The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing for a Wake (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Yes, that's right, a wake was in one of my restaurants this last Friday.

I briefly performed for one of the tables that asked.

No, I didn't do the Living or Dead Test.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
We had a large group come into the restaurant/bar, and they were just leaving a funeral. I performed because they asked. They said that "he would have wanted it that way." It makes it awkward to say the least, doesn't it, Justin?

Scott

Day 30/31
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I always thought that line was weird - "He would have wanted it that way."

They are dead. I do not think "wants" are at issue anymore!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I remember an episode of Columbo that opened with a magician's funeral. I believe there was a sort of "broken wand" ceremony. The real cheesy part was when someone produced a dove at the grave and it flew away. For me, I may have a magician perform at my wake. But only someone who is absolutely horrible. 21 card trick, really horrible stuff. That way, everyone will miss me even more.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
My will foregoes the usual "sob & sniff" funeral for a "Remember & Laugh" wake. It calls for setting the pace with a sign on the lid of the coffin that reads, "Yesterday was the last day of the rest of my life." Just before they close the lid, I want everyone to toss in a marshmallow - I'm being cremated. The only conflict in the entire plan: My wife wants to keep my ashes in one of three identical urns on our mantel and let guests guess which one I'm in. Promising as that sounds, I want to be loaded into a pro fireworks mortar shell and get launched so I can go out in a blaze of glory...and maybe hear one last "Ooooh -Ahhhh!" It's simple - I figure I should go out the way I tried to live - leaving a smile on every face. Smile

As for the restaurant, nearly every funeral I've been to ends up with a party from the funeral going to a restaurant or someone's home to sit and remember the person - and nearly always with laughter. I think it's the healthiest part of the process. You were fortunate to be a part of it for this family. Well done!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I have performed for 3 wakes and 1 funeral. The wakes were nothing weird or odd...just like a big party. Lot's of fun and laughter.

The FUNERAL on the other hand...geesh!!! Talk about an odd request. The deceased always liked magic, and it was in his will that he wanted a Magic Show performed during the Funeral Ceremony. It was a great show...I KILLED!!!! (insert rim shot)
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
A vent routine works really well at funerals.

"Hello? Let me out! I'm not dead!"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You think performing at wakes is weird?? I used to run my own business designing wrapping paper for funeral gifts. Some of the more popular designs...

"Here Lies a Gift For You", "R.I.P. This Package Open", and "The Late Gift".

But business was dead, so I became a professional gambler working the nursing home circuit.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Grew up in a family of gravediggers.

Folks were dying for our service, and God knows we'd be the last to let them down.

We earned our riches puttin' folks in little ditches, 6 ft under the ground.

Can you dig it?

Smile

Day 30/31
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
After watching way too many 'Six Feet Under' episodes, I always wished they would have had a magician-related theme, but I don't think they did. Not sure I would like to work a funeral, but a wake perhaps.

luke
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
538 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 04:56, J Hanes wrote:
Yes, that's right, a wake was in one of my restaurants this last Friday.

I briefly performed for one of the tables that asked.

No, I didn't do the Living or Dead Test.

At least you knew it was a wake! I was working a restaurant a few years ago for what seemed to be a pleasant crowd. Then, I decided to do a bit of mentalism...

"Think of someone who has had a profound impact on your life..."

At the climax of my routine, there were no gasps, just defining silence...then a table full of sobbing...

Three guesses who the thought-of person was.

It was only later that someone from the table explained that they had just left the wake for a member of a close-knit group of friends.

I now specifically request a living person to be thought of.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I believe Jay Marshall's wish was honored at his memorial service - the entire audience got to perform some step-by-step sort of trick for themselves. From what I heard from a few who attended, it was appropriate and very much in line with Jay's wonderful personality. If anyone out there has any details, I'd be interested in their posting them.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I've been hired to perform for a few, shall we call them "receptions", after a funeral.
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13880 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 12:57, MagicSanta wrote:
A vent routine works really well at funerals.

"Hello? Let me out! I'm not dead!"

ROFL!!!

Posted: Apr 5, 2008 8:42pm
Quote:

On 2008-03-30 19:58, Scott Compton wrote:
Grew up in a family of gravediggers.

Folks were dying for our service, and God knows we'd be the last to let them down.

Gravediggers...let them down...oh, I get it!!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I don't mind performing at wakes. Only a really warped person would want people to be sad at their wake. Every wake that I've been to have been happy events.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
If your late for a Wake...is it called a Woke?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
One of my most interesting music gigs (link below) was at Cotton Candy's memorial.

I have posted this elsewhere, but here it is again.

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/MyFox/pages......le=EN-US

(Yes, I'm the short guy in the vest playing the harp. (Same get up I wear when doing vent/magic...harp as in harmonica, not the angelic string instrument.)

Back in my singing telegram days, I did a few at Funeral Parlors...(for employees, not consumers of the business).

Harris "Lips" Deutsch
have harmonica, will travel
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
I had a cousin who was somewhat of an underground figure in the magical arts, and he also had quite a few students. When he passed back in 1997, many of his students showed up at the wake and, without encouragement, got up and began performing.

No different in a way from any other family wake I've been to, and unfortunately, I have been to many. The noise level at most wakes is so high that it almost seems disrespectful in a way. Everyone talking to each other as they haven't been together since the last wedding or wake.

In a way, the performers at John's wake had much more of a reverence about them. It was actually kind of nice.

That same year, we lost three friends:
John V. Hope
Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Mario Gonzalez

Always try to remember someone for what they left with us.

Thanks,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing for a Wake (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL