The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Marketing New Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Now...I am just asking, not attacking, I am honestly just curious as to why magicians frown upon someone new to magic (I'd say about 2 years of experience) putting out a trick and marketing it? I often hear that one should refine a trick till it is perfect an then put it out (I agree with this completely)...But what if someone discovers a trick after about a year of experience and so they practice some presentation and a whole lot of technical skill for various illusions including the one they discovered. Then during their second year they perform a whole lot and perfect their performing skills and through numerous contacts made by chance encounters gain much knowledge not easily accessible to most young and upcoming magicians. Would this individual be qualified in putting out a new trick?
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
The biggest problem with people who are new to magic marketing an item is the item they think is a great idea has probably been thought of before or is already on the market. When you are new to magic every trick you see every effect you read sounds great. So the trick you have come up with may seem great to you but pretty common place to a more experienced magician. I think you need the experience to know wether or not your idea IS something special and worthwhile to market. Please don't take this personally. You may have a great idea. I am just saying this is usually what happens.

, Jonathan
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Excellent point. I think if you are faily new to the business, a lot of it may have to do with name recognition. Let's face it, there are some people who won't buy it unless it says Ammar, Sankey, or Acer on the box. This is sad as there are a lot of people who may not have that kind of "celebrity" status among magicians, but have really great ideas. JK and Toibox is a prime example. I'd listen to every word he says on this topic.
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Thank You Smile So What if I have the resources to tell whether or not its new? And what if the effect has been done but with a completely different handling?
Wilberto Casillas
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
You need to find magicians you trust to show it to. People that are well read and will recognize it if it's already in print. PLEASE not another version of twisting the aces! Darwin Ortiz makes the point that you have to bring something to the table when you change a handling. Is it easier? Stronger? Funnier? Better made prop? Etc.
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
LOL...Its Not Twisting The Aces Smile...And I took those same exact steps..I was just wondering if people need to have years and years of experience to put something out that is good? I don't think so because innovation does not necessarily come with experience but more with creativity
Wilberto Casillas
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14018 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have some packet effects I created, and I think they are killer, and I want to market them, BUT I just don't have the NAME. I'm very hesitant, therefore.

It really helps to have a name.

Maybe that's something you should consider when making your decision..
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Marketing New Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL