The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Jillette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
If you don't skip in the park...why dance?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Huh, okay. That rock music connection to Penn's hand symbol makes sense. I recall him using the symbol elsewhere, so its display after the dance didn't simply appear to be contextual to the routine's theme.

Granted that Penn is a newbie, and six weeks (or whatever) prior to taping had perhaps never tried dancing. All of my feet were left ones when I began dancing in the 90's (that's 1990's, wise guy), some might wryly observe that they still are, but...

To categorically state that Penn is incapable of finesse on the dance floor makes no more sense to me than claiming that small hands preclude the acquisition of card sleights. If Penn perseveres -- perhaps watching certain scenes from "Fantasia" for inspiration -- he could become a competent, graceful dancer. Not Fred Astaire, but no longer Shrek, either.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Lobo, you'll appreciate this. I had tickets to see Ozzie Osborne perform in Orlando in March of 1982. Those hip to Ozzie know that I never saw him perform and why.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2008-03-27 22:20, Leland Stone wrote:
To categorically state that Penn is incapable of finesse on the dance floor makes no more sense to me than claiming that small hands preclude the acquisition of card sleights. If Penn perseveres -- perhaps watching certain scenes from "Fantasia" for inspiration -- he could become a competent, graceful dancer. Not Fred Astaire, but no longer Shrek, either.

You know, my tiny-handed wife has tried slight-of-hand many times, but has only been able to succeed when performing the "Baffle Bat" paddle trick. That being said, I've never thought of Penn as being graceful, but then again, I never saw him dance. I do know that, with my two left feet, I tend to dance as little as possible, even when helped by a professional dance choreographer. (Then again, I kick my wife's butt when we play DDR as well, but I probably shouldn't admit that...)

-Erik (day 27)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2920 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2008-03-26 01:13, Leland Stone wrote:
Perhaps if he had listened to the judges and implemented their advice rather than contesting their considered analysis of his efforts. He did seem a good deal more gracious and sportsman-like tonight than he did previously, however.

One of the reason that the producers put Penn and Adam Carola on the show was to spice it up. They encourage these two to talk back to the judges. And the judges advice was little more than, "you need to work on your footwork." In the words of Simon Lovell, "Thank you, Captain Obvious."

Penn has no regrets about the experience. He was there to do the best he could, and he did not hold back at all. He spent six month getting into the best shape he could and worked to the limit to be the best dancer possible. Though he is a wonderful juggler, he is not an overly physical person. Add to that a condition that limits what can be done with those feet and you understand what he was up against.

But the end result was that last night's Penn & Teller show at the Rio broke attendance records. And though Penn was completely sincere in his efforts to compete on Dancing with the Stars, that bump in the box office was what this was really all about.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I thought Penn did fine (I can barely walk let alone dance). I really thought Adam would get it.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2008-03-27 23:11, EsnRedshirt wrote:

You know, my tiny-handed wife has tried slight-of-hand many times, but has only been able to succeed when performing the "Baffle Bat" paddle trick. That being said, I've never thought of Penn as being graceful, but then again, I never saw him dance. I do know that, with my two left feet, I tend to dance as little as possible, even when helped by a professional dance choreographer. (Then again, I kick my wife's butt when we play DDR as well, but I probably shouldn't admit that...)

-Erik (day 27)

Hm. That reminds me of a post about a woodshop student who was told by an idiotic instructor that he really wasn't suited for woodworking. That student, rightly thumbing his nose at the instructor (mentally, if not actually) went on to build nice Magic props for himself. Smile

Point is, if humans can do it, other humans can do it, too. Not with equal profiency, perhaps -- I'll never be the manipulator that McBride is, nor the showman that is Burton, for example. And Penn won't be the next Astaire. But each of us has the necessary materiel with which to recreate the abilities demonstrated by others (some of us, like Rene Lavand, have a good deal less), and the claim that a physical deficiency prevents one's progress in a particular pursuit is often unwarranted.

Would the pseudonymous Mr. Erdnase be so kind as to chime in?

"The beginner invariably imagines his hands are too small or too large, but the size has little to do with the possibilities of skill." [The Expert At The Card Table]

Leland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Jillette (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL