We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spectator involvement and coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
FeiFongWong
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of FeiFongWong
Coin magic seems, as far as I've seen in my 3 years in magic, to be mainly 'watch me' tricks. Coins across, vanishes, coins through the table: none of them really let the spectator get involved in the magic. Compared to card magic, the options seem a lot less to really get the spectator involved in the trick.

The only coin routine I've ever seen which fits this criteria is Tommy Wonder's 'socked coins', which by the way, looks incredible. Are there any other coin routines which can really get people involved in the magic?
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Scotch and soda? Or would that not be considered a routine?
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
There are numerous effects that involve the spec. Copper silver transpo, Scotch and Soda (as mentioned), coins across in to the spectator's hand, Miser's dream, silver extraction and on and on and on.
Wes
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
One of the things I always like to do is incorporate my spectators with the coin magic.

My DVD, Coin Man Walking features several routines with the spectators.

CSB Assault is done in and out of their hands
Double Take Transposition occurs in and out of their hands
Four Coins Your Hands is a coins across from their one hand to their other hand.

Many published coins across routines end with the last coin going to the spectator's hand as well.

Dan
Click to visit:
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Daivd Stone from France has a few coin routines, using the spectator's hand for help.

Oliver.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Troy Hooser's Charming Chinese Challenge is also a very nice routine that involves spectators. It's also a bit different to the usual coin plots, so it helps to spice up the repertoire a bit.
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
535 Posts

Profile of travisb
It's one thing to use parts of the spectator's body as a table (and it's a good thing), and it's another to have the kind of involvement that happens in some card magic, or in mentalism. I don't have an answer, but it's an interesting question.

-Travis
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2008-04-10 11:09, FeiFongWong wrote:
Coin magic seems, as far as I've seen in my 3 years in magic, to be mainly 'watch me' tricks. Coins across, vanishes, coins through the table: none of them really let the spectator get involved in the magic. Compared to card magic, the options seem a lot less to really get the spectator involved in the trick.

The only coin routine I've ever seen which fits this criteria is Tommy Wonder's 'socked coins', which by the way, looks incredible. Are there any other coin routines which can really get people involved in the magic?

Fugitive coins... Roth... I've said too much already.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2008-04-10 16:48, travisb wrote:
It's one thing to use parts of the spectator's body as a table (and it's a good thing), and it's another to have the kind of involvement that happens in some card magic, or in mentalism. I don't have an answer, but it's an interesting question.

-Travis

This rings true for me too, but hey, I'm not a coin guy. Any more suggestions? Real involvement rather than just being assistants?
Cheers
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
I hate to toot my own horn but my "Not So Gaffless Hopping Halves" is considered interactive. In this routine, the spectator is not an assistant but rather an interactive participant. The spectator gets to choose , touch and feel the coins. They are also drawn into the story.

Perhaps those who have seen or tried this can comment.

Another one that comes to mind is Shigeo Futagawa's tables coin effect where it starts as a memory test and ends up with a big surprise. Can someone help me with the name. It involves an arrow shape.

Doc Eason's C/S/B routine also comes to mind.

Hope this helps...it was tougher than I thought!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Thanks Rannie, I'll check out Doc Eason's CSB, I'm sure it's on his bar magic series.
Cheers
Scott

Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If they're attentive then they are involved and interacting mentally, or should be.
Physical interaction isn't the only way.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have to say that Rannie's "Not So Gafless Hopping Halves" is a real winner. Smile

As for myself, in my new "Short Pockets" download, my KrazyKoinZ Across routine involves specs actually holding the coins and picking out which one to give me in the effect. This is all done during the crossing of the 3rd (last) coin and really blows the spec away as he helps to administer the magical finale and can't believe what happens behind what he so "fairly" just did, from his hands to mine. Smile You can check it out here with comments about the effect and package: http://www.vinnymarini.com/download/shortpockets.html

*Also, here's a recent string about it. I love bringing the specs into the magic: Smile
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=3&14

-Mb Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Sorry to add to this huge list of shameless plugs.....but If you're looking for an interactive routine that's as fun to do as visual and entertaining to your audience, check out my Impossible Coins Across in Antinomy Magazine......

http://www.Antinomymagic.com
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
eshdath
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eshdath
Quote:

It really isn't the effect or the items of sleight.It falls more on you and the way in which you present youself.Remember we interact with people ervey day physicaly,mentaly,emotionaly,sometimes spiritualy.
Even if you're doing an audience participation routine of any kind,you and your presentation decide whether or not that they even care that they're involved.Magic begins with you and ends with the effect.
Zion speaks......are you listening?
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
Well..... now that you mentioned it Eric...I kinda feel ashamed. LOL! If I only knew more routines other than my own to add to the list.

Those interested in my Not So Gaffless Hopping Halves....Pls PM MB...I think he still has the link to my video...Yeah the instructional. MB can you kindly send it to the original poster and to whoever you think could use it. If you still have it. GRATIS!

rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
Coin magic seems, as far as I've seen in my 3 years in magic, to be mainly 'watch me' tricks. ...

The self absorbed approach to coin magic is rather new. If you look at older texts, from Scot's "Discoverie of Witchcraft" through Ponsin's "The Latest Magic Revealed" you will find routines with much volunteer and spectator involvement.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Yea and verily--bring back the Testor into piece of bone, and the Ponsin Karate Coin. (using the spectator's finger)

Even rarer than the spectator having a speaking role is the spectator actually having some control over the outcome. One example of the latter is an "any coin called for" coins across, or a "spectator calls the corner" variation of Matrix.

Rannie, the Futagawa routine you mentioned is called "Pyramid" IIRC. While it's not all that unique in terms of interaction (spectators are asked questions in many coin effects) the idea of a magical inversion of a pattern is distinct.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I seen a couple of interactive coin tricks in "Modern coin magic" DVD set by magic makers INC. Another fun trick is the coin in the bottle I have performed with a folding quarter. where you have then hold the bottle with the quarter in the neck while you hand the bottle to them,and not letting them see the coin in the neck. Then you slap another quarter on the bottom wich moves the folded quarter from the neck into the bottle.,they lok at it in amasement,then you remove the quarter switching it out for a non gaffed quarter to be examined. it has been very effective for me.
Most of the veterns in magic have seen or performed this trick.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2008-04-11 14:10, rannie wrote:
Well..... now that you mentioned it Eric...I kinda feel ashamed. LOL! If I only knew more routines other than my own to add to the list.

Those interested in my Not So Gaffless Hopping Halves....Pls PM MB...I think he still has the link to my video...Yeah the instructional. MB can you kindly send it to the original poster and to whoever you think could use it. If you still have it. GRATIS!

rannie

That's very kind of you Rannie and I would be certainly interested in seeing it. I was going to ask you if you had a demo earlier, or if it was published, but I thought you would have posted a link if it was the case. I'm glad I was wrong. Cheers!
Scott

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spectator involvement and coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL