The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Walking Through A Cardboard Wall (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
One of my favorite card effects to peform over the last year or so. This is a bare bones presentation of it, but I have several presentation angles which I use talking about Houdini or Copperfield walking through walls and showing the specs a smaller version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCkWMwul5Ok

Hope you enjoy!

Adam
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
Oh that's awesome!!!
maurermagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of maurermagic
Looks great.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Nice work!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1003 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Fantastic. Nicely done, can't see any work there. Your presentation is clean, Why mention other magicians and there abilities. Let them be amazed by you.
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Glad you guys liked it, thanks. I actually say "hasn't been performed before", but it sounds like has, though I don't believe I mentioned any other magi or their abilities.
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1146 Posts

Profile of APC
Really enjoyed the video! Thanks for posting!

Adam
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1003 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I was referring to this statement you made.
"This is a bare bones presentation of it, but I have several presentation angles which I use talking about Houdini or Copperfield walking through walls and showing the specs a smaller version. "

If you are going to mention Houdini or Copperfield you are directly downplaying yourself as a great magician. My philosophy is that when you are performing magic, you are the only magician in the world. There is no need to lead the audience into thinking about other magicians or the idea that there is a magic community. That it unless you are performing for magicians or conventions etc...

I truly was fooled by your work, I don't know this bit, and can't recreate it. So, again, well done. I would love to see it in person. I would also love to know who's it is if you don't mind sharing.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
711 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
That was a very cool effect!

Chubster
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
What I appreciate the most about the video is Adam's naturalness. He did not seem like he was trying to be someone else and he was not trying to fool anyone. He was just like sharing a magical experience with a friend. Great job! Looked really good and clean.

Best from Manila!

rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
csantill
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of csantill
Very cool, Great presentation
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
It's great

wonderfull

Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks for sharing.
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-04-06 07:04, StuartPalm wrote:
I was referring to this statement you made.
"This is a bare bones presentation of it, but I have several presentation angles which I use talking about Houdini or Copperfield walking through walls and showing the specs a smaller version. "

If you are going to mention Houdini or Copperfield you are directly downplaying yourself as a great magician. My philosophy is that when you are performing magic, you are the only magician in the world. There is no need to lead the audience into thinking about other magicians or the idea that there is a magic community. That it unless you are performing for magicians or conventions etc...

I truly was fooled by your work, I don't know this bit, and can't recreate it. So, again, well done. I would love to see it in person. I would also love to know who's it is if you don't mind sharing.

Hey Stuart, I understand what you mean by keeping the focus on yourself, however if I were to come off as being the ONLY magician in the world, my specs would think of me as very narcissistic and my own belief is that it is unrealistic as people know that there are other magi in the world who do parties, work restaurants and perform shows at local malls and other performing venues. When I do use the DC or Houdini storyline it’s for people who are already familiar with one or both of them. In general the Houdini story is saved for magi and other people who know that Houdini walked through a brick wall and the it lends itself to several bits of humor which are exclusive to each story. I certainly don’t mention that there is a fraternity or the like or how I learned to do the things I do. Also, if the mention of other magician’s names lessoned me as a performer in the eyes of my audience, than it must have happened many, many moons ago when someone saw me perform and blurted out the name “Copperfield” or “Henning” which has happened countless times over the years and I would assume that other magi find this happens to them too, at least in an informal settings. I don’t feel threatened by mentioning magi such as DC because simply put, there is no comparison; Dave is king. I’m not bothered by that and my specs have let me know that they aren’t either. I think a lot of magicians who perform live for people find, like myself, that people give you extra credit for being able to do it in front of the rather than on TV.

Day 3
danielellis_5
View Profile
Loyal user
Sheffield
211 Posts

Profile of danielellis_5
Wow that was great is it your own or someone elses.

thanks for showing us that

thanks
Dan
Best quote from a spectator"I know how he did that,it was sleight of hand"(spectator then sits back looking pleased with himself)
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

It's Gaeton bloom's Elevator or Escalator; I can't remember which as I belive there may be two versions, however when searched on the net only Escalator shows up.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Nice job.... I have always loved this effect....
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1003 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Thanks, Gaeton Bloom has so many great ideas. Thanks for the thoughts as well. I hear what you are saying, I can see how bringing up classic magic, or Houdini can form a frame for what you are doing, but I still think of Copperfield as too contemporary. I would never reference him because he is doing magic now, it is better service to yourself to refer to them as on the same plane as yourself.

I'll put it this way. Generally people have never seen magic before, or at least not done well. If one while presenting it too one's audience, mentions that there are others that do these things, and that some of them do even greater things than what you are showing, you are downplaying the experience on two levels. First, the existence of more magic makes the particular magic being presented less magical, and Second, the existence of greater magic makes what is being presented less magical.

I didn't mean to imply that you should try and act like the only magician in the world, or drive in that there are not others. But while you are on, it's about you, and I have seen many take away from this fact. I have seen magicians say things such as "Watch this, it's like David Blaine but not on TV," it characterizes them as not as good. Basically I am reacting more to others than you and venting it here, so, sorry for that. But I do think there is value in considering this thought.
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

No offence taken! I should have mentioned that the only people I use the DC or Houdini stories for are people whom I know are familier with the story, otherwise I ask if when they were kids, they were ever sent to their room as punishment or if they were ever grounded and I patter about wouldn't it have been nice if the could've walked through walls and found escape from their prison; in fact I've actually found myself talking to an elderly man who was in prison for a leangthy period of time and when I had finished the routine he was not in tears, but his eyes were glassy and he said "if only steel and stone were paper and smiled at me. It was I who had to hold bac the tears then. I stopped my performance and we chatted for a long time about freedom and being jailed. I take my cues from my specs when it comes to storytelling and since the DC etc. storyines were well received (the liked the fact that I was able to come up with something that was they believed was of my own invention) or so they think...hee hee!). I believe that one should tailor their stories to fit their audience and try my best to do so, however this effect had such a strong impact on one of my "regular" specs that she exclaimed "I comepletely forgot what the story behind this one was" and stated giggling. As long as my specs have had a fun and magical experience when I perform, I'm satisfied. I appreciate what you said about magi who say things such as the Blaine comment you mentioned, personally I think it's a tacky thing to say and would downplay their performance as well as saying that "magic on TV isn't "real" magic, here this is real magic". It hurts the art and both of the performers when that happens. I suppose what I'm trying to say is magic is what "you" make it, so make it good magic.

Day 9
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Nice!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Walking Through A Cardboard Wall (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL