The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Tear Down by Andrew Mayne - Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Tear Down by Andrew Mayne:

http://www.itricks.com/store/

This is the greatest torn and restored newspaper ever.

Before I get into the review, here's some things to know:

*Completely impromptu.
*No gimmick
*No setup
*No duplicates
*Nothing to add
*Signed and borrowed newspaper
*Can be done with any size newspaper, as well as magazines
*Can be handed back out at the end
*Extremely easy

First off, I want to thank Justin Robert Young for the pre-release copy. He also has a great website:

http://itricks.com/news/

This DVD is layed out just like Twisted. It starts off with a performance of the basic effect, then , in his house, Andrew talks about coming up with the effect. Next, Is the basic method of the effect. He quickly runs through the mothod, so you can get the idea of how it works. It is very simple. He then goes completely in depth on how to perform the effect. The effect is, that you borrow a newspaper and have it signed. You tear it in half multiple times, then crumple it up into a little ball. You start rubbing the ball in your hand, and it looks like the pieces are visually melting together in your hands. The newspaper is uncrumpled, and handed back to the spectator to keep, with the signature still intact. I think this is the most practical torn and restored newspaper ever. You can do it literally anytime you want to. No matter what situation your in, you can do this. Next, images are shown step by step, to make this even easier to learn. Andrew first teaches this with a tabloid sized newspaper, then teaches how to do it with a full sized newspaper. It is just as good. He also teaches how to do it with an actual magazine. This is probably the easiest version. He also goes over 3 good tips to help you perform this better. Then the closing, and the credits, of course. I urge you all to buy this, and perform it at your show. It is only $15 on Andrew's site. It also has free shipping! I don't think this plot can get any better than this, but if so, it would be real magic. You should also buy everything this guy releases, it is so good! You will not regret any of it.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Did this help anyone at all?
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
After you restore the newspaper, can you hand the newspaper back to the spectator immediatly?
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
923 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Thanks for the review Will. I have this on order and await its arrival.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-03-29 02:13, magicman4646 wrote:
After you restore the newspaper, can you hand the newspaper back to the spectator immediatly?

Yup. I guess you could even restore it in the spectator's hands.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Guess, but are you sure?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Alright, yeah, I'm sure. He just doesn't mention it in the DVD.
Tivoli
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris (France)
252 Posts

Profile of Tivoli
Whaou, that's sounds great
Arthur
Arthur Tivoli
Fantaisiste-Magicien
www.arthurtivoli.com
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Yeah, it is.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 04:22, THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) wrote:

That's a pretty unique honor! What I'm saying is it's a first in t&r newspaper effects.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 23:38, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 04:22, THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) wrote:

That's a pretty unique honor! What I'm saying is it's a first in t&r newspaper effects. (A t&r newspaper that is rolled into a ball, and can be placed into a spectator's hands and restored there.)

Andrew is a pretty brilliant magical innovator. His stuff always catches my attention, and almost always impresses me.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Well, its the same thing as restoring the card from Ultimate Rip-off in the spectator's hand.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm not really familiar with that effect, but surely this is a first for newspaper restorations. That's what I was trying to convey.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1804 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I watched this today and it is rather nice... Nothing earth shaking really and in a way it reminded me of Paul Potassys version and of course, Orterlinds version (that has better cleanup in my opinion). So this version has its pros and cons...

First the pros:
It can be really any newspaper, just take one out of stand and your ready to go
There really is no preparation
It can be signed
And in the end, it can be handed out freely

cons:
There is something left out on the video tape about the method that I think might upset some people. It is totally motivated but still... I think that smart people might remember this...
The tearing down is rather angly. Even the creator flashed something he shoudnt have flashed many times during the tearing giving away pretty much what he was doing.

Also, I would like to point out that does the signing and giving the paper away in the end really add something into the illusion for laymen or is it just magicians thinking once again. At least both things break out the rythm in performance unless most people who do newspaper tear structure their performances again.

For 15$ I feel this is rather good deal. The method is rather practical and the strenghts it has make its little problems seem not so big deal. Will I perform thin? Well... I don't know to be honest. I don't care about the signing part but handing the paper out has its moments. However Jairle Lerpoill allready has amazing variation on Gene Anderson method where the paper is also handed out in the end.

J-M
Steveblackwell
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Steveblackwell
Thanks J-M, that was very helpful.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quote:
On 2008-03-31 14:52, korttihai_82 wrote:
However Jairle Lerpoill allready has amazing variation on Gene Anderson method where the paper is also handed out in the end.
J-M

I did several searches for "Jairle Lerpoill" here at the café and
on google and did't find anything other than this thread.

J-M could you share any further information. I do the Anderson or
Baxt papter tear.

Thanks,
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1804 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Its on his pocket power video. I propaply misspelled his name because he is norwegian and their spelling is very weird for me.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
What I like about this is the restored newspaper doesn't have FOLDS and CREASES in it like other Torn and Restored newspapers. That has always been one of the biggest problems to the T&R paper plot. The restored paper looks crumbled. That's how it should logically look.

There was something left out of the demo, but it doesn't bother me. You could easily add a joke to justify the action.

Magicproshop is the best place to buy this. I ordered it Wednesday and got here Friday with FREE SHIPPING (along with a few other things) and it costs $12. That's a steal!

I think the pros far outweigh the cons. You end clean, no set up, borrowed newspaper, and it's easy!
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quote:
On 2008-04-05 11:46, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Jarle Leirpoll:

http://www.leirpoll.com/pocket.htm

http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?read=460

Thank you, I am looking into this now.
(I seem to collect tear and restores.)
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Tear Down by Andrew Mayne - Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL