The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Costume (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
I'm looking to change my appearance for my childrens shows. Can you give me some ideas of what you guys wear for your children's shows?

Thanks,
Dan
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I just dress smart so I look professional: trousers, shirt, tie, and bright waistcoat. I'm a magician, not a clown so I don't dress as one.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I dress like a clown. (Admittedly, this look isn't for everyone.)

Seriously, Primary and Secondary colors seem to work well with the kids. Too bright and you'll take away from your magic. Just bright enough to help hold their attention without diverting their attention to your clothes is a good rule of thumb in my opinion.
:clownonball:
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I dress as a Wizard (I started well before this Harry Potter lark). No beard or make up, just the costume. Works well for me anway.
Phillip
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
440 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I dress as a magician. Black pants, tux shirt, black vest, black bowtie. I have changed vests now and then to ones with different colors and stuff on them depending on the show.
Shawn
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I wear a yellow suit. You can see it on my web site: http://www.MagicParty.co.nz
Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I go along with Emazdad and Shawn D. I've done more kids shows than is possible to count and I find that dressing smartly (like a magician) but with colour is THE way to go.
I used to dress a bit wackier and the kids were much less disciplined but that changed overnight when I changed my attire.

Hope that helps.

Billy
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2097 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I wear a Harlequin pants, red tee-shirt, large Harlequin tie and a spinner multicolor hat. I'm a clown without out make up, basically.
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
I go for smart, almost traditional magician, but with 'Harry Hill' style lofted collar and swirling pattern plain white shirt.

Smart but strange, for me. I like that.

But I agree with Emazdad completely: I'm not a clown so my dress is intentionally different to what a clown would wear.

Most of all, the costume is really what I like and feel comfortable and confident in.

Incidentally, it is the same costume I use for adults too.

Best regards,

Carlo
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree with carlo,

You really need a costume that not only stands out but you feel comfortable and relaxed in. It also needs to fit your own personal style and character on stage.

I also try to stay far away from dressing as a clown, as that is not my intended market or character. I am a magician specializing in family-friendly shows and I want to make sure my customers see me in that light as well.

No matter how you dress, you should still always try and make yourself professional and presentable.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
I wear comfy light blue trousers, stripy knee high socks, converse trainers, bright t-shirt (currently Superman logo - for Stu Di Doo of course!) and a yellow jacket made for me by a friend of my wife.

I am looking to get a bright waistcoat though for the summer months! Any ideas anyone?

Stu Di Doo
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Try http://www.janetsteward.co.uk/ she does my waistcoats and the price is very reasonable, Janet will send you lots of samples and then you send her your messurments and she then makes the waistcoat. Her work is of a very high standard and I highly reccomend her.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have to follow suit.
Dress smart and colorful.
I wear a bright blue jacket and a gold or black shirt.

Main thing is dress in what fits you. Not what others are wearing.
Daniel Faith
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2407 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I'm having trouble finding bold-enough shirts, but I just love the pants I get from http://www.chefsupply.com - the blue tie-dye and "psychedelic" colored ones are great and wear like iron!
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
I go pirate, scarf on the head, vest, the dreaded puffy shirt, cloth parrot velcro-ed to the shoulder (of the shirt), magic sack and... a balloonsword. At the end of the show I make the children honorary members of my crew and hand out the balloonswords.

I also have a few good pirate lines to introduce me to the children at the start.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I go as sort of a fairy tale character (least one of my personas is like that.) The character and name is of my own creation.
I'm wearing the costume in my avatar.

Other times I've performed in a simple white dress if the show is during the day and a mixed crowd of adults and children.(Max Maven once called me good to his evil..nyuck nyuck) It depends on the venue and while I try not to change my mode of dress often so the audience identifies more readily with me. Night time attire, I may change to a black formal dress.

Chrystal
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Emazdad,

How do you send your measurements to Janet? I mean, which measurements does she need?

Also, what about pockets? Do you specify what pockets you want (e.g. to accommodate various props)?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7374 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Well, I keep the tradition going strong. I wear a black suit-style tuxedo, complete with jacket. By suit-style I mean no tails. I wear a white shirt, and a red tie / comberbund set.

The colour red (accents) matches my wife's outfit. At one time she wore a blue outfit, and so I wore a blue tie / cumberbund set.

I am comfortable wearing a tuxedo, although I know many people aren't. In that case, don't wear one.

Even though this outfit may seem typical, I have to tell you I am the only one in my area who wears a tuxedo for kidshows.

In my area, there are a couple of amateur magicians (by that I mean non-paid, I don't mean not professional) who perform magic wearing tuxedos now and then, but because Shannon and I do a two person act, we are still unique and remembered.

I have tried other costumes such as suits, and even a costume as a teenager that included black pants, a black turtleneck sweater, a cape and a top hat, but settled on the tuxedo about 8 years ago.

I also read that Family Fued once did a poll of 100 people, asking about typical magicians clothes. Somewhere around 85% of people said a tuxedo. People have all sorts of preconceived notions about magicians.

However, I dress in a tuxedo for 2 reasons:

1) it looks professional to the customer

2) I am comfortable in the outfit

- Donald.

P.S. Chrystal - "good to Max's evil." That's funny! lol
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
I like to wear a bright performers waistcoat - one of those with the multipockets hidden throughout.

very practical and aesthetically pleasing to the kids
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Costume (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL