We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » A different presentation for the Chicago Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Hey guys,

I've been thinking of my own presentational twist on doing the Chicago Opener (Red Hot Mama). It's a weird kind of approach - a bit of mentalism, a bit of 'alter reality' if you know what I mean. I've tried this presentation on a few people, and I've got some mixed responses. So it's still a presentation in the rough.

I'm opening the floor to people to give any suggestions and/or comments on this presentation:

(Assume the spectator's name was Mary)

"Mary, I believe the key to happiness and meaning in your life is not only having good physical well-being, but also a good imagination. I'd like to explore the latter, if you don't mind." She agrees.

"So that it's not too mentally burdening, we'll keep it simple - if you would choose a card for us please. Show everyone, but please don't tell me what it is. Once you've committed your card to memory, please place it back in the pack" (Assume the spectator chose the 4C).

"Mary, if you would eliminate all thought from your mind except the image of the card in your mind. Now, see if you can 'feel' it, in your mind. Now, see if you can 'touch' it, but with your mind. Then, rub on it with your imaginary hands that exists in your mind" (I am demonstrating what Mary should be doing with a playing card from the deck")

"As you rub on the back of that card, see if you can feel the card getting warmer and warmer. Yes? Okay, hold that image in your mind". (Magician does magical gestures, as if taking the image from Mary's mind and throwing it into the deck.)

"Now, if this works, then one card should have undergone a transformation..." (Deck is spread on the table) "...one card now has a red coloured back. And if this works, it should be your card, the...(Shows the red card)...4C". (Accept applause and congratulate Mary. The red card is set aside.)

"You might think that I must have been lucky, or it was just a mere coincidence...so I'm going to try it again. Please choose anoter card..." (Assume Mary chose the QD)

"Once again Mary, eliminate all thought except for your card...feel it, rub on it...feel the card getting warmer...now this time, send that thought pulsing through your veins...your wrist please." (Magician feels the spectator's pulse, and once again makes magical gestures)

"Now, one card should turn red in the deck" (Spreads the deck, only to find no red card in the spread)..."It should be here somewhere...there doesn't seem to be a red card in sight...hmmm...but there IS one red card...full sight the entire time..." (The red card is moved so it is next to Mary).

"Can you feel the card? Rub on the card? Then it's got to be your second card, the? ...QD." (Reveals the red card to be the QD)

"I think you're well on the way to unlocking the secrets of life. Good on you!"

So, what do you think? Cheesy? A bit over the top? Too bland? Too 'intruding'? Any suggestions and/or tips on how to improve on this presentation are most welcome!

Kindest regards,
MDew
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I think it's good, as long as you can keep it moving. I find the story approach works best in parlor or stage, but today's walk-around crowd wants everything QUICK. They seem to get bored or distracted with too much patter...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » A different presentation for the Chicago Opener (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL