The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Going at the website again , please help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
OKay guys I'm going to put up my website , this time its all my orginal content

please tell me what you think.

http://www.partiesbyjerry.co.nr

thank you
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
Getting much better Jerry.

Put a few more pictures of you and the kids up there. Make the fonts match on all the pages so that it looks more professional. Other then that you are doing better. No Huggies ads and No google ads is good.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
B-Rad
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
What Brad said.....Looks much better. I'm glad to see that you took the criticism and suggestions and took positive action. Sorry for being rude the first time around.....your reactions show a maturity and desire to do the right thing, and I applaud you for that.

It's OK to look at other performers websites and get ideas as to layout, fonts, themes, etc; After looking at several you should get an idea of what is professional and what is hokey......and make updates and corrections to your site accordingly. I update my website with new information, new styles, new stuff every few weeks, so it'll always be a work in progress.

Good start on making the much needed improvements, but don't stop here.....always be looking for ways to improve the site and more importantly, ways to drive traffic to the site. After all, the site is only worthwhile if prospective clients find it, log onto it and browse it easily.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Your party tips can also be found here:-

http://www.allaboutclown.com/hints.html
http://www.doodadmagic.com/index.php?pr=Party_Tips
http://www.shoregreatmagic.com/planner.htm

Perhaps your content is not as original as you thought?
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Nicholas,

That's impossible. Jerry said "this time its all my original content."

Maybe those others copied Jerry? Or maybe Jerry's father's friend is up to his old tricks again. Anyway, it can't possibly be that Jerry is fundamentally dishonest. Can it? Next you'll be suggesting he made up those quotes on his testimonials page from "Birthday Mom" and "Birthday Dad."

James
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I own a pump like that and I think you need an original pump. I'm tired of people using my pump...and cards, I use cards, you better not use cards.....
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
If you're starting out I think it probably makes more sense to use party tips from someone who knows what they are talking about. As long as you have permission of course.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Yes, It is much better, still needs work in the area of fonts, Dump the red font, reduce the sizing Bold ONLY WHAT ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to be Bolded Like PHONE NUMBER,

Dump the Free Website (Links on the home page say unprofessional.)

I couldn't find any benefits you are providing me as you client. The "What are you doing for ME" is missing.

If you do get any gigs, These are musts:
1. Get a Testimonail: Prove the paper, Two or three open end questions and an envelope with a stamp.
2. Use the money to by a domin name and Hosting area. (No Free Domains)
3. Find or accept help related to creating a great page template. Then fill in the text.

Cafe post: Website Production

Below are Some Great Webdesigners Which I think are worty of consideration to do your website for a fee. Sometimes it is quicker to let the professional web designer create a website so you can get more gigs just by virtue of the "Look of the Website". Look at each and ask yourself some questions.
Is this me?
Do I like this format?
Will my potential customers (Prospects) like the page?
Is it magical?

Presto Productions
Grafix Ink Websites
Elgin Webdesigns for Entertainers

I looked at Brad Kids Magic Website (Bradley Roberts) and it is just great, if he designed it, and has offered to do you web sit... Jump at it. He knows what he is doing and talking about.

Although I don't do website for a living, I do understand them and do do them for close friends, Here is a focused website I designed for a Daycare Magician:
McDonnell's Magic Please note the spelling of his name. It is unusal and many people spell it McDonald (Like the fast food chain)So I bought http://www.McDonaldsMagic.com which redirects to this website.

There is so much more to a web design than one thinks. Therefore, give serious consideration to paying someone who you clearly have seen their work. My Son paid $2,000 for a Commercial Website only to toss it for his designs were much better. (He has 6 years of Computer College education but didn't have the time, only to realize, he had more knowledge than the designer.) Know what you are getting.

As of this point in time, the above sites are the only ones I saved which appear to be professional designs including B-Rad's site.

BTW, I could write a booklet just on B-Rad's Website, Choice of Colors, Fonts, Header, Footer, Tag Lines, Content, Menu, Use of Style Sheets, Code and Scripts.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
4.99 a month hosting at godaddy. You gotta have that much $$
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
Thank you everyone for your help. With school and family issues Ive been busy lately but now that spring break is on I can finally settle down . but again I can't thank everyone enough !
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
This reminds me of my first site through Geo cities.(yahoo)

Everyone has to start somewhere...

Over the years, I have learned many things from middle and high school students about computers and websites...

Keep growing and glowing.

Harris

2 old to know everything
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
So we are cool with the whole plagarism and/or unoriginal material then?
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Thanks Dennis for the nice comment. I think the pictures on the site say more then anything for me. I have been hired many times just how a look. I know I am goofy looking but I am still shocked to this day people pay me to look that way. If the keep paying I am going to do it everyday. Funny thing is closet has more of my show outfits then I have normal clothes. Now that is scary.

As far as Jerry's website. If you feel that he is ripping someone off, not having original material, or you just don't like how it looks, why bash him. If you don't like something let me know or even help it out. This makes you a better person. You can help someone young become something in the crazy business of children entertainment. We don't want to chase someone off just because they are learning. We all had to start somewhere and learn too.

Jerry is taking a lot of advise from us now and is pro-active it getting it done right. I give him credit for that.

Jerry keep up the good work!

Cheers,
B-Rad
Brad Kids Magic Website
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Brad,

You cause me to look into "PGM-REALTIME-BUILDER"
Dennis Michael
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Hehehe... it is one of the main files in PHP that run my sites. Smile
Brad Kids Magic Website
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Brad - I agree that we should give him a chance and that we are all guilty of the occasional mistake. Since you were so forgiving of him pinching your pictures

But now his "all orginal content" is actually found on other websites! Do you think we should forgive him a second time?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
My comments on starting somewhere is not to say using others material is ok.

Just my own use of words and photos have improved over time.

Even when I write something myself...my writing is influenced by others.

Imitation is not flattery when I notice other folks using my catch phrases...yes I did research/stealing in my younger years....

My time in comedy clubs taught me it was not appreciated or tolerated.

Harris
2 old to know everything.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
The thing is, with things such as 'Party Tips', what one performer gives as advice won't work for another performer. One performer may want children to be supervised (say 1 adult to every 10 children), another performer may not need this. Maybe not a great example but the professional tips you're giving have to be your own from personal experience. How can you give party tips if you have no experience doing parties (not aimed at Jerry, just in general).

Hope that makes sense, I know what I'm trying to say but harder to word it!

Mark
Mark Daniel
justini
View Profile
New user
Salisbury, MD
54 Posts

Profile of justini
Regarding the Party Tips. Those tips are from Ross McRae's Birthday Party Business DVD which he sells. It is really a excellent resource for those starting out. I personally started with it and now can say I have been performing for about 1 year(15 years as a hobbyist), which I know is virtually nothing in comparison to most here on the Café, so don't flame me please. Ross gives full permission for anyone who purchases his DVD to use the content on their own websites. He even gives you access to his website, since he is now retired, to use the material. While I do not advocate copying and pasting, I can say that for myself I had full permission from Ross to use it as an owner of his DVD. Over the course of the year I have changed a lot of my web content to reflect my own experiences. And after reading this thread and realizing that many are using those party tips, I gave that some thought and changed them too. Thank you to Mr. Johnson for bringing this to my attention.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks, Justin, for clearing up the facts about the origins of that set of party tips. (I said on another thread, that there is a different set of party tips that originated from Eric Paul's materials.)

If anyone is using them, but hasn't purchased Ross' DVD, then they should buy his DVD asap, so they have the "re-print rights" to use them on their website. It's the right thing to do.

Here's where a person can purchase Ross' DVDs: http://www.goodmagic.com/websales/index_magic.htm

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Going at the website again , please help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL