The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The ForWorkersOnly forum - Michael Close (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2009-04-19 15:37, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
ForWorkersOnly is a dead site. Mike's given it up, with only a few people posting things. It says there are 430 users, but 200 appeared in March and are just promoting spam sites in their profiles.

So true Chris, so true. In fact I believe that others here would be blasting those who did do the same as Mike.

This seems to be a pattern as of late. Magicians selling products and not delivering knowing full well nothing will come of it. Then just to reappear and sell more products with glowing and giddy reviews and start the cycle all over again.

But, it's our fault for supporting such characters and having such short memories.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, magicians are more easily fooled than the audiences that we perform for. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Ed, I guess because of Mike's stature in the community and the standards he sets for others, I expected more. I certainty expected him to at least be upfront in December when I asked if he lost interest in the site and he said he hadn't ( he most certainly has lost interest ).

Here's great review of For Workers Only:

http://www.wootmagic.com/2008/12/04/forw......-hardly/
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I to expected more from Mike because of his stature in the magic community. He definitly dropped the ball on this one.

Thanks for the link Chris.
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Michael T
I guess mike must be busy working that's why he is not writing for the workers Smile
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Michael should CLOSE the forum!

And, give us our cash back.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I hope you don't want to wait forever. Smile
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Result!!!!

Has anyone else asked for their cash back?
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
Well, because of these unemployment times, it's difficult these days to have a "for workers only." It's apparently not a good business model. We are part of the experience.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Very strange and unlike Close to behave this way. He's complained of being seriously ill a couple of times over the last year.

Perhaps, Mike is having health issues.

Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I hope he's ok. I wouldn't like to think I've been giving him a hard time if he's seriously ill. Maybe someone here knows?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Look, it's a simple matter to post a notice on his site if that's the case. Even if he is SERIOUSLY ill, a friend, family member, or his webmaster could post a notice stating that the site is closed and the reason why. It would LITERALLY take less than two minutes.

I don't wish Mike or anyone else any harm, but like I said, there is next to no effort required to communicate the status and the reason for that status.

When The Café goes down, Steve posts a notice telling us why, and this site is FREE!

I'm very disappointed in Mr. Close on this one. Very unprofessional behavior from someone who knows better.

Like I said, I'm glad I didn't pony up! I was going to but just hadn't got around to it, thank goodness!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I, too, had very high hopes for that forum, and they were not met. One of the bonuses of being a member was a prize given every month. Perhaps we could have seen the demise coming when, in the last year, only one seems to be given away. Mike said it was too hard to do. I've always respected Mike as a very gifted and funny performer and was seriously hoping that he would provide members with some insight to becoming a better worker. Of course, his new job as MUM editor will take a lot of time, and if he IS having health issues, I can see that would as well.
I really think this is a case of Mike biting off more than he can chew. I won't be asking for a refund, as I have too much respect for Mike for that. He's given me enough advice over the years to warrant my membership fee. I just won't be renewing my subscription. I can't imagine anyone would.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
When you trade in respect for cash, nobody wins.

If all he's hoping for is that nobody renews their membership, and then it all goes away quietly, that's really about as dismissive and disrespectful as you can get.

In the end, it appears as if Close made a few thousand dollars, and then completely and totally failed to deliver what he promised he'd deliver.
Guys like Luke Jermay get roasted over hot coals for doing the exact same thing. I'm not sure Close deserves any less the roasting for this little escapade.

Of course, a note from Close explaining what's going on would not only restore the respect for paid up members that's currently (and terribly obviously) missing, but it would also be the "man-up" thing to do.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I wonder if Mike actually knows he has a few disgruntled customers?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
A guy would have to know that he hasn't uploaded anything new to his website for months?

I suspect there's something personal at play here, and all it would take is a note to the members indicating what 'it' was and, further, begging their forgiveness.

Most online communities are quite forgiving of their hosts if life's circumstances cause their online community to cease to be. As long as members are told what's up, and aren't out a ton of money, most just let it go.

In this case, though, not saying anything only creates animosity.........as we see.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I e-mailed Mike and asked him for an update.

Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Received an email from Mike (probably prompted by Chris's email). Unfortunately, he has threatened to ban me from his forum if I relate any of the information contained within the email here.

So, I'm not going to say anything that might get me banned.

But what I can say is that I feel disappointed with his response. Not quite what I expected from Mike!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Well, I can't be banned, since I tried to join but was never allowed access. But I still received the email, so I guess it must have gone into his system when I tried to join.

Without going into detail, he basically said he was too busy to participate much, but felt people got their money's worth already, and they should participate without him.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I don't see the point in contributing to a forum which won't exist in the future!

I feel let down. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Back in December, I called him out on his abandoning the site and his members. He could have admitted it, but instead gave a lame excuse ( he was just too busy to be involved ) and denied he lost interest.

Talk about smoke and mirrors.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The ForWorkersOnly forum - Michael Close (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL