The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The ForWorkersOnly forum - Michael Close (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4986 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Check this out:

michaelclose
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
821 Posts

Profile of Maestro
I saw this in my e-mail... I thought about joining, but ultimately decided to hold off. Anyone else have any comments?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Michael's site "may" be the future. Genii now requires you to subscribe to the the Magazine in order to post to the online forum Here's what it looks like: http://www.forworkersonly.com
They now at this point have 72 registered users.

Michael e-mailed:

Lisa and I have started a new venture – an Internet forum for magicians. There are, of course, several forums out there already. It is my dissatisfaction with these existing forums that prompted the development of this new forum. In the early 1990s, I was one of the people who helped Joe Stevens with the start-up of his Gemini Board. At the time, I was excited by the possibilities that the Internet held for useful, stimulating, and creative discussion. Unfortunately, this type of discourse rarely appeared; instead, topics were sidetracked by inane responses, misinformation, or personal attacks.

To keep out the troublemakers and the merely curious there will be a small subscription fee (but wait until you hear the deal we have for you!) and all members of the forum will post using their real names.
-------------------------------------------
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Chris, Genii has done away with the magazine subscription requirement in order to post. It's now back to the way it was.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 19:20, edh wrote:
Chris, Genii has done away with the magazine subscription requirement in order to post. It's now back to the way it was.

Oh, really? I hadn't heard. Did they give a reason?

I just saw this

Kaufman posted:

"After further thought, I have decided that anyone (not just Genii readers) will be able to register and once again post on the Forum. I preferred it when there were a higher number of active posts".

mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
No disrespect to the Genii forum (or this one for that matter - I enjoy mostly lurking on both), but my goal is quality of information over quantity of posts.

We already have 70+ members. I've begun an in-depth, chapter-by-chapter discussion of Henning Nelms's Magic & Showmanship, and will soon (in the next 24 hours or so) kick off the discussion of The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks and The Phoenix.

I'm looking for people who are serious about their magic and who are willing to participate.

Best wishes,

Close
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
I will absolutely be joining soon.

I think Mike Close has one of the very best minds in the business and having ready access to whatever he is working on is easily worth the price of admission.

Dan
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Two aspects on why I think this will be a success. One has already been touched upon and that is the fee. There will be more signal, less noise. The "gossipers" will stick to the free sites.

But for me, the key element is the real names. I have always believed that if you post with your real name and face as avatar, people feel like they are having a real conversation. It also helps cut down on those registering under multiple names to pitch their latest wares.

Bravo and wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor!

Scott
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I joined. I think anyone that uses Mike's material should think about supporting this project.

You get a $20 credit as a new member, so I also ordered "That Reminds Me: Finding The Funny in a Serious World". I started listening last nigth and at soem points, I laughed so hard I had tears come from my eyes. I have a great sense of humor and appreciate a funny joke, but it takes allot for me to laugh out loud at a joke.

There are now 131 members and it's growing.

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The two "magic" books not having a lot to do with magic I've purchased in the last year (that have a permanent place on my bookshelf) are "That Reminds Me" by Mike, and "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin.

Sometimes you need to read books with truly funny stuff in them just to stay sane.

Truly funny can be difficult to come by in this rather troublesome decade.

Sounds like joining Mikes site essentially gets you a "free" copy of his new book.........not a bad deal Smile
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
I just wanted to give you a heads up that the one-year subscription fee to the Forworkersonly.com forum will be going up. Based on the comments and emails I have received from the members of the forum, I believe that the $30 per year fee does not adequately reflect the quality of the information offered. So, on Sunday, June 8, 2008 the fee will go up to $40. The download bonus will stay in effect, which means that you receive $20 to apply to any of our downloads. However, on July 1, 2008 the download offer will end. If you have been thinking about joining the forum, now’s the time to do so. You can information about joining here:

http://www.michaelclose.com/index.php?ma......ts_id=21

Thanks.

Close
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
That's too much for me. I get all the information I need from the Magic Café and the Genii forum.
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
Same here Andi. Would love to join, but the price is too high...anyway, have fun guys.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
172 members are now on For Workers Only and it's growing. If you perform, there is a wealth of info. With the download offer, it's like getting a year membership for free.

Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-06-29 20:03, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
172 members are now on For Workers Only and it's growing. If you perform, there is a wealth of info. With the download offer, it's like getting a year membership for free.

Is there anybody of particular note that hangs out there?

If so I might reconsider.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-07-01 16:35, Andi Peters wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-29 20:03, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

Is there anybody of particular note that hangs out there?

If so I might reconsider.

I guess because you pay, it wouldn't be for me to say. Perhaps contact Michael with any questions.

Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I've just been to the site and noticed that the newest member is:

{cigarette|cheap cigarette|discount cigarette|marlboro cigarette|camel cigarette|cigarette store|cigarette cases|buy cigarette|online

When I click on the name it takes me to a website selling cheap cigarettes.

I'm sure this isn't what the forum was intended for!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Last week it was cheap condoms. In this economy, we need all the help we can get.

:rotf:

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 07:28, Andi Peters wrote:
That's too much for me. I get all the information I need from the Magic Café and the Genii forum.

I agree! WAY too much money!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and stand at intersections and wash windscreens.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 08:55, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 07:28, Andi Peters wrote:

I agree! WAY too much money!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and stand at intersections and wash windscreens.

Just wait until the credit crunch hits Aus. You may end up doing what you say! Here in the uk work is drying up faster than you can say 'book me please'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The ForWorkersOnly forum - Michael Close (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL