The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves, eggs, sexes.. help please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Hi guys, I need your help here, I'm a bit confused...

I was given a couple of doves about a month or so ago. I assumed they were a male and a female because they looked really in love and were cooing all the time, which was a pain to my ears. I thought I knew which one was the female and which was the male. The male cooed much more and his neck bacame much bigger. A magician I know was looking to swap a female with a male so I said I would give him my male because I thought the loud cooing would be over. This happened today, and my female cooed a lot, while the female (this one for sure) the magician gave me didn't. He said that she would lay many eggs. My female, however, never laid any egg. Does it mean I had two males? They were so close, always staying together, if one flew the other would follow and so on. if I separate them they would constantly call for each other.
So what should I do if the new dove lays eggs? Throw them away? Are eggs like period for humans if they are not fertilized? how often does it happen? I don't have a nest by the way.

Posted: Apr 7, 2008 5:52pm
By the way,as soon as the new dove arrives she threw up on me... is that normal?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5019 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magicodine, I'm not a bird doctor but doves do not throw up unless there is something wrong with them. They are either sick or have an over stuffed crop which isn't good. It could mean they have a digestion problem. I'd keep it away from your other bird.

Not all females lay eggs but if they do, they will not hatch unless there is a male present to fertize them. If the bird is alone and lays an egg, you can throw it away. If your new bird gets well and put them together, watch them. If they only lay 2 eggs, wait for about 23 days. If they don't hatch, throw them away. If they lay more than 2 eggs, you have two females.

Once they start laying eggs, they will continue to lay them. There really isn't a set pattern as to how often. Some of my birds lay eggs every month, while others don't lay eggs for several months. I don't raise them any more so I throw them away as sson as I see them whether they are fertile or not.

You should put a nest of some type in the cage. If you don't they will lay the eggs on the floor of the cage or just let it drop from a perch. That can get messy. At least in a nest, they are easy to gather up.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One of the best predictors of egg laying is length of daylight. Artificial light counts! Doves are "long day" breeders. Thus, the days are getting longer by 4 minutes each day this time of year. Doves will start laying more frequently.

In Fall you will see it reverse.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves, eggs, sexes.. help please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL