The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Fire Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
376 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
How many of you still use fire in your program. As a Sunday school teaching I use to use flash paper, flash string and the burning bible all the time. Now it has been a couple of years since I have used the flash paper and string. Still use the burning bible but not very often. Smoke and fire detectors and liability issues seem to be putting an end to this fun. We will save the head chopper discussion for another time.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Theres no smoke and fire detectors in Hell. Hope no body uses the fire effects to scare the kids. We shouldn't force people to make up their minds about where they want to spend eternity. IF people are using infernos to do that, yes people need to be scared but not to a point where they are forced make up their minds.
Plus scaring kids might influence them to persue other believes that don't have a Hell in them.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Heat and smoke detectors are becoming more and more a city requirement in public meeting places. At least they are in southern California.

Could put a damper on your magic show if your burning bible set off the fire alarm!

(False alarms to the fire department have a big price tag associated.)

It would be an interesting final performance that people would talk about for years.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I've never had a fire book set off a smoke alarm. You just don't keep it open that long. I doubt Flash Paper would do it either. In fact this Yuletide I was at a wedding where the Bride and Groom were presented with a Comedia del Arte production in which a sparkler was lit (as the fuse of a bomb) and even that didn't set off the fire alarm even though they were standing right underneath the smoke detector.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
265 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
I use flash paper in virtually every show I do and it's never caused an alarm to go off. I agree with Payne that if you use a burning book effect you need to close the book before smoke starts to rise. It's the smoke, not the flame that causes the alarm to go off.

Tony Brent
http://www.herestony.com
Outta Control Magic Show
"Orlando's funniest dinner show" - Orlando Weekly
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
376 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
I used the flash string to produce a silk, flash paper for many things but I loved to throw a fireball with a message falling out of it. It's not just the smoke detectors, it is also the concern that the children will copy you. Because the children see me all the time, they have a level of comfort and feel it I do it, they can. A visiting magician has a mystic about them that doesn't foster this. Unfortunately the room I teach in has nine foot ceiling ant the fire detector is right above me. Hopefully we will move our children's church into a bigger room next year and I will use some of the stuff I used in the past.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I no longer use fire or flash items in my show.

One of the things that influenced my decision, was many years ago, when I accidently set of a smoke detector at a After-School Care Centre, just by using my flash wand in a normal way. The fire trucks responded to the alarm. The customer was forgiving, but I learned a lesson.

One alternative idea to using a flash wand, etc. is to use a confetti wand or just use hand-held throw streamers.

Here is my current train of thought -- there is lots of great magic out there, without having to use fire in kids or family shows.

Fire is scary to some children, regardless of whether it has a "magical" origin or not.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Instead of using fire, I read that Jeff Macbride suggests using something less combustive such as streamers, confetti or Kabuki streamers. It will be safer for the kids ( No telling how many kids tried to make their own Bibles burn or tried to mimic the magician in any fire act.) And you get a colorful suprise instead of heat.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
There is a new type of smoke powder available that is not classed as pyro, or so I am told. It may be safer, but it would probably still set off the smoke/fire detectors.
Mister Mystery
FriarShaun
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
80 Posts

Profile of FriarShaun
Hey where can I get a burning book? I have always wanted one. I used flash paper to remove my eyebrows and a good part of my beard in front of a Sunday school class once. It was cool! but smelled horrible.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-04-07 23:37, FriarShaun wrote:
Hey where can I get a burning book? I have always wanted one. I used flash paper to remove my eyebrows and a good part of my beard in front of a Sunday school class once. It was cool! but smelled horrible.

If yu pick up last months isue of MAKE magazine http://www.makezine.com/ it had instructions on how to build one
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Personally, I use fire in my kids show, Bang/flash wands ans flash paper, and have had no problem with smoke alarms. In one library show I didn't use it because the ceiling was quite low and the system was close, but otherwise, I say go for it.

I give a disclaimer with my shows, as far as "its natural not supernatural, some appearances of danger, don't copy it etc", and have had no negative feedback from clients for using fire and danger type tricks
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Randy even used fire / magic at his wedding, if I recall correctly. I don't remember the disclaimer, though. Smile Hehehe!

- Donald
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
No disclaimer there, I figured, if Cara and I were cool with it, it didn't matter... I DO keep the blade tricks away from her, in case she gets mad at me Smile
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
No, I meant a disclaimer about getting married, not about doing tricks with fire. Smile Ha!

Just kidding!

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Fire Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL