The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Good card memory system required...Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I've had Paul Greens' "Fortunetellers Book of days" for ages, and every now and then, I pull it out and have a look, then it goes back in the drawer. THIS TIME I'M STICKING WITH IT!.. My problem is.. relating the 11 numbers (0 to 9, and 31) to the relevant cards. I'm not giving anything away when I say that 1 = AC, 2 = 4H, etc,..and it's easy enough - it uses CHaSeD, and a logical sequence. Problem is, my memory has never been great, and I have a problem snapping right to the correct card, when the date is known. I've spent the last few days going over the thing parrot fashion, but it just won't sink in - apart from the numbers 1, 5, and 31. These 3 come easily. So, it occurred to me that there must be a logical method, probably in one of the Harry Lorayne books that I don't have with me right now. I have the "How to develop a super power memory", which is great - but I can't see how to link numbers to specific cards.
I don't actually have a problem with the linking - but it just takes me too long.. linking the date with the card number, and then the date with the suit - I'm pretty sure this is the wrong way to go about it. I can manage to link any date to any card - but it takes me up to say, 10 seconds.. and that's not in performance, which of course is much more difficult, with everything else to attend to, keeping the conversation flowing while thinking.. etc.
So. Question is - How can I link any one of 11 numbers, (10 of them single digits at that) to the appropriate playing cards?
As ever.. any assistance will be appreciated!

Tks,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Make up a practice deck. take an old deck and write the numbers on the back.
1) run through the deck by looking at the backs and say what the cards is.

2) shuffle the cards run through the deck by looking at the backs and say what the cards is.

3) shuffle the cards run through the deck face up by looking at the faces and say what the number is.

4) shuffle the cards face up face down - run through the deck by looking at the backs/faces and say what the cards/numbers is/are.

do this every day for 5 to 10 minutes
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Amazing!!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I think Robert B. should write a book on how to remember. hl

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Robert,

I tried this yesterday. It was ok, but.. I was slow. But.. I'll try as you suggest, and give it 5 or 10 mins a day.
Incidentally, I found a system that looks interesting, approaching from the "peg" system, memorising an entire deck. For anyone who's interested, it's at.. http://www.thememorypage.net/cardbase.htm.
I'm familiar with the peg system and I'll give it a try - but there's no reason I can't use your method in parallel.
I'm determined to get this down by next weekend. I will. I will. I will!!!
I remember trying to spin a card - took me about 2 weeks. I remember trying to Faro Shuffle..took me longer.. palming a coin.. etc.. so.. I WILL get this down automatically!!!

Thanks!!

DCB
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Harry - Take it easy! AS a point of interest, I learned the peg system from your book, about 40 years ago (my.. has it been THAT long?..!!) - I purchased it from a shop in Tottenham Court Road in London - from Alan Alan. 20 years later, Alan Alan encouraged me, when I expressed an interest in close up magic.. and he sold me "The Magic Book"..I hope you pay him commission!

Regards,

DCB
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I use the Aronson Stack, and I learned it in about a week. I used part of Harry's system, part of Simon's, and part of my own. I can relate athlete's numbers to the cards and their stack numbers, and so I used that as well. Larry Bird(33) is the Jack of Clubs, Bo Jackson is the Jack of Hearts, etc.

Maybe this will help.

Scott

Day 30/31
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Incredible!!!!! hl

Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Awww.....your making fun of me aren't you, Harry? Smile

I have read some of your books. As a matter of fact, I gave my son a copy of your memory book when he started college. Apocalypse was incredible, and is still standard reading fare for me. Thanks for all you have done for magic, Harry.

Scott

Day 30/31
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Harry Lorayne's Memory Power, page 178.....now get to work! This is well within anyones ability if they apply themselves....thanks again Harry!
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
I'm only going to mention 4 letters L.I.N.T by Luka. In my opinion, it's the ONLY way to perform that effect. No memory, no sleights, no BS.
Jason London

This space for rent
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Jason,

Co-incidentally - I was reading this last night.. just before nodding off. I agree - it's good, but it's just one more thing to carry around. And it really annoys me that I've not yet applied a proper system to memorising 11 cards in numerical order instantly..!
It'll be done though!

Cheers

DCB
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Tedski..

Are you referring to a book called "Memory Power"? or do you mean "How to Develop a Super Power Memory?".. I've just located the latter at my other place.. and it looks like I've found EXACTLY what I'm looking for.. After just 10 minutes, I'm way ahead of anything else I've tried! I knew I had it somwehere in my collection!!
Does anyone know.. (Harry, for example!) if there are any similar references like this or effects using this method in Apocalypse? I have all the issues.. but don't have a master index...

Thanks!

DCB
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I am referring to his course Memory Power. It is a thorough training system for memory in general. I am not familiar with the other text you are using, so I can't say if it is as complete. If you can accomplish the effect with a different method (as referenced by Jason London above)go for it! I just think the memory skills you practice can help you in more areas than magic - have fun!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I sing the stack.

Usually in the shower.

I learned by singing 5 of the cards a day. I have a poster to the side of the shower to the right.

My girlfriend thought I was weird - my spaced out flat mate thought it was catchy and wanted to know who it was by.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Ok,
Thanks for all the help again! I nailed it yesterday, during a 20 minute walk on the beach with the dog. Can tie the 11 numbers in with the cards in a comfortable time - not instantly with them all, but it will be by the end of the day. And I have to say, if I didn't have other things to attend to, I'd have it down by now.
Now that I've started in this area again (memorising stuff systematically), I think I may well pursue it for a bit...

Tedski, I know a little of the course you referred to - I was just unsure as to whether there was a book of the same name I'd missed.

Thanks again!!! (You too, Harry!)

DCB
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I've just done a private party...and performed "The Book of Days", Paul Green's version, and I have to say, as far as ladies are concerned...this is an absolute stone-cold killer.

I was inundated with requests...(I only did 3)...all from ladies. I could have been there all night. This effect is SO strong, you'll be missing out if you don't learn one variation or the other.

Very well worth the time spent learning the "pegs" and "links" involved for the unprepared version. Re-learning the stuff from that old Harry Lorayne book is worth a ton of cash. Nothing worth learning comes easy...and that is a fact. But - a day out your life...take a big fat look at the Harry Lorayne publications... Worth a whole lot of pratting around, like I did. If I'd had the books here, I'd been there a little bit sooner.
Thumbs up to HL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Good card memory system required...Help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL