The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Don't you just love it when stuff like this happens? :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
I always start my ambitious card routine with some a small line that always gets a laugh. I ask the spec to think of a card... After a dramatic pause, I look them dead in the eye...and barely whisper, "Turn over the top card." They take it, look confused and shake their head, and then I shrug and giggle, "It'd be good if it was though, wouldn't it?" Basically, it never ever is their card and the line is used to disarm the audience; thus, providing some misdirection while they enjoy a laugh.

But...

Tonight.

It happened.

The chance is like one in 1:112 000 or something (probably didn't calculate correctly...but you get the picture.)

I was entertaining at a dinner party, and I had just walked up to the kid of one of the guests. As you would expect, as soon as I knelt down to this kid's level all the adults adoring eyes lock on you both... You know they're just expecting you to whip a coin out of their ear or make some chocolate appear.

I started shuffling the cards and said the usual line. The adults continued to smile benevolently, and the kid just grins as he has not seen any of my tricks thus far. He nodded his head and whispered his choice to the audience. It was only here that I stopped shuffling. I had been shuffling the whole time. Then, in the most mysterious of tones, I told him to turn over the top card.

For a moment, I thought the kid's look of confusion was because he had missed the joke. My insides crawled. But then, I looked at the faces of the adults... They were aghast, utterly stricken and speechless. One guy quickly stifled a gasp, while others just stared. It had been his card...the 8 of diamonds. The kid's face was priceless!!!

The adrenaline surged through me, but I kept a smug grin on my face and said, "Did you like that one?" I got a huge round of applause from my audience, and people kept commenting on how fantastic it was for the rest of the night. Normally I'd go on with the routine, but that was enough. I left on that note! What's even funnier is that people were asking the kid if he was in on the trick, and he fervently told them that he wasn't.

I just thought I'd share that with you guys, as my heart is still beating furiously. I mean, what are the chances?!?!?! Please tell me what you think of this and if you have had any similar experiences.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Great story...and good call to leave after that one effect!

Here's a thought. Most people will usually think of the Ace of Spades or the Queen of Hearts. Before doing the joke, put one on top and one on the bottom. If they say the Ace of Spades, then have them flip the top card over. If they say the Queen of Hearts, tell them to turn the entire deck over to reveal the bottom card.

If they say anything else, then you have your gag! This just adds to the chance of it happening again and you looking like a god in someones eyes.

Just a suggestion....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The more often you attempt the trick, they more likely you are to eventually hit it. The probability is 1 in 52. To the audience, it seems like one in a million.

Sounds like you played it well.

I have had a few similar experiences, although not always with cards. With cards, I once held up a single card and asked a lady to name any card. It proved to be that card.

Here are some of these other True Story Anecdotes.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2008-04-04 10:03, Michael Baker wrote:
I once held up a single card and asked a lady to name any card. It proved to be that card.

I do that every night, at least twice. Sometimes I hit it...sometimes not. A great reaction when it works. A great laugh when it doesn't. A win-win no matter what!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
I've been doing a similar effect w/ "The Insurance Policy". They put the card back in themselves after I've forced one, they shuffle the cards, and they spread them out. I then say there's only one move left, and that's to take your card out! Sometimes they actually do! If they don't I'll say, "That'd be a good trick?" and so on. I then pull the Policy out and say I'm insured in case this happens...
What's funny is when the card is taken out on that first try, and it happens more times than you'd think, I've heard someone say, "I know how you did that." LOL! Do ya think? Jeff
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
One time, I asked someone to remove a thought-of card from the deck.
It wasn't there, and I had no idea why as it was not part of the trick.
I found that I had accidentally left 2 cards in the card box. One was the one named. I pulled it out to good effect. Smile
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
If you start to do mem-deck work, you can get into what is called "jazzing" and you can make this happen fairly predictably.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
I did John Bannon's "Tattoo You" to this very skeptical guy, and after I had done the first "phase" (where the prediction matches), this guy leapt in and said, "I'd be more impressed if you could make my signature jump onto that card with the different coloured back." (Bear in mind, this is exactly what I was going to do anyway!) I couldn't believe it, but I played up a bit saying, "I can't believe your asking me to do that. Bloody ****, you're making my job tough." (I didn't overdo it, though.) He was crying like a baby at the climax. It was a sweet moment!!
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2008-04-04 09:02, Chappo wrote:
The chance is like one in 1:112 000 or something (probably didn't calculate correctly...but you get the picture.)

You're right, you didn't calculate it correctly.

And, unfortunately, the correct calculation turns out to be very, very disappointing; i.e., this isn't nearly as rare an occurrence as you suggest.

The chance is . . . get ready . . . one in . . . dramatic pause . . . fifty-two.

(Assuming a thoroughly shuffled deck and equal probability of each card being imagined by the spectator.)

I know, it's not nearly as impressive. Sorry.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There are ways to tip the scales to give you better chances for success. If you do something like the Invisible Deck, just make mental notes over a period of time which cards are named more frequently than others. I came up with my own top 5. I kept 2 on top, 2 on the bottom, and one reversed in the center.

If they name the top card, turn it over. If they name the 2nd from the top, do a DL. If they name the bottom card, turn the deck over. If they name the 2nd from the bottom, do a glide and pull it out. If they name the reversed card, just spread the deck.

This gives you even better odds, as you are now almost at a 10% chance of hitting it. Leave 1 in the box and have one in each of 2 coat pockets, and you increase your chance to over 15%.

However, even with a 1 in 52 chance, done enough times, you will probably hit it one day.

Even though this is the long shot, it usually registers as much more impressive than that (and impossible) to an audience, and that's all that counts. Fudging the odds doesn't diminish that in their minds, if they don't know. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wanna know what bites about this?

Well, Michael beat me to the 1 in 52, that should be pretty self explanatory. LOL BUT the thing that bites is that this is a far better joke than trick!

When you hit it, it is just too good. The laugh and disarming nature of it really makes it great. Hitting it just leaves them standing there reactionless. IT BITES.

I went as far as when I was doing comedy clubs to name a card I knew full well was NOT in the deck! (I had a card in my pocket for 51 cards to pocket, so I ALWAYS named that one.) It can really take away momentum, and you have a tough time for the next few minutes.

It is a FAR better joke than trick. ESPECIALLY if you are as surprised as they are! LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
IDK...seems to me the odds are greater than 1 in 52. The only way they can be that would be if they name the same card over and over again, and you get rid of the card if it was incorrect. Considering that any person can name any card, and the deck can be in any order, makes the odds greater than 1:52. I've never been one to argue with logic, but it seems there are far more variables involved and makes the odds that much harder to hit the right card...

Just my thoughts. Smile
Steve
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Steve, one card, 52 choices. It is a 1 in 52 every time it happens, right?

Technically, it is a series of independent trials. EVERY time it is 1 in 52, right? The next person you ask does not get an "already called card" list to look at. It is a series of 1 in 52 odds, I think. I can be WAY wrong mind you, but the cards have no memory. This does not allow for "psychological" things, such as AS or QH.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
danielellis_5
View Profile
Loyal user
Sheffield
211 Posts

Profile of danielellis_5
I'm not that good with statistics, but I would have thought that if they can name any card, that's 1 in 52. And any card can be the top card, that's another 1 in 52, etc., etc. There's lots of variables involved, e.g. shuffled deck, psychological thing, etc., etc.

Maybe someone who's good with statistics can clarify.

Thanks,
dan
Best quote from a spectator"I know how he did that,it was sleight of hand"(spectator then sits back looking pleased with himself)
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
The problem is, Daniel, 55% of statistics are made up on the spot. Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
What about the other 55%?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yep, it's 1 in 52. That's easy.

Next question:
If you had them name 3 cards, what are the odds they get all 3?

Only one rule: Bill (s2000) is not allowed to answer.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
It's like odds in roulette. People think if the ball lands on red five times, the odds turn in favor of it landing on black the next time. It doesn't. The odds are the same every time. (Even when you add the green spaces that are on some wheels, the odds stay the same for every spin.)

With a randomly shuffled deck, the spectator has a one in fifty-two chance of naming the top card. Even if you place a highly "hit" card on top, they still have a one in fifty-two chance because they can name any card they want. If you do as Michael Baker does and have five known cards in various places, you have tipped the odds in the spectator's favor to five in fifty-two.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2008-04-04 15:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
Steve, one card, 52 choices. It is a 1 in 52 every time it happens, right?

Technically, it is a series of independent trials. EVERY time it is 1 in 52, right? The next person you ask does not get an "already called card" list to look at. It is a series of 1 in 52 odds, I think. I can be WAY wrong mind you, but the cards have no memory. This does not allow for "psychological" things, such as AS or QH.

Ah, I see where you're going with this now. Yes, it is 1 in 52 times for that particular person. I thought you guys were saying it's going to happen 1 time out of every 52 times he does it....lol. I plead ignorance. Seriously. Smile

Best.
Steve
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-04-04 14:38, Dannydoyle wrote:
Wanna know what bites about this?

Well, Michael beat me to the 1 in 52, that should be pretty self explanatory. LOL BUT the thing that bites is that this is a far better joke than trick!

When you hit it, it is just too good. The laugh and disarming nature of it really makes it great. Hitting it just leaves them standing there reactionless. IT BITES.

I went as far as when I was doing comedy clubs to name a card I knew full well was NOT in the deck! (I had a card in my pocket for 51 cards to pocket, so I ALWAYS named that one.) It can really take away momentum, and you have a tough time for the next few minutes.

It is a FAR better joke than trick. ESPECIALLY if you are as surprised as they are! LOL.

Danny, as usual, is right. You can win over an entire group of people by it being the wrong card and playing it as Danny suggested (being as surprised as they are).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Don't you just love it when stuff like this happens? :) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL