The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 2nd Best Holdout (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2131 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Kentfgunn:
You are correct, the guy makes friggin amazing stuff..I took another look and ended up getting dual ciggy and the DVD...!
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Dooblehorn,

When you get to watching John's DVD, seriously consider working up a HO based G.W. Hunter-style cigar routine. I've only seen John, Chris Kenner and John Carney do the cigar thing. It is really magical. When you pull one of John's cigars out of that tiny purse, your audience will be amazed.

KG
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1804 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I love my Romeros perfect holdout. Its not cheap either, around 200$ but it works very well for what it is. Also the lack of lock has never been a problem for me cos I only use it twice in my whole act. Its easy to put it to inside pocket when not in use and due to nature how it is constructed, there isn't really a problem of it popping out of view when you don't expect.

Now I am just wondering that if I am so happy with this, how happy I would be with Kohler/fitch one Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The Romero holdout "The Perfect Holdout" is very nice. I agree.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Korttihai_82,

If you have developed a good set of performances using the Romero HO I applaud you. HO work is difficult to perfect.

The "Other" slightly more expensive model will not disappoint you. I don't know if you'll get ten times the ability or ten times the number of tricks out of the other model. You will pay ten times the amount of money for it.

I have never, ever seen a more versatile, well-thought out magical solution than the Fitch/Kohler system. I suspect from your writing style and phrasing that you'll be just fine with Mr. Romero's model.

I know that James Riser makes an outstanding model. I'm not cool enough for him to sell stuff to though. I don't have one of his. If you have a previously existing economic arrangement with Mr. Riser, I'd contact him.

KG
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Although, I've not had the privileged of seeing or using the Fitch/Kohler, I'm sure there is not a better or more complete gravity hold-out system in the world. The DVD’s alone may very well be worth the price.

As for the “Second Place” gravity hold-out, I would have to agree, because of quality and price of the Romero "The Perfect Holdout", it is it. The small movement producing a large one is an awesome and deceiving addition to the original Miller. I acquired years ago, one very similar but made of brass and rosewood, minus the weight, and did not know what it was for, until I bought "The Perfect Holdout". I’m sure you could even make one, but if your time is worth $10.00 an hour, your dollars ahead just buying one, it is absolute, top quality.

As for mechanical holdout machines, I would have to put "The Black Widow" up for “First Place”. "The Black Widow" has similarities of both the "Martin" and the "Kepplinger" holdout machine. All these machines have their draw backs but none that could not be over come trough minor modifications and practice.

The Jacob's ladder type holdout, like the one Mr. James Riser copies and Owens makes and sells are really only practical if you are sitting at a table. The biggest drawback is weather they are made by Riser, Owen or an antique, they are very expensive. As for cost, the same can be said for the "Martin" and the "Kepplinger" holdout machine.

So, for less than 10%, of the cost of the other mechanical holdout machines you get
"The Black Widow" holdout, that allows you to show your hand empty, turn your hand palm down, then turn it back over and have something appear or disappear, as if by magic, and it is all done wile staying right if front of you and everyone else.
The "The Black Widow” would have to be modified to use with cards and coins but would be worth the time and effort.

Finley, I will say what TG wrote about practice, it is the gospel. Put it on, wear it, live with it, until it becomes part of you, and you will be able to do slight of hand miracles that will blow away professionals and lay people alike.

I should have looked first; Owen’s is a "Kepplinger" type holdout machine for cards and does not show other attachments.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Magoantonio
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Magoantonio
The Perfect Hold Outnow reaches a level . With a new system, the Perfect Hold Out works also horizontally, opening the door to the kind of effects that are done with the Raven, the Bat, or with a magnetic ring.
You can see know this new work with the Perfect Hold Out and a Demo in
http://www.themagicworkshop.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What does "with a new system" mean? I have always liked that holdout. very well made.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 05:57, Magoantonio wrote:
The Perfect Hold Outnow reaches a level . With a new system, the Perfect Hold Out works also horizontally, opening the door to the kind of effects that are done with the Raven, the Bat, or with a magnetic ring.
You can see know this new work with the Perfect Hold Out and a Demo in
http://www.themagicworkshop.com

If you have the original, do you have to buy a new one to add the improvement?

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 10:04pm
Go to Antonio’s webpage http://www.themagicworkshop.com left click on INFO a link will pop up, type in daivernon . That will take you to his helpful and informative page devoted to the hold out. There you will find these headings: HISTORY, DESCRIPTION, IDEAS, RIEVIEWS, AND PHO plus. They are all worth a click, especially PHO plus. You can also contact Antonio with your questions, like I did. I received a helpful reply, almost immediately from Antonio and that just adds to my already overwhelming approval for The Perfect Hold Out.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes, to make a long story short, if you can CP or FP something you can go from vertical to horizontal for the acquisition phase... but you still really need to watch out when attempting takeout or delivery.

how's that for respectful non-exposure?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
Is this "enhanced" system the type that magic vendors (say, Madhatter) would carry now? Or is it something that's available only through Romero?
magicparis
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicparis
When you use the perfect holdout and you are attached to your watch, can you still do other tricks that you choose not to use the hold out. Since there is no locking mechanism will the ma---et just fall into your hand.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Basically, we can't give you any technical details in an open forum.

Once we know more about you, someone might PM some details to you. There is a way to overcome what you are referring to, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The DVD that the Invisible Hand came up with are definitely worth their price.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Romero will be at the coming World Magic Seminar to perform and demonstrate his H.O. system. I can't wait! (March 1-4, '09 at the Orleans Hotel, Las Vegas). Go to http://www.theworldmagicseminar.com to register.

Roberto Giobbi will be there too presenting his "Homage to Vernon."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
Hi all,
I started this thread, so I figured I'd give an update...

Kentfgunn:
Thanks for your advice on and off this forum! I agree that the http://www.woodencigars.com is a great a great source. At no time did you ever expose anything about any hold out, but I still feel that you can see the great advantage and value of a first rate holdout such as F&K's and it's ability to be easily turned "off" and "on".

Bill Palmer:
Thanks for the links! I recently passed the 50 usefull post mark. They were really informative.

Pete Biro:
Thank you! I did go out and buy "holdout miracles". It seemed to match the "Invisible Hand" holdout.

Korttihai:
I'd love to study the Romeros holdout. I don't want to invenst $200 to study it though. If I find a real place for a holdout in my show, I'll consider an upgrade.

Lawrence O:
I got this advice from someone else, that the Invisible hand holdout is the next logical step.

Well...what I have done...
First...I got an invisible hand holdout before the DVD's came out. I felt the price was right considering I did not have a place in my show for it yet.
Second...I got "holdout miracles." It was great. A very informative booklet.
Third...I got the invisible hand holdout DVD set in October 2008. I felt it was a great set of DVD's. If anyone gets the DVD's, don't get the booklet. Everything in the booklet is in the DVD's, but not necessarily vice versa.

I utimately agree with Kentfgunn, that is more about practice and use than the actual equipment. My current path is to try to find if I can use this device to enhance the effectiveness of a routine I currently have, or if there is a new routine that fits my current performance character.

This is NOT an end to this thread! Just an update of where I am now.

Thank you all!

Keith
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
I feel I have made a mistake. I stated in my previous post...

"If anyone gets the DVD's, don't get the booklet. Everything in the booklet is in the DVD's, but not necessarily vice versa."

I have reviewed the booklet, and that is not true. There are a few bits in the booklet that I did not find in the DVD's.

I still feel they are both great resources.

Keith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 2nd Best Holdout (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL