The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Rola Bola (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
Has anybody made one of these? I would like to make my own, but don't know the dimensions of the wood. I would like the PVC pipe to be 7-8 inches in diameter. Thanks in advance, Philip
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
Rola Bowlas are a lot of fun. The size really depends on what you want or what makes you comfortable. Shoulder width and a half long may be a good place to start.

Most people have "brakes" on theirs which are strips of wood on the bottom of the board on each end so that the board won't fly off the pipe (and so you know when at the end). After getting used to the balance I personally got rid of mine to make it look more impressive to the audience. I never found they helped much anyway

Don't forget that there are lots of challenges with this - multiple rollers, on a bowling ball, elevated, one foot, etc.

Have fun
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
The first rola bola I ever tried had a roller at least 10" and a board 4' long with no brakes. I nearly killed myself. Lost it and shot out like some crazy skate board from Back to the Future!
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
All of the Jugglers in my club make their own. They also put no-slip tape on the top of the board for good footing. You can also sprinkle colored sand in wet paint and clear coat over it. The breaks are little strips of wood on the bottom near the ends so your board doesn't shoot off and kill you. LOL Or the juggler standing near you for that matter!
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
Thanks for the tip Jewls, I'm going to have to make one for myself, it seems like it would be quite a bit of fun.
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Can anybody tell me where I might find a picture of this so I can build one? Smile

Ok, I found a site that has a picture with all the dimensions. Go to http://www.dube.com and you will get a picture and dimensions. If you know how to work your tools, you can build this $95 prop for mere pennies.
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Making your own is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a rola bola.

Good instruction on how to use one can be found in Circus Techniques by Hovey Burgess.

ML
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
Is the no-slip tape like adhesive sandpaper? When I make mine, I will probably put some skateboard grip tape on it. Philip
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Well Phil, I think that it's the best bet. It's easy to find and doesn't cost a whole lot.
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I recently went to a lumber yard and got the wood I needed, but they didn't have the PVC pipe. I called around, and one person told me that they don't make 7 inch tube. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, Philip
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
A nice idea for grip tape to stop your feet from slipping is to visit a skating shop. At my local skate shop (Boardwise, London) you can buy a roll of grip tape for about £3 ($5).

It's like a sandpaper that sticks. Smile
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Phillip, they do make it, but only for special puposes such as ground water pipe. The only place you can get it is from a construction yard if they have some left over. But it might be a bit pricey.

Update: I just talked to my dad who is in the construction business, and he told me that 7 inch diameter PVC is normally no more than 2-3 inches longer than the contractor needs. Smile
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
Oh man Nate, that's a real good reason to cry, I wanted to get together with you to make one myself... Smile
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I am probably going to end up buying some 6 inch. That is a bummer. I will look for a website that sells some and will tell you if I find one. Philip
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Hello again,
You can use 6" but look for a connector that connects the 6" pipes. I think that's what they use.
knockknocktheclown
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of knockknocktheclown
Just a thought about a movie called
"Clowning Around". The main character uses a Rola Bola in I believe part one and two. That is where I was first got introduced to it.

I made mine by just fishing around at construction sites and where they are building houses. I would ask the builders. Of course to them it is trash, for me it's GOLD. I haven't used it in a while. I don't juggle so I really can't figure out a good use for it. Maybe some sleight of hand or balloon twisting while standing on top. HMMM Any suggestions? Please....
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Anything you can think of to do on the rola-bola. If you're doing a kids show, have them try it (but make sure that they're not too young) and then do it yourself.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Here's a site on building them:

http://www.juggling.org/help/other-props......ing.html

They actually recommend smaller diameter pipes if you are just starting out!
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I just finished making my rola bola, and it is a blast! I got 6 inch pipe and it is just fine. I can do clubs on it, and I am trying to find some other tricks. Philip
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Good job Philip. Just be careful on that thing and don't go busting anything open.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Rola Bola (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL