The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 2nd Best Holdout (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
Seems that many agree that the Kohler/Fitch Holdout is the best of the available holdouts. Like many magicians, I can't afford the best. I also can not afford those fancy mechanical holdouts made by Owen, etc. So, what do you feel is the second best holdout, excluding those wonderful, expensive, mechanical holdouts? To simplify, lets reduce to "gravity holdouts".

On a second note, how would you build "end", "catch", or "pull" for a single dollar sized coin? My first thought is shim/magnet combo. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Keith
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This has been discussed before in the secret sessions area but you need to have 50 posts to read the topics.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You final thought "shim, etc." makes most sense. You can make you own gravity ala Jack Miller for pennies.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
Making a holdout is rather simple in theory, but will take quite some time getting it just right. as for a good coin catch maybe play around with some small electrical alligator clips. also get the holdout book by ed mischell (sp?). its worth its weight in gold and costs less than 5.00. good luck KeithP.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thayer used to make a coin pull made of wood. Dai Vernon used and loved it. You can also consider a flat area with a waxy-like material.

I just thought of a way to improve it... will see if I can get some made up.
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
Good luck with that Pete. Ever play around with the Fitch/Kohler holdout??
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No... been a Jack Miller HO user (although I make may own gravity unit).
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
I made a very basic version and liked the possibilites that it opened. they are quite useful little items aren't they Pete?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you get the Ed Mishell book "Holdout Miracles" you will see how great they can be. I have a super simple one for a chop cup and one for a killer egg bag routine with a plain paper bag.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 13:35, Pete Biro wrote:
If you get the Ed Mishell book "holdout miracles" you will see how great they can be. I have a super simple one for a chop cup and one for a killer egg bag routine with a plain paper bag.

Using an everyday object for magic? How unique! LOL

When I bought some of the estate of a famous old magician, I learned that his basic props were made of snuff cans and Prince Albert cans. Why not? Creativity is basic to good magic. We go from the known to the unknown. Finding a holdout container for a deck of loose cards makes a Prince Albert can solid gold!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Safety pins, fishing line, a large washer or two, some silly putty... ah the joys of starting one's explorations.

Nice when wearing a jacket, but things get real interesting when doing walk-around magic, etc., in the real world - that's where you likely want to find cleaner and better insulated solutions to problems you will find as you start from the above. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bob,

Are you on the same thread as I am? Ah, no you're not.

Jonathan,

Three flyin' kinda guy, there are few things cleaner than a hold-out. Very few. Using the F/K or Wonder versions allow the darned thing to be effectively "put away" when it is not needed.

It is utilitarian, little seen and completely subterranean to our lay friends. I wonder what you have against the little toy?!?!

Wandering back to the thread. 2nd best hold out isn't important. The F/K variant is great. What matters is practicing with the darned thing. Don't worry about who makes a good one. Take the copy of "Hold-out Miracles" you probably already own. Very complete instructions for making one are in there.

Make one! Practice with it and determine if you think it is worth your time. It ain't the gaffs that make the difference, it's the well practiced and rehearsed people plying them!

KG
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right... practice and do not be greedy with the principle. What a chop cup routine you can do with one. Also... my Egg bag with a plain paper bag (I even did it once with a semi clear plastic bag) can kill.

My home made H.O. probably took 15-20 minutes to make and costs under a couple of bucks. Waiting for the JB weld (quick) to dry included.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Pete,

Someday some feller is going to come up with a killer C&B routine with one!

KG
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A Challenge? Wait 'til I get to the "Cups Con" Smile Smile Smile
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I'm looking forward to seeing you again. I wish I had the background to come up with a HO based cups and balls routine. Someone will take the magic world by storm with this idea.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Sorry to drift off topic for a sec, but that wooden cigar website is great! !
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Dooblehorn,

John Rogers is very good magician. He makes the best props in his little corner of the magic universe. I like his products very much.

Getting back to the thread, if you're not handy with !@#embling things or are simply lazy, the hold out he sells is:

Inexpensive as magic props go. (Really inexpensive as far as holdouts go!) and well made.

His video "Smokin' Candies" is the best video information out there on using a hold out. (If you want to buy the 2000 dollar version it actually comes with better DVDs but this thread is about the second best holdout.)

Please check the second post in this thread. That guy is a freakin' genius!!

KG
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
TDhanks for the link to John's H.O. Demo... I guess I'll have to see about making up a few of my ball H.O. vanish/producers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 2nd Best Holdout (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL