The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Los Angeles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Hey guys, I'm going to be in the LA area for a few days this summer. What are some good spots to do some strolling street magic?

Block of Orange
Irvine Spectrum
Others?
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Newport Beach, the pier area, you can work your way down in either direction as well. Huntington Beach and Bolboa are on either side. Their are usually street performers of one type or another along the beach areas. Go early or you won't find a great spot to park. I really don't think the Spectrum Center would be the greatest, they often have events on the go in the summer that are put together by the center so you may find that one tough. There is Houdini's Magic shop, but it's very much like the ones in Vegas. If you get up by Westminster an old aquantince of mine owns a magic shop there (Magic Galore) and he's a terrific fellow. You never know who might drop by for something either. Avoid Venice Beach as they have alotted spots I believe for venders and peformers. Sort of a lottery thing if I'm not mistaken. I don't do street magic but I know the areas very well, hope it gives you some ideas. If anything else comes to mind I'll let you know.

Jeff
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Hollywood Blvd. of course has lots of tourists looking to be entertained. The Grove is ok, it's a little tougher crowd since it's more locals. City Walk at Universal Studios also has a lot of tourists walking around.

Good Luck!!!
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I am not from California, but I go there often. I'd give Newport Beach a go.
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
You will want to go to the most ghetto spot there is if you are filming because that is always good for tv.
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Not sure if you are from or ever been in LA rydogg but I would suggest that is not such a good idea. There are some areas which you called "Ghetto" that it would be a rather foolish place to go for non residents or someone let's just say not spoting a specific color.

These areas don't make for good filming for a slew of reasons which we need not get into now. Also dBaker mentioned only doing some strolling magic and there are many ideal spots in Orange County and Los Angeles County to do just that. No need to put your person in a situation or place that isn't condusive to safety.

Dbaker, if you need anymore tips or places other than some of the suggestions posted let me know. I can come up with a few more if your still looking. Have fun in SoCal, it's a magical place. If you have the chance as well get yourself an invite for the Magic Castle. You may have allready been more than likely but a trip to SoCal for any magician wouldn't be the same without dinner and a show at the castle.

All the best,
Jeffrey Kraemer
nitemares666
View Profile
New user
Michigan
46 Posts

Profile of nitemares666
Newport Beach is fun
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I live in the OC. I've thought about the Block of Orange -- but always talked myself out of it just cause of the security. In the past they were always kind of pushy. Maybe things have changed. I'm really not sure.
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Venice Beach
Third Stret Promenade (Santa Monica)
Universal City Walk
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Just wanted to bring up that I was out trying to record some video of my Street Mentalim today. I went to the Block of Orange. 4 Security guards appeared and their stupid segways and made us leave. When my camera man/good friend asked what we would have to do to be allowed to film this over weight guy said get permission and pay "2 Million dollars". Yeah...he thought he was real cute. Anyway, he also said that any kind of performing is banned from there.

So...if you're a tourist don't even think about taking that camera out at the Block.

Another thing I think is funny is how they have no problem w/ kids skateboarding or riding their bikes thru the Block. I mean those kids and their parents spend money at the Skatepark -- they don't want to loose that money. Even if those kids do run into you as your walking around the corner.

In short! Street Magicians, Stay away from the Block of Orange.

~Robert EC Valdemar
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
There's a big differnce between doing a bit of magic for fun and making a video.

The Block of Orange is regularly visited by ESPN and such, whom pay location fees to the Block's owners. Why should you get to do it for free?
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I'm very cool with them saying, "hey we don't want everyone filming on our location". That's no biggie. I take issue with them circling us with security. And then when we ask how to go about filming there by the rules they give us some BS about, "You need to pay 2 Million dollars". They didn't even want to give us a chance. It was a nice/smart-*** way of saying 'you can't film here, ever'.

And going by what they said to us, it was very clear that no performing was allowed. Camera or otherwise. So, Street Magicians stay clear.

And just so we are clear -- No, we were not loud. No, we were not rude. No, we didn't put up a fight. The biggest my audience got was 8 people who were not blocking any exits or standing in the way of anyone.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Oh, don't pay them no mind. They make like 10 bucks an hour and have to dress like rent a cop monkeys 5 days a week. They probably hate their jobs. Smile

Keep up the good work. Smile
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Haha Yeah, how can you take grown men riding on 3 wheeled Segways seriously? Thanks for the encouragement, SoCalPro!
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
I get the impression that "rydogg6016" was making a sarcastic joke about some street magic vids we've all seen.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-05-04 18:50, Jerskin wrote:
Venice Beach
Third Stret Promenade (Santa Monica)
Universal City Walk

If Universal City Walk is part of Universal Studios, doesn't that make it private property? As such, wouldn't it be very difficult, if not well neigh impossible, to actually do strolling magic there without getting Universal Studio's permission first?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
shortdog
View Profile
New user
Ft. Bragg
64 Posts

Profile of shortdog
Doing anything on City Walk can be "ify" when we were younger my friends got arrested for being out past cerfew. That made for a lousy night. I think that as long as you don't bother people, or take tips, you should be ok.

Look into the santa monica pier. Unless you do a lot of coin stuff. It would really ruin your mood to loose a nice coin into the water.
I LOVE the night life in Santa Barbra, state street. Lots of college kids going clubbing. But it has some high class shops that are very foot travel friendly durring the day.
Good luck, I leaving cali tomorrow, and it's never a long enough visit.
-Daniel McGuinny

How do you get a magician to show you 100 tricks?
Ask him to show you one!
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Forget the smog and traffic jams in Los Angeles -- come to sunny San Diego instead about 120 miles south! Mission Beach boardwalk would be a great place to do walk-around magic. So would Balboa Park (but I think you need a permit for the park). When you're tired of doing magic, enjoy the many miles of spectacular beaches running from the Mexican border all the way to the Orange County line in the north.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Los Angeles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL