The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » $100 shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
If you needed a full night of table-hopping material and had a budget of up to $100 to spend on close-up props, what would you buy for about a 3 hour evening?
danielellis_5
View Profile
Loyal user
Sheffield
211 Posts

Profile of danielellis_5
Some rope, sponge balls, four half dollars, and a deck of cards. Thinking about it, maybe two decks of cards.

Dan
Best quote from a spectator"I know how he did that,it was sleight of hand"(spectator then sits back looking pleased with himself)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
A more interesting question might be having a budget of only $5 or $10.

As for me, it would be about the same as Dan except I would add Ninja Rings and a card-to-wallet.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
As many volumes of Tarbell as I could get for a beaner.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Yeah, $100 is way too much. You can easily do it for under $20.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
A deck of cards! And when I was done with the table-hopping gig, I'd go get a really great meal somewhere.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Alright, suppose it was under $15...
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
$100 - two decks of cards, two Sharpies and dinner afterwards.
$15 (or less) - two decks of cards, two Sharpies and dinner afterwards.
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
You people seem to like cards.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

$15. That's a good round number.

$1 cards, $1 PN Ropes, $2 sponge balls, $10 rings (cheap version of Ninja), $1 Sharpie

Of course, we love cards. They are wonderful for so many things.
Every kind of magic effect can be done with cards. Vanishes, productions, transpositions, transformations, etc. The only thing missing with cards are the entertaining presentations to go with them.
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Yep, I like cards too. I use them just as much as the next person. Where can I get these $10 rings you speak of?!?!
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Would they carry them at a brick and mortar shop - the $10 ones? BTW, I already do the rings stage size. (I'm performing with them in my second stage performance tomorrow!) I'll PM you, Frank.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-04-11 16:22, KurtK wrote:
If you needed a full night of table-hopping material and had a budget of up to $100 to spend on close-up props, what would you buy for about a 3 hour evening?

I'd buy a new jacket at Walmart, a box of cards at Costco, a box of sharpies at Staples, a Thumb tip, a paper bag, a prescription bottle, and keep the other $15.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Interesting, dbaker.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-04-11 21:59, KurtK wrote:
Would they carry them at a brick and mortar shop - the $10 ones? BTW, I already do the rings stage size. (I'm performing with them in my second stage performance tomorrow!) I'll PM you, Frank.

Of course. Ask for the Ninja Rings or the cheaper Empire rings. The Empire rings are the best of the cheapos.
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Can you tell me what the difference is between the Ninja Rings and cheaper versions?

I have a cheap set (while I learn some of the moves), and to be honest, they seem fine to me - apart from the key being a little too small, which is easily sorted out. Is there a practical advantage to shelling out on better rings? Are they more or less "springy", do they last longer, make moves any easier, or what? I'm not against spending money, but there needs to be some value.

I'm not interested in gold coloured rings, btw. I believe that these tend to be plated in some way, and I guess the plating would be prone to come off on cheaper sets. Is this also the case with cheap steel-coloured rings?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
So here's the thing. I "believe" that a set of Empire Rings are exactly the same as Ninja Rings. They are made by the same people. The only difference is one says Empire on the box and one has Shoot's photo and "Ninja Rings" on the other. This is what I've been TOLD...I don't know if it's true or not.

My experience...I have broken welds on both Empire Rings and Silver Ninja Rings. I use the Gold Ninja Rings and have been using the same set now for a few years. No breaks...they are VERY STRONG. The gold color is still there, tho' I think they are just silver rings that have been dipped and you pay extra for the dipping, but these seem to me to be the strongest set of close up rings ever.

I for one enjoy spending extra money for nice props. Maybe it's a mental thing. I don't know. But people notice quality, I think. Even a laymen who's never seen a set of rings before, I think would notice a nice set of rings vs. a cheap Royal magic set.

Just my opinion...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Personally...I could do 3 hours with a deck of cards and never repeat the same trick. I'm sure many of the workers here in the forum are in the same boat that I'm in.

I think instead of wasting money and giving the "appearance" of a store bought act, you should keep it simple. Carry a deck of cards with you and maybe a few coins, a thumb tip, and let that be it! When I perform in a strolling setting, I enjoy borrowing objects from people (money, rings, etc.) and making the magic with that.

So your cost should run about $5 or less...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
$15.00, enough gas to get me to and from the gig.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-04-12 11:18, Majestic12 wrote:
$15.00, enough gas to get me to and from the gig.

Well, if you're going to include the cost of gas to get to and from the gig, there goes Kurt's $100! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » $100 shop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL