The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Yikes! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I have bad news! My cornsnake, "Cornbread", has gotten loose in my house, and I can't find him! I use him in all my shows, and he is one of my most favorite pets. I am worried that he may find his way outside and out into the wild - which he would probably like as they are native to this area - but I don't want to lose him!

Blah.

I always kept my trumpet case on top of his cage so that he couldn't lift off the lid - as I never play my trumpet. But...I did play it one time this year for Easter and forgot to put something else on the cage, and a day or so later he was gone. I am hoping he is still isolated to one part of the house, but he could be anywhere.

Any advice from fellow snake owners on the best places to look or techniques to finding him...

Well, I just had to get that out. My mom, who babysits for me, will not be told about the snake being loose - as then I would lose a babysitter. If she happens to come across him, I will simply praise her for finding my snake and then pay her triple her usual rate.

Ok, enough rambling from me.
Have a good day!
Chad
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
Check around the room; he is probably still there, tucked up nice a cozy in your cloths, or under rug, or any tight dark crevasse he could enter. With the mom situation, yeah, ummmmmm, good luck with that.
Hope ya find him.
And leave the trumpet alone.
John
Solitaire
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Solitaire
Have you checked all warm spots in your house?

And don't forget to look in unusual places, such as the space between the sofa upholstery (yes, that place where kids usually cram biscuits in or where the mobile phone often ends). Friends of mine had an albino cornsnake which loved to escape and turned up in bed.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I don't know where you're located, but if it's cool/cold outside, hopefully he won't go out. You may have better luck finding him at night. He may be more active then. Otherwise, dark and warm spots. If you have a closet in your room, go through it; be sure to check in all your shoes, etc.

Do you have other pets that may come upon him first?
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
It's not too cold outside - it's warmed up a lot. I am in the southeastern part of the country, and this snake is native to this area and they are already moving about outside - I just saw a small one in my backyard a few days ago. I have checked through a lot of the house and haven't had any luck. I think the next step is to set up white flour strips across the doorways to track him if he moves at night through the house.

I was also told that some people set up "traps" for them, such as a bucket with a hole in the top and a mouse with food and water inside - the snake can get in easily but has a difficult time getting out as you make the hole in the top of the bucket right in the center.

That will be the next next step.

I shall keep everyone posted.

PS. All shoes were clear.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
The only thing I can think of- Turn down the heat in your house to the mid to high 60's and put a heat lamp in a secluded corner of the room that the snake normally lives in. (It probably has not left that room.)
Watch any heat registers and that area. There is a good chance it will go there to bask.
Keep us posted!
Gwyd
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
He has been found!!!! After tearing the room apart that he escaped in, he decided to come right back next to his cage into the open file cabinet. My wife then found him when putting up some files - she was a tad bit terrified when it happened! Even though she is not scared of him, it's a little different when you reach into a dark drawer and see a snake looking right back at you!

There is much rejoicing in our house! And my trumpet case is back on top of his cage and will never come off again for longer than it takes to get him in and out.

And that's your update!
Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Yikes! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL