The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ricky Jay's Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
272 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
Smile great one, thanks for sharing
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I'm surprised that the videos remain up since they are from an HBO show that hasn't been released on tape or disk.

Great routine though, I've seen it before, but it never occured to me that he used a chop cup, his handling was very nice. Maybe I'll try to get a combo set when I get some "real" cups.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
That whole show is important work. I wish everybody could see it in its entirety at least once.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Bill, any information about the tin cups that are briefly displayed during that version? They look ALMOST as old as Pete.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I can't see them well enough to tell anything about them, but they don't sound like tin cups. Most tin cups don't ring at all. These sound more like brass cups, probably Brema or early Ireland cups -- probably around 1910 - 1940.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pepka: You are lucky my Dr. said "No Bowling"--- Heheheh... See you this coming week.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
A brilliant routine; thanks for the (surprising) link.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I really like the way he connects all the history of the cups into one great story.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
661 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
When was this done? What was the name of the show? and Where is the location? I know, lots of questions... but this seemed to just come out of no where Smile
-DJ
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1303 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Mid 90's
It was on HBO
Called Ricky Jay and his 52 assisitants and was his boradway one man show.
His 53rd assistant was David Roth.

It is not on video tape as of this time but several people who copied it from when it aired made a video AVI file of it and posted sections of it on the net at places like yourtube.
I have it from when it first aired on HBO. The card material is flawless, the cups routine as you can see is fantastic and the whole production is top notch.
Mobius
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pepka was KING at WMS he had the highest bowling score of anyone in the tournament and won a nice trophy.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Way to go Pepka! by the way the "train" goes out in the morning. you should get it soon
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Thanks Darth and Pete. Having a mother who owned a bowling alley when I was a kid has it's advantages. You just wait til next year Pete, our team found a CORPORATE SPONSOR! I REALLY can't wait to show you what we have in mind.

Back to Ricky's routine, I put this on my iPod for inspiration. It's always been one of my favorite pieces of magic.

Darth, I'll be sure to send you my "Thumbs Down" review when I get Train, thanks again!
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Like I said, don't get your hopes up on seeing a good movie. its like 'attack of the killer tomatoes'.its so bad its funny in some places. the only reason I had it was because david Copperfield was in it.
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Pepka, great idea. I think I might do the same. This is amazing and inspirational. I have just started on my cups and balls journey and I love to have examples to inspire me.

Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
lcombs
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lcombs
An absolutely beautiful routine. The Card Control routine is very entertaining as well.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
What I was most impressed with was the distance in time between final loads and the final revelation. That is routining!
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I also like the Sword of Vengence, yet another really simple (technically) effect that played as a miracle.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Just goes to show you, once again, that a strong presentation from an engaging personality makes the 'trick' worth it for the spectator.

I, too, am a huge fan and love his C&B routine! I wasn't a fan of the C&B until seeing his handling; influenced me to create the one that I perform.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I love Ricky Jay.

Now I love him more.

Funny thing, however, that here at the Café there are repeated threads of "Name the top five..." whatever, and Ricky rarely makes the lists. Why would that be?

I love Ricky Jay.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ricky Jay's Cups & Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL