The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How is it done? C'mon... Tell Me!!! (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
5 min google it seems turns up the how was it done on any trick illusion nowdays.
Shy
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Shy
Just give a fake explanation

for example, if you just found their card tell them that you memorized the order of the cards.

if you vanished a coin, just tell them that if you imagine and belive that the coin is gone it really dissappear.

if you made any kind of prediction, tell them that you used hypnosis to secretly suggest the card, the object or whatever you just predicted

However these are just cheap examples, it's up to you if you want to use them
lelando
View Profile
New user
has stuck his foot in his mouth in every one of his
60 Posts

Profile of lelando
Quote:
On May 1, 2008, QED wrote:

How'd you do that?
I won't tell you how I did that, but I'll tell you the biggest secret in all of magic... would you like to know it?
Sure...
(whispered)Whatever magic secret you want to know, it's in a book somewhere...
All you have to do is find the book...

that way, if they have a true interest in magic, they will make the effort to seek it out... if not, they don't deserve to know...

This may just be the best answer in the whole thread. (That said, I know I still have several pages of posts to read, since I'm quoting something on pg.1 of 7. But the bar has been set, and it's high.)
lelando
View Profile
New user
has stuck his foot in his mouth in every one of his
60 Posts

Profile of lelando
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2012, mndude wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-12 07:04, L Trunk wrote:
Baffle them with bull.

Indeed! When I'm asked how I did the ion in the bottle trick, I go on talking about how glass is actually a liquid and you just need to momentarily increase the liquidity of it or a moment.

If you aks me, this is actually a good idea for patter during the trick.
SD Houston
View Profile
New user
Billings, MT
61 Posts

Profile of SD Houston
Just starting out doing magic, I've recently learned the general suckiness of revealing the secret of a magic trick to a a couple of friends. Not a mistake I'll be making again for sure, and these are some really great suggestions, so thanks, folks!
The art of anything is taking the time to learn everything
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2014, SD Houston wrote:
Just starting out doing magic, I've recently learned the general suckiness of revealing the secret of a magic trick to a a couple of friends. Not a mistake I'll be making again for sure, and these are some really great suggestions, so thanks, folks!

Good for you! Telling them is disappointing them.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Vangel
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Vangel
I tell them this and it works everytime, keeping the audience entertained:

Audience: So how did you do it?
Me: *Keep quiet*
Audience: Did you do this or is he also in on the trick?
Me: Do you really want to know how I did it?
Audience: Yes, tell me!
Me: OK I'll tell you but you need to keep it a secret
Audience: Ok I won't tell anyone
Me: I did it... *pause*
Audience: Yes?
Me: With magic!

...other times I just tell them I'm an alien
tstrong2
View Profile
New user
Vacaville, California
11 Posts

Profile of tstrong2
Sometimes it is fun and entertaining to hear some of the theories that the audience has about how a trick was done. I was performing a Silver Scepter routine and one kid thought that there was a remote control for the wand in the case that I was spinning. The rest of the audience agreed with the theory. So, I entertained the idea and had the child spin case for me. It was entertaining watching them searching for a secret button while trying to spin the case. I had the audience where I wanted them. I maintained control of the situation. Everyone had fun. And no secrets were revealed. The whole purpose is to be entertaining. Showmanship is much more difficult to learn than the secret to any trick.

I recently discovered some of the work of Tommy Cooper. A brilliant British Comedian that knew how to work the audience. He died on stage in 1984 during a live televised performance and the audience was laughing and applauding, thinking it was all part of his act. He used magic tricks more as props for his comedy, doing most magic tricks so poorly that it became slapstick and often exposed the secret. The oaths to most of the societies make their members promise never to do things like that.

The interaction with the audience is what you want. Someone asking, especially any boy over 10, is normal. I would be more inclined to tell them something more positive. "I have been sworn to secrecy. I cannot tell; however, I can tell you that the secret to many wonderful magic tricks can be found at your local library." Encouraging them to pursue their interests, or read books.
lopike
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of lopike
Revealing a trick takes out the amazement of them as well. That being said it is hard to fend from the peer pressure.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2012, mndude wrote:
I usually tell them I'm sworn to secrecy, (Which I am) and I also explain to them very FRANKLY the truth that if they knew the secret they would be dissapointed and the magic and the wonder would be lost.

I mean it. I am really honest with people about that.

Perfect. People respect sincerity.
When a spectator (and even other magicians) ask "how you did that", that's their way of saying that they really liked what you showed them. A simple smile and a "did you like that?" is my typical response. When they say "Yes", I thank them or ask if they would like to see another. At which point you can move into your next trick or tell them when and where you'll be performing next, etc.
Bob
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
195 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
One of Micheal Ammar lines is. if I tell me then I have to kill you.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think the personality you create for your magic should dictate your response. For example, if you play the part of someone just fumbling through magic like Dave Williamson, then continue with that approach in answering the "how did you do it?" question with an answer like "I have no clue." This sort of response would work well for someone like Aldo Colombini.

If you are a bit more sophisticated in your presentation, like Michael Ammar who is casual, but not playing the part of a fumbling clown, then a joke like "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.", followed by a laugh and moving on to something else works well.

Think about different magicians, what their personality is, and how they might answer the question. Then think about your personality and how you might answer it.

I think that one thing that most good responses have in common is they tend to be more humorous than serious.

KJ
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
Depending on the situation I've taken advantage of my surroundings, which can work especially well with card tricks. If someone is wearing glasses, or a window or reflective surface nearby I'll drop hints that I was just looking at the reflection. Then I try to followup with something that's obviously not helped at all with reflections to add to the mystery.

Or I'll also tell them I can feel the ink on the cards, using the nice little method of peeking at the face of card with the back held to you. I've literally had a group of people all feeling cards, to see if they could do it too. After they gave up and asked, "Is that really how you do it?" I'll just go, "Nope." and that's usually enough to end it.

But as others have said it needs to be done in a friendly manner. You want to fool them, not make them fools.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
If someone wants you to tell them how something is done, just tell them you accept PayPal lol :p
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I can't help sometimes stealing a line from Burt Wonderstone. I lean forward and conspiratorially whisper "It's partially deboned."

It makes no sense most of the time (imagine that with a card trick), but they tend to drop the subject afterward.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Brilliant, Rook! Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
Occasionally if you do the trick when people are around they might catch you. When they think they know some of the sleights they ask for the rest of the info ont he trick I never give it to them. If you give them your secrets you lose all credibility and they will find your tricks bothersome in the future. I have learned that with my co workers. The one sI alwsy try out new tricks on find me annoying, but the ones I usually don't see often after I have mastered a trick pretty well find me pretty entertaining.
DeceptionStunts
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of DeceptionStunts
Especially with card magic, I always pretend I'm showing them how the last trick is done and move directly into another trick. Gets them every time and they love it.
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
I have to admit a few students figured out the disappearing water cup Monte and all I could do was shrug.
skullfoot13
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of skullfoot13
From one of the greatest magic books/authors Henry Hay,he quotes John Mulholland, 1. I promised not to tell or 2. Well I do it mostly with wire's and mirrors,I sometimes surprise myself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How is it done? C'mon... Tell Me!!! (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL