The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Magic Demo-- Card in Mouth! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Here's my magic demo--

Let me know what you think!

It includes a card change and my interpretation of the Card in Mouth!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m4NKn5o823I&feature=related
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Very enjoyable... Very smooth and easy going. Smile I will be filming some street stuff soon, so it's good to see other people's interpretations of various effects.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again


- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
I like your card to mouth, it is funny how you talk to them with the cards in your mouth. But does it play strong enough? I think you should have the spectators forget the cards even went close to the mouth. That is just my opinion but it looks like the one you are doing works pretty well for you.

Art
Day 29
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Quote:
On 2008-03-29 14:00, Art190 wrote:
I like your card to mouth, it is funny how you talk to them with the cards in your mouth. But does it play strong enough? I think you should have the spectators forget the cards even went close to the mouth. That is just my opinion but it looks like the one you are doing works pretty well for you.

Art
Day 29


It plays really strong. Lot of buildup that you don't see on the video. Smile
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Congratulations,
Very Good performance!
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19854 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I really don't understand the new You Tube phenemenon.

Why all the editing? Why not just show the trick start to finish so we can watch that? I am just confused.

A fine effect needless to say, but I don't get why everyone is a film school student now. To me it does not help the magic at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Stevie Wonder
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Stevie Wonder
Hey as long as you're not trying to pull one over on us using camera editing, I really like the creative use of editing, showing the important aspect of the routine, with the reactions of the spectators. I mean look at pretty much all of our magic instruction DVDs. Would be pretty boring if only shot from one angle no?

Stevie
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
The effect was performed well, good job.

That being said, I hate the card to mouth effect in general. I don't think I've ever seen it performed and come across as anything less than completely disgusting. Take a close look at the people in the clips, hell even they are put off by it. I just don't see it, but, to each his own. If it's working for you that is all that matters.
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Any comments are greatly appreciated!

The video is also available through the "See It" section of Magicinla.com!

Thanks
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Well to be honest I think you did a good job, however your interpretation of card in mouth is nothing new(sorry) Jeff Hobson has been doing it very similar for years, however something that I would like to point out with yours. The girl at the end said" that is the grossest magic", well if you could have played it up routine wise a little different she might have not said that. I realize she enjoyed it, however the word gross is very negative. If you warn them in the middle of the routine about the gross part coming(with out giving away the reveal) it might be better reactions and might also make sense. I would never suggest taking someones routine, however if you can watch Hobsons you can learn a lot about routine that great trick.

Jeff Hobson and I have talked several times about the card in mouth and he really has the routining down and some great thoughts on the subject. I also do the card in mouth in my bar act and I owe my success of it to Hobson( with his help).

Just some thoughts....but overall great job....

sickmagic
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Special user
962 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Your right that there is nothing new here, but I'm sure "cardshark" knows this. He is not however using Hobson's version, this is Simon Lovell's handling of card in mouth. (At least I am pretty sure of that, I have not seen Hobson do it.) But one must see Simon do this to understand the real work. There is the "Gross" moment, but this is all handled when in Simon's hands, or mouth. The beauty of Simon's work is everything that creates the experience around the central effect, in this case, card in mouth. The card popping out of the mouth is the ohh moment, but the work is everything else. This video does use some of this work, but it misses out on solving other issues. I think you are completely correct that the main issue for "cardshark" is that they are left with a disgusting moment. Basically this effect does not fit his character, or, rather, he has not made it his own yet. This will come in time.

"cardshark" is presenting this using what I call the "cult of cool," personality; The most popular personality being propagated by elusionist followers. Basically what this is to me is a nerdy kid dressing and acting the way he feels will be taken as cool, and wearing clothing that seems to be the style of someone who likes Metal, but Hip Hop too, and can't make up their mind. I understand how hard it is to form you persona, and I too am a victim of this, but in more of a throwback way, I have a big curly "magicians" moustache. David Blaine would be the father of cult of cool magic, but he does it well, in that he never breaks from his character, and spends allot of time at a gym (when he is going to be on TV.)

Last week I was sitting next to Simon while someone was doing an audition. The auditioning magician performed a version of card in mouth. Afterword Simon made the comment "If you are going to perform the signature effect of one of the magicians in the audience at your audition, you should strive to do it better than him, I don't mind that he did it, its just that he didn't make it work for himself." This video falls along the same lines. I don't mean to be harsh "Cardshark," I have taken the time to write this because I know Simon, and I know how strong the effect is, and I know how hard it is and how long it takes to find yourself in performance. I do give you allot of credit in that you are unfolding the card in your mouth, That is so *** hard, I worked on this effect a little and decided, while I love the effect, it's just not me, plus, I kind of gag a little with the deck in my mouth. I did achieve being able to unfold the card half the time, which made me happy, but the taste of the card kind of sucked. I wish you the best. I hope you find these words encouraging.
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:
On 2008-04-05 17:33, StuartPalm wrote:
Your right that there is nothing new here, but I'm sure "cardshark" knows this. He is not however using Hobson's version, this is Simon Lovell's handling of card in mouth. (At least I am pretty sure of that, I have not seen Hobson do it.) But one must see Simon do this to understand the real work. There is the "Gross" moment, but this is all handled when in Simon's hands, or mouth. The beauty of Simon's work is everything that creates the experience around the central effect, in this case, card in mouth. The card popping out of the mouth is the ohh moment, but the work is everything else. This video does use some of this work, but it misses out on solving other issues. I think you are completely correct that the main issue for "cardshark" is that they are left with a disgusting moment. Basically this effect does not fit his character, or, rather, he has not made it his own yet. This will come in time.

"cardshark" is presenting this using what I call the "cult of cool," personality; The most popular personality being propagated by elusionist followers. Basically what this is to me is a nerdy kid dressing and acting the way he feels will be taken as cool, and wearing clothing that seems to be the style of someone who likes Metal, but Hip Hop too, and can't make up their mind. I understand how hard it is to form you persona, and I too am a victim of this, but in more of a throwback way, I have a big curly "magicians" moustache. David Blaine would be the father of cult of cool magic, but he does it well, in that he never breaks from his character, and spends allot of time at a gym (when he is going to be on TV.)

Last week I was sitting next to Simon while someone was doing an audition. The auditioning magician performed a version of card in mouth. Afterword Simon made the comment "If you are going to perform the signature effect of one of the magicians in the audience at your audition, you should strive to do it better than him, I don't mind that he did it, its just that he didn't make it work for himself." This video falls along the same lines. I don't mean to be harsh "Cardshark," I have taken the time to write this because I know Simon, and I know how strong the effect is, and I know how hard it is and how long it takes to find yourself in performance. I do give you allot of credit in that you are unfolding the card in your mouth, That is so *** hard, I worked on this effect a little and decided, while I love the effect, it's just not me, plus, I kind of gag a little with the deck in my mouth. I did achieve being able to unfold the card half the time, which made me happy, but the taste of the card kind of sucked. I wish you the best. I hope you find these words encouraging.


Well said my friend, however I wouldn't say this is Simon's or Hobsons..LOL they both do it and it is very similar and in fact I have a video of them both doing together at a lecture were the signed cards changed places, I will have to dig out so I can reference it for you. So if you know Simon you might want to ask him a little bit of the history. I do know after talking with Jeff several times on the subject that Jimmy Gripo was the beginning of the card in mouth and it has of course evolved from that.

Sickmagic
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Stuart-- I appreciate your comment. I've just gotten off the phone with my good friend Dan Harlan and we absolutely agree with you. I'll be working on a more professional video.
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6172 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I'm so glad StuartPalm came in with the comment from Simon. To all those that do Card In Mouth do yourself a favor... get Simon's book and learn his technique. By the way, the thing that makes his routine outstanding is the unfolding of the card with your mouth and tongue. Learn that and you have a priceless winner.

When I read that book I just thought, "Ah, why do I have to learn to unfold it that way?" Boy was I wrong. I went out and bought fifty inexpensive decks and sat for a couple of nights folding and unfolding. I got cuts in the side of my mouth and at one time part of my gums were bleeding. Was it worth it? YES!!!!

The reaction you get when they see you unfold it the same way they think you folded it is beyond words.

Sit down, read the book, buy a bunch of cheap decks and learn it. You'll be so glad you did and you'll stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Quote:
On 2008-04-06 17:33, Greg Arce wrote:
I'm so glad StuartPalm came in with the comment from Simon. To all those that do Card In Mouth do yourself a favor... get Simon's book and learn his technique. By the way, the thing that makes his routine outstanding is the unfolding of the card with your mouth and tongue. Learn that and you have a priceless winner.

When I read that book I just thought, "Ah, why do I have to learn to unfold it that way?" Boy was I wrong. I went out and bought fifty inexpensive decks and sat for a couple of nights folding and unfolding. I got cuts in the side of my mouth and at one time part of my gums were bleeding. Was it worth it? YES!!!!

The reaction you get when they see you unfold it the same way they think you folded it is beyond words.

Sit down, read the book, buy a bunch of cheap decks and learn it. You'll be so glad you did and you'll stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Greg


Greg--

Spot on. This is only one of the great effects in Simon Says anyways... the unfold with the tongue is crucial. Makes for a really fun effect... Smile
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
If you have any advice on the video, please don't hesitate to post or pm me!

Thanks
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I good clip, and I like the one had cut like a charlier where you reveal the card
although I too think its best if the cards don't go anywhere near your mouth during the performance as far as they are concerned
the best routine for this, if find is dan harlan's, which I have adapted slightly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Magic Demo-- Card in Mouth! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL