The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wait for NEW iCue2 PA or purchase iCue2? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
343 Posts

Profile of dlachance
I just spoke to a VSM rep and they said it will be another 4 to 6 weeks before the iCue2 PA is available. I am ready to purchase but I don't know if I should just go ahead and get the iCue2 for my ipod and existing passport system (and smaller PA that I have for birthdays) or wait it out and get the iCue2 PA.

The pros would be that everything is contained in one box. The cons are everything is contained in one box. If something fails the whole system goes back. Plus, new technology like this is always iffy.

Should I just go with the tried and true iCue2 or wait for the PA.

What to do, what to do. Anythoughts from the pros would be helpful.
Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Well, as a guy who talks to the VSM reps on an (almost) weekly basis...if you haven't discovered this, Kelly has (and I do NOT work for Kelly or VSM in ANY capacity other than a very satisfied customer!) 20 original iCue2 units set up for FAST sale in a closeout. Less than $500, and you can get an iPod from him for around $60 to go with it.

My iCue2 Soundbox PA (as everybody here knows from my other thread/posts) is on order, and I'm patiently awaiting delivery. I do have an original iCue2 that I'm using.

As far as pros and cons...you're right, that's why I always have a redundant system IN CASE anything should go wrong. My original iCue2 has never had a problem, and I don't forsee the new one having any. If it did, VSM would stand behind their quality.

I meant to bring my iCue2 down to your IBM meeting 2 weeks ago to show everybody what it's capable of doing. With Tom (Terrific) Smith there, however, I doubt I would've had time. Just drove off and 10 miles towards you, realized that I'd forgotten it.

Steve
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
343 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Thanks a bunch Steve.....

Your advice helpful as usual.

Take care,
Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Dorian

Check out the mp3 tech. You saw how it worked at the convention we met at.

Ken
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
343 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Thanks Ken...I did talk to Joe Lefler for some time about the mp3 tech at the convention. I do like it very much. Is there a reason in your mind why it stands out over the iCue2?

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
Steve,

I'm new to the Café, but not new to performing and I have been researching all of the systems out there.

Do you know by chance if the "Close-outs" that you mentioned work for the newest/current generation of IPODs, as that is what I currently own?

Thanks for the assistance!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
THAT...I don't know. Being that they're still in the shop, Kelly probably has the latest firmware installed in the iCue2 units.

I feel your pain on the "researching". I spent 9 months looking at all the available systems, and even got to use a couple of them before deciding. Used the ShowTech for 15 years, and quite frankly, got tired of the miscues and getting off track in the middle of the shows. Got to "testdrive" the "Performer" system, and hated the thought of having to use a laptop. Who has the room to put one of those out visible during a smaller show? Got the iCue2, and it's never failed, the learning curve is virtually nonexistent for setup/programming, and it's the perfect size to be placed in a visible spot during shows, and still being quite inconspicuous.

PM me, and we can talk...

Steve

Steve
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
MP3 tech does everything and more. First and foremost 100% great customer service. The display is wireless. the remote is smaller much easier to conceal. Learing curve on the MP3 nothing. Showtech system sure it was harder to learn but again it was the best for its time. Kerry has now made a system that goes way past the other systems out there.

PM me and we can talk. . .
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I got to test the MP3 Tech as well, without the wireless display. I didn't like the fact that I had to find a place to keep the display unit, which was larger than some of the props I used, and the display itself couldn't be seen from far away, as the large display of the iCue2 can, and the iPrompter scrolling text display (which displays whatever text your iPod is showing for that particular track) can, too. With different backlight capabilities and different text sizes, both change with just a touch of a button. The original MP3 Tech didn't have the capability of changing show track order at the venue ("on the fly"), but apparently, that's finally been corrected. With the iCue2, you're not limited to any number of shows being stored, as you use the "on the go" playlist on your iPod to set your show. Last minute (heck, last SECOND) changes only take about 10 seconds. Also, the iCue2 has 2 built-in speakers on the rear, so, to preview a track, there's no need to get out the speakers or sound system to accomplish that. Speakers automatically turn off when a line is plugged into it.

Apparently, I used the term "closeouts" for the iCue2 stock, and that's totally incorrect. That line isn't being closed out, just a few there to move from a tradeshow. Less than $500 will get an original iCue2 unit.

I use the "click-feel" remote with my iCue2 (and that's what's coming with my iCue2 Soundbox PA), so the size is irrelevant, as it's in your pocket, and no need to palm or hide anything. Also, the new Soundbox PA has a feature that NO other system has...it's all in one package! Speakers, amp, 16-channel wireless mic with either a handheld, lavalier or headset mic. Carry the unit in, set it down (or put it on a mic stand (the flange is built into the bottom), put on the beltpack wireless mic, power up and you're set.

Steve
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
So Dorian, as you see here, what it comes down to is that you need to buy both VSM and the MP3 tech systems lol .
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
It'll also depend upon what you want to use for an audio source, either an iPod or an SD card.

Steve
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Dorian,

An IPOD Nano is basically an SD card.

Check this video out about the Mp3Tech.

http://www.wirelesswizardry.com/PlaylistDemo/Playlist.htm

The MP3Tech has features not available on the Icue2. Such as individual auto pause time between tracks, individual volume control, and custom fades.

The Icue2 (iPrompter) has a lcd display that you plug in to a phone line, the Mp3Tech display is wireless. But the iPrompter has 3 different display sizes.

The Mp3Tech has a nice little keyfob remotes. The Icue requires you to press the button a certain length in order for an Autopuase, if you press it wrong you just lower the music volume.

Several Icue2 users have Posted that their units have mistriggred or frozen in the middle of their show. I havn't seen anyone make this comment about the MP3Tech.

The fact is that an IPOD was not designed to be controlled by a remote control, as some of us know we sometimes have problems controlling an IPod with the click wheel. Though the VirtualSoundman people have done a great job building the Icue2. In contrast the MP3Tech was designed to be controlled by a remote control.

The iCue Soundbox PA looks like a good buy for small living room shows. But if you are doing large outdoor shows I would consider another buy. If I read their ad correctly the 2 speaker system is blasting out at 60 watts, which should cover about 50 people max indoors, in a quite setting.

The choice is yours.

I own a MiniCue, 3 IPods, 3 PC laptops,MP3Tech, and tons of remotes.

G0THIKE
Joan Spydel
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Joan Spydel
Well, my gosh, there you go again mr. Gothike,

I met Kelly Duro at the Florida NSA convention 2 years ago, and had the opportunity to use the Sound Box recently. As far as the Sound Box goes, it is loud enough to cover an outdoor lot filled with about 300 people as it did for my City Walk Keynote last week. Not just 50, that is just silly. It did a great job, and I feel confident about using it, I love it.

I have an iPod and it is not an SD card, far from it. Their iPrompter is not an lcd, it is a bright florescent display of some kind. I tried it outdoors and I could still see it clearly.

Another thing, you don’t have to press a button for autopause, because autopause is just that, autopause. The more I read what you write, I am convinced these are disparaging comments, meant to mislead folks away.

Finally, I happen to be an acquaintance with one of the iPod & I/O Technology Evangelists for a few years now, and that is how I initially came to be introduced to Kelly Duro, and found this forum in a google search while trying to reconnect just recently.

Now when I see gothike write:
“The fact is that an IPOD was not designed to be controlled by a remote control”

I just have to say, this has to be the most imprudent statements I have seen yet. I know this from my professional connection with Apple, and that the whole “made for iPod” certification program was born to help foster supporting technologies so that Apple can help spawn dependable accessories, and as a result, it has become gloriously successful. Kelly explained to me how difficult this task was to become certified, and how long it took initially, but he did it. So, Yes, iPod's were made to be controlled by a remote, just ask Bose, or Belkin, or a host of others. This is why I feel comfortable with the Virtual Soundman corp.

sorry, I am really not trying to be rude.

Joan.
Being authentic, is being Beautiful.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Joan,

Welcome back, I am so glad you decided to POST again after I mentioned the ICue2.

Sorry I wasn't clear. But as an owner of a MiniCue and MP3Tech I just wanted to share some info.

I will make myself a little more clear.

1)The Icue2 uses a contained Vacuum florescent display, its still not wireless. A fancy LCD type display. The MP3Tech is wirless.

2)An Ipod Nano uses flash memory sorta like a SD card. So it basically it is a fancy SD card with firmware (software) and a controller. They are both used to store MP3's and music from several codecs.

3)Apple was not happy when people started grabbing track info with remote control units and displaying them on LCD screens. Some "Inside" person shared that info.

4) The ICue2 has Autopause as does the MP3Tech. That means it automatically pauses between tracks. But when you have to stop the music for some odd reason with a fade then you have to press a button on the remote. The problem with that button is that it serves a dual purpose, if you press it fast it lowers the volume, now if you press it and hold for a second it will fade. This means you might experience problems, maybe you will get used to it. Now the MP3Tech is just one push of a button.

5) Now to elaborate the statement:
“The fact is that an IPOD was not designed to be controlled by a remote control”.

The Ipod goes into sleep mode to save battery life when it is not playing a song. To prevent sleep mode when a song is not playing in the IPOD, the Icue is sending forward and rewind signals at certain intervals. Now during a long show the IPOD buffer might get full, the switching back and forth can possibly lock up the IPOD. That is what I belief is happening to some users that have complaints and lock-ups. The MP3Tech was developed from scratch for our magic show purposes while the ICue was built to control another manufacturers item, an IPOD for our magic show purposes.

6) Why am I bothering its 3:30am in the morning. Sorry for the grammer and mispells.

Anyhow, Joan please share with us your experience with the Icue Boombox. I am glad you received your system. So how many total watts is the Icue2 Boombox? The 2 speaker and the 3 speaker.

G0THIKE
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I think you have the "boombox" confused with the "Soundbox PA". The boombox version of the iCue2 is just as it sounds, made from the pre-existing housing of a large boombox. The Soundbox PA has more output power and is in a custom housing, made for exactly this unit.

To each his own choice, however. I know from my personal experience that I didn't like the large size of the (albeit wireless) display with the MP3 Tech and the need to find a place to set it (it's really too large to mount it somewhere inconspicuously) with it's large footprint. Also having the built-in speakers on the rear of the iCue2 unit simplifies things greatly when previewing a track.

Steve
dmm
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of dmm
I have to say the Gothike was kind enough to email a friend of mine who is a pretty big performer a few months back and gave him some great advice, even recommending Virtual Soundman?

After researching everyone's post's here it seems everyone has their preferences and loyalties, and that is a GOOD thing that their is not only one system, each have their advantages, and some probably can be improved.

All in all I appreciate everyones advice, and will be sending some more PM's to research.

Even though I only perform about 100 shows a year, I just want to make sure I make the best choice.

Thanks!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Check the latest edition of "Magic"..page 32, and you'll see the ad for Virtual Soundman with all the contact info and a list of some of the big names who currently use this system. I first got acquainted with the VSM products when I saw Brian Gillis perform locally and we had lunch the next day and discussed sound systems. Also, Jeff Hobson speaks highly, too!

Steve
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Steve,

I wrote that post at 3:30am to Joan Spydel. I honestly am surprised she is able to reach 300 people outdoors as she claims with that boombox. Maybe Yamaha, Peavey and every audio engineer should hire the developers of VSM to build their PA systems since they seem to crank so much sound out of a little unit.

Their new Soundbox unit from the picture looks like it is using 5 inch speakers.

I just hate it when a company advertises that it can cover 400 people from 2 little 5 inch speakers.

Maybe they reinvented the wheel.

To EVERYONE else,

Talk to Kerry Pollack from WirelessWizardry and his MP3Tech is compatible with an IPOD. That means you can hookup your IPOD to his system to control your sound.

Also I am sure he can also sell you some scrolling display such as the VSM one.

The decision is yours.

G0THIKE
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Dmm could not have said it better, people do have their preferences and loyalties. I lecture often doing other magicians from around the world and when I get to the part about adding sound/music to ones act I talk about what I use MP3tech and I talk about others things that are out there like VSM. I tell people there are options.

For what I do the mp3 tech is great for me. By the way Steve if I 'need" to (which I have not) I can plug my ipod headphones up to my MP3 tech and listen to the tracks if need be, no big deal there. the display not sure what you meant by it being bigger? If I recall it is smaller than the VSM one? You can put it on the foot of the stage or in your case , very easy. It can go anywhere it is WIRELESS.

I must say I saw a show last month where the performer was using the VSM and he had everything attached to the speaker. He had the display attached there as well. It was stage left and all I could see was a rather distration was the display I think blinking or scrolling so everyone could see. The performer had it turned side ways so he could see it but any body on that side of the room saw the diplay displaying.

As far as the AD? Look on Kerry's site and you will see some of the top guys in the feild using his system. http://www.wirelesswizardry.com/

To each his own but I want people to be aware of the other things that are available besides VSM. Seems the FX section has turned into the VSM section.

Best
Ken
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Ken,

No, people are free to choose whichever system is best for them, and there are more than just the WW and the VSM, as well. Just letting people know the features. I thing the big plus is the all-in-one system, including amp and speakers all in one single unit to carry. I'm getting too old to carry my 2 Peavey 112 (old style cabinets) speakers around. My back's just not up to it. If I can bring one unit in, less than 10 pounds, with everything built in and nothing to hook up or plug in, that would be the thing. If I needed to, I could take a line out of the iCue2 Soundbox, and plug into a house system or larger system of my own, too.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wait for NEW iCue2 PA or purchase iCue2? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL