The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table Hopping... Advice Wanted! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
YoelMagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of YoelMagic
Quote:
On 2008-04-08 14:10, mrsmiles wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-08 02:17, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-04 10:55, YoelMagic wrote:
A restaurant called me to do some table hopping... I've been working on some routines, but I want someone that can give me some advice on which effects to use and how to prepare for that.

What tricks did you perform for the manager that prompted them to call you? Since they want you, if we knew what you did for the manager, we could give helpful advice.

It's a fair question to the kid; in 20 years, a restaurant has NEVER called me up. Your information might help us, too. Mind you, I've cold-called restaurants (in person, not the phone) and been hired on the spot. However, I really would like them to save me the trouble and ring me instead. Tell us your secret, kid. Even with advertising, it's just private party work that pick up the phone to me.

Well, of course the restaurant didn't called me out of nowhere. I have several people that work for/with me, and they do the advertising. This one was booked by my PR.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You have PR?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You have employees that promote your magic in different venues, but you're not sure how to prepare to perform in a restaurant? I'm confused.

This sounds a lot like that other guy... um...
The guy with the his own "crew".

Anyway, if you're not sure what to perform or how to go about performing in a restaurant, I'd start doing some free shows at churches, cub scout meetings, nursing homes, friends, family, etc., until you feel like you've got several tricks that you can do close-up flawlessly. And I mean FLAWLESSLY!

Then, go get your gig. The only way to become expert is to DO IT! If you do well, you'll keep working. If you're no good, they will not hire you back. That simple.

But you MUST be proficient at several tricks first. Once you're proficient at the tricks, you'll probably still be a bad performer, but you need to learn that part on the job. There's really no way around it unless you're extremely gifted socially...unlike most magicians.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I guess what we suspected from the original post was confirmed. At least we were delicate about finding out, instead of just coming out and saying it.

4 Post Magi: A hotel in Vegas called me to do a stage show... I've been working on some routines, but I want someone that can give me some advice on which illusions to use and how to prepare for that.

Experienced Magi: A hotel called you to do a show out of the blue, and you need ideas for a show?

4 Post Magi: My manager knows the owner and told him about my stage show I've done the last 20 years. I just need to know how they do that sawing a lady in half and how the elephant vanishes.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I think my first somewhat "direct" post, goaded him into showing that this post comes from fantasy/newbie land. I'll let him know through my PR/manager/agent/lifestyle-guru/rabbi/mentor/priest/shrink that I charge £20 a word for email advice or £200 an hour (+ expenses) for advice in private.
He currently owes me £160. I'll write it off as a bad debt.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
897 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
I am vindicated. lol.............Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Well, this just got interesting. Regardless of how truthful YoelMagic has been regarding PR and other likely nonsense, there are still valid answers to a valid question that is at the heart of this thread. Danny, Paolo and others have suggested that you do what you are most comfortable with when performing restaurant magic, especially if it is your first time. I have four effects that I plan on doing at each table, and at least one-two more effects ready to go should a table be enjoying my magic so much that they are just begging for more. In addition, each week I come prepared to do one new effect that I only perform for repeat customers who have seen everything in my regular repertoire.

Remember that guests at a restaurant are more interested in you than your magic, so make the experience about your interaction with them. They want to ask questions like, "How did you get into magic?" and other such cliches, so you should have solid answers ready. In addition, you should be able to strike up casual conversation about their own lives, current events, etc. Many times, I can easily spend 10 minutes at a table having only performed one effect, simply because the majority of the time is spent conversing. To a guest at a restaurant, you become a personal face associated with that particular restaurant, and THAT is what people enjoy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 14:11, Adam1975 wrote:
I am vindicated. lol.............Smile

You were never a question in my book, just didn't want you to misquote me is all. I get in PLENTY of trouble for calling out fantasy-land posts and am told I am mean and such. Now, here we get to the interesting part. Since it is not ME doing it, seems as if it is ok. Go figure. LOL
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
897 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Well, what can I say, Danny................even George Orwell himself couldn't have predicted some of the nonsense on here!
I think a lot of your posts seem to get to the heart of the matter, so don't know why they get such flak. Oh well.
Who's George Orwell? I can hear people saying this already. lol Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yeah, go figure. LOL

Thanks a lot, buddy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Guys, you name this magicians helping magicians??? Yoel is a Great person. I've met him personally, and he's a great friend. Please understand, our English is not as good as many of yours. Maybe his question is badly understood, but he only searched for different opinions of magicians that he knows. I'm not saying that we need to answer all the questions everyone asks. This a public place and is full of hecklers too. But I'm only saying I know Yoel personally, and he is a good person and serious performer. Come on, guys, you are great people too!
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 15:56, Adam1975 wrote:
Well, what can I say, Danny................even George Orwell himself couldn't have predicted some of the nonsense on here!
I think a lot of your posts seem to get to the heart of the matter, so don't know why they get such flak. Oh well.

There are people who DON'T know who George Orwell is?
I'll tell you - he was an animal farmer in 1984; some pigs killed him. Smile
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 00:30, dbaker_creator wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 15:56, Adam1975 wrote:

There are people who DON'T know who George Orwell is?
I'll tell you - he was an animal farmer in 1984; some pigs killed him. Smile

I still feel George Orwell's ground breaking film "Citizen Caine" and the sequel "The Caine Mutiny" are in the top 100 films ever made.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
4 feet good, 2 feet bad.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 00:49, Frank Starsini wrote:
4 feet good, 2 feet bad.

Ha!
My big brother loves that quote.

Christopher,
Citizen Cain is without question among the top 10 films of all time.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Yoel,

If you are serious about getting into strolling restaurant magic, then I'd recommend you buy Live at the Jailhouse.

http://www.kozmomagic.com has them.

It's a great DVD and will offer you a variety of routines in addition to showing you how some pros work a restaurant.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
All posts are equal....
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5257 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I agree, and some are even more equal than others. :crazy:
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Is this directed towards me? Am I breaking a Café rule by recommending a video that I have NO connection with?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5257 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'm not sure if you're asking me if my posting was directed towards you, but if you are, the answer is no.

Larry

P.S. - I don't have that DVD, but my guess is that it's very good given that it's from Koz.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table Hopping... Advice Wanted! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL