The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ultragaff Deck from Ellusionist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
394 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Do you have to buy DVDs?
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
It doesn't have a separate price listed on the preview page, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't just buy the deck separately.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What exactly are we talking about, here?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
The deck looks good but they are charging 30 dollars each and its a 3 dics set. so 90 bucks. if its anything like the last gaff card dvd, that's a lot of money for a lot of obvious ideas, and standard moves
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Wow it's 30 for each disc? I thought it was 30 for the set. Man that's crazy.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Here is the copy :

Each DVD will be $29.95 USD

it says each dvd....
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I'm just going to buy the deck and come up with stuff myself. Some of the cards actually look really useful.
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Newb2
I'm going to estimate the deck alone will cost around $30-35 dollars. For the whole package, you would be paying 20 bucks for each dvd and 30 dollars for the deck.
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
$30-$35 for cardboard? The box can't even be used for a trick!
It costs them less than a dollar to print each deck
Yea, there are heavy designing costs and it has the ellusionist, wayne houchin, and daniel garcia name on it, but it's still over priced. $20-$25 would be a reasonable price set, since we're going to have to pay $7 for shipping on top
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Newb2
I didn't say whether it was reasonable or not. I just think it's going to be the price considering what they've charged previously for their other gaff decks. At the end of the day, I don't think they'll care about what you and I think is a reasonable price. Where else are you going to get the exclusive item from?
thefliss
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of thefliss
I missed the part where it said what was on the 3 DVDs
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
394 Posts

Profile of ritty360
If I have buy three DVDs with these chuckle-heads in them to get what I need from this deck...I will just have to duck tape my head to keep it from exploding.
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Quote:
On 2008-04-11 19:17, thefliss wrote:
I missed the part where it said what was on the 3 DVDs

No you didn't, the contents aren't listed.

From looking at all the cards, one can tell what some of the routines will be like. Do I really need Garcia's and Houchin's teaching on this? I know I wouldn't, but maybe magicians not as advanced as others (and we know E has plenty of those ;-)) could use some instruction.
I'd really hoped these DVD's would be a bit cheaper, or compressed down to two or even one disc (dare I say a book?), because I know Houchin and Garcia are hilarious together.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Obviously, we'll all have to wait until the release to determine how much of a value this is. I hope the DVDs are a decent length, though. I think this trend of issuing multiple DVDs when the contents of each are under an hour is really annoying. On the one hand, you have those "Ultimate Card Secret" compilations in which six hours is packed onto one disk, and then you have some DVD sets in which the disks are as low as 30 minutes. I know, I know, it's all about the quality of the effects, but I think given that these disk are supporting a single product, it would have been nice if all of the teaching could have been placed on one DVD. All of that said, maybe there's tons of great stuff on each with very detailed teaching... I guess we'll see next week.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1078 Posts

Profile of taller8
How do people react to visible gaffed cards? Are they responding to a unique bicycle card? or is the actually effect pretty strong.

As an example:

I bought Richard Sanders King Stab where two forces cards end up on each of the swords of the King.

The card is part of the routine so it serves a purpose, as opposed to having a strange card and making up a routine around it.

If there truly are some killer routines that require a gimmicked card, then this could be a great deck, but it also could just be something magic hobbyists love to buy for a moment of eye candy.

Comments, opinions?
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1083 Posts

Profile of bekralik
[with reference to bugjack's message] Or reduce the price of each disc accordingly. Since the costs aren't really increasing in proportion to the number of discs, the profit margins must be huge. I see most of the value and demand for quality being in the deck; all the rest is just revelation.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2008-04-12 12:01, taller8 wrote:
How do people react to visible gaffed cards? Are they responding to a unique bicycle card? or is the actually effect pretty strong.

As an example:

I bought Richard Sanders King Stab where two forces cards end up on each of the swords of the King.

The card is part of the routine so it serves a purpose, as opposed to having a strange card and making up a routine around it.

If there truly are some killer routines that require a gimmicked card, then this could be a great deck, but it also could just be something magic hobbyists love to buy for a moment of eye candy.

Comments, opinions?

I'm not big on visible gaffs, frankly. I think your quote about a moment of eye candy for the hobbyists (of which I am one) is apt. I remember standing in the Magic Apple in L.A. with a deck of the Ellusionist red gaffs in my hand thinking they looked really cool but ultimately restraining myself as I knew I'd never use them.

I do like the cards with the blue smears and the ones that look like they could be misprints -- those seem like they could seem a bit more unusual without screaming "trick cards."
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Until folks receive the cards and the DVD's, we really can't know how good they are. I'm saving for Bob Kohler's releases, so I'm holding off on big purchases for awhile.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2008-04-12 12:10, bekralik wrote:
[with reference to bugjack's message] Or reduce the price of each disc accordingly. Since the costs aren't really increasing in proportion to the number of discs, the profit margins must be huge. I see most of the value and demand for quality being in the deck; all the rest is just revelation.

Well, there are certainly increased replication costs, but I agree with your fundamental point. But, assuming there is less than a full disk's worth of material on each DVD, they are adding those costs in order to sell three separate products. What I think is a little annoying is that these cards are ostensibly created to perform specific routines, but to get the benefit of the single gaff product (the deck) you have to buy three separate DVDs.

Of course, if you like these cards you could always just dream up your own routines with them, which, in the end, might be the best approach.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Yes I have a feeling the this is going to mirror the Loops DVDs.
There was about 45mins to an hour of content on each, And again, A total of three.
Unless these things have a couple hours on each DVD I really don't see the need for multiple DVDs. (Except of course the higher profit margin).
At least with the Loops DVDs there was sort of a reason what with three different magicians. But this? Its the same two guys. Unless theres a butt-load of content,
Why?

I love Danny's stuff and Wayne as well. But I think I'll pass on the DVDs.
I MIGHT pick up the deck IF it costs less than $25.00 just because I like some of the cards.

E probably thinks that at $90.00 for one DVD, No one will pick it up, And they are probably right. But if people think that they are getting three!!! That's a different story!! Interesting bit of psychological byplay. I'll give them that.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ultragaff Deck from Ellusionist (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL