The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It is getting closer. The Olympics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
How would you like to be an athlete that worked all his or her life towards the Olympics, only to find out when your time comes that it's being held in China and you are going to be used as a cog in their propaganda machine? I wouldn't go.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I wouldn't go, either. I'm all for locking in the boycott right now.

But it won't happen, because I fear it's even more about money than politics. Samsung carries more weight than all the world's discus throwers combined.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I agree Vandy. I still don't understand why China was picked as the home for the 2008 olympics. There were and are a lot of more deserving nations that could have hosted the olympics this year. Really makes you wonder who there going to pick for the 2011 olymipcs maybe Iraq? How about North Korea? Iran? Given the conditions of I.O.C. now adays I woundn't even put it past them to put those place on the list.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Randy, the lovey-dovey utopian "Olympic Movement" peace types...well...they thought that the olympics could be used to change and shape and improve China's politics.

It may be one of the greatest examples of naivety in the history of the world.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 14:26, stoneunhinged wrote:
It may be one of the greatest examples of naivety in the history of the world.

You may be right. It was a stupid idea.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Not to defend China, which would be indefensible...

Every city and country that hosts the Olympics uses it as a propaganda tool - we did it in Sydney - you guys do it - the Chinese will of course do it.

And as an international event there's probably some belief on the part of the organisers that it should move around the world a bit - everyone should have a go.

Destiny
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I don't think or beleive that "everyone should have a go." There are many nations that shouldn't even be looked at for the olympics. China was one of them. The others I named in My first post in this thread shouldn't even come to mind either but I'm just about certain that in the not too distant future they will be thought of and allowed to host the games. Maybe it's time to just put the olympics in moth balls and forget it for several years then see what happens.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Anyway I think we will all have a tear in our eye when Slim King enters the stadium carrying the flag for Jim Callahan.

Destiny
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 14:38, plasticdestiny wrote:
Not to defend China, which would be indefensible...

Every city and country that hosts the Olympics uses it as a propaganda tool - we did it in Sydney - you guys do it - the Chinese will of course do it.

And as an international event there's probably some belief on the part of the organisers that it should move around the world a bit - everyone should have a go.

Destiny

Why not have it in North Korea then? China is committing violations of freedom and human rights on a scale that is far larger than what people shed crocodile tears over in the Western world. There is no reason to give legitimacy to the Chinese State by allowing them to host an International event like the Olympics.

If you think it would be "unfair" to deny China the Olympics, look at the unfairness with which China treats it's citizens.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
3 words: Weather Control Guns!

On a less bizarre note, I have a passing curiosity with the idea that the 2008 olympics may well be seen as an olympic milestone on par with the 1936 summer games... All hosting countries use the Olympics, moreso or less-so, as a stump for political propaganda, and this one is already shaping up as a dozie...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Why should China who has never given the slightest consideration to the "International Communities" pleas to clean up it's act on issues such as human rights, freedomn and even the environment, be allowed to host, or frankly, even compete in an International event?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 14:52, Vandy Grift wrote:
Why should China who has never given the slightest consideration to the "International Communities" pleas to clean up it's act on issues such as human rights, freedomn and even the environment, be allowed to host, or frankly, even compete in an International event?

Devil's advocate, here... but not inviting them would be on par with having a so-called "World Series" and then not inviting the rest of the world to play!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
China treats many many of it's citizens much much harsher than any Western country.

China is most certainly 'unfair' in it's treatment of it's citizens. (Not that I used the word placed in quotation marks)

Australia has grown very rich selling minerals to China for it's current industrial growth. That growth is paid for by the citizens of Western countries buying lots of Chinese goods. Why not hit them where it really hurts - perhaps because we want either the sales or the consumer goods.

The Olympics is shining a spotlight on Chinas human rights abuses which the activists in Tibet have certainly realised.

Destiny
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 14:55, gaddy wrote:

Devil's advocate, here... but not inviting them would be on par with having a so-called "World Series" and then not inviting the rest of the world to play!

So what? We also have a Miss Universe pageant and only Earth girls are allowed to compete.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I thought there was a representative from Uranus last year?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 14:58, plasticdestiny wrote:
The Olympics is shining a spotlight on Chinas human rights abuses which the activists in Tibet have certainly realised.

Destiny

There have been thousands of spotlights shining on Chinas human right abuses for a long time. Taking them off the list of possible hosts (and telling the entire world why) would send a much stronger message than allowing them the honor of hosting the thing, wouldn't it?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I personally think if we stopped making the ruling 'comrades' rich it would send a stronger message.

Destiny
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Two different issues. Not that I disagree. I think we trade way too freely with China. The Chinese are driving costs through the roof in my industry.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 15:00, plasticdestiny wrote:
I thought there was a representative from Uranus last year?

Not sure, I'd have to look into that one...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » It is getting closer. The Olympics (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL