The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » when someone asks 'do a trick' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
When someone asks you to do a trick what trick do you perform? This would have to be off the cuff with no set up.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Almost all of what I do is with coins, so I usally do a quick single-coin vanish and reproduction, or maybe a gold/silver transposition.
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
My favorite impromptu routine is the Crazy Man's Handcuffs. Packs light, and requires no set up other than pulling the bands out of your pocket.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Consider these:

1) Greg Wilson's Recap routine
2) Crazy Man's Handcuffs
3) Jay Sankey's Messiah Vanish

All are "killing" effects...!

best,
Hirase Smile
In love with magic!
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
I always have a TT with me wherever I go.
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
A "pull a card", push inside middle, showing top card and asking if it is hers/his and then magically change it to the correct one.

Smile
Jonatan Bank
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
I also cary my TT every where I go

Niels
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
"Two in the hand, One in the Pocket" with quarters,

"Crazy Mans Handcuffs" with rubber bands

"Rolled dollar bill transposition" You can borrow everything you need for this one.

Enjoy!
Magic is fun!!!
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
-Anything off of Gregory Wilson's "On the Spot Tapes" (except his key routine, I just don't like it)

-Simple coin flurry

-Vanish and reappear any small object (folded dollar, ring etc...)
cegarcia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cegarcia
Impromptu no gimick pen thru dollar always gets them!
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
As you learn more about magic you will find it possible to perform effects impromptu. For now, take a tt with you all the time, or put a packet trick in your wallet.

Magicians should always be prepared Smile
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I ALWAYS carry at least a deck of cards on me at all times, and in my wallet I carry a few half dollars and a coin bite, and I wrapped some IT around my library card.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I have never recommended any of my own products attempting to keep my submissions to this forum off the 'commercial'. But, this I think is appropriate. I almost never carry magic with me. At anyone time taking advantage of the items that I can borrow, etc. I can do a pretty easy hour of magic if I was so disposed. That said, I am now actually carrying a new item that we have recently started marketing for the simple reason that it fits easily in my wallet, is instantly reset, is easy to do and just knocks the socks off of non-magicians and magicians alike. It is called the Wonderland Dollar and was invented by my friend Nick Brown. You can take a peak at:

http://www.nexternal.com/bburt/?Target=p......owID=346

I have had more fun with this thing than anything since the Mullica Videos on Impromptu Magic.

Best,
Brad Burt
Brad Burt
King7
View Profile
New user
Dallas Texas
1 Post

Profile of King7
I am new here as you can see, just going to jump in if that is ok. Smile I keep the effect
"Slow Burn" in my wallet. Since it's bills I just keep it at one end of my wallet and pull out some good money magic when someone asks me.

Take Care
Jon
mentalism101
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
105 Posts

Profile of mentalism101
Any trick with items that you would normally be carrying if you weren't a magician seems like a great trick to laymen.

Paper money, coins, penknife, watch, finger rings etc.

Once you start pulling out cards, rope and props then it's obvious that you are only carrying them to do a trick. Not so good.

It's also cool to learn a little bit of Body Magic (do a search) so that you can perfrom something with NO props.

Brad,

Is the 'Wonderland Dollar' different in any way to Bob Neale's Trapdoor (Weber also had a presentation for it in Lifesavers, 'A Better Mousetrap') or is it the same topological effect and method just made up with a dollar bill?

I love the original and use it all the time, so if there is some new work on it I'm very interested.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Brad Burt writes: "It is called the Wonderland Dollar and was invented by my friend Nick Brown."

Well, not quite.

Full marks to Nick Brown for his current use of the principle.

But the principle is an old one.

It is generally attributed to Bob Neale, back in 1983, but Terri Rogers and others have used the concept.

In fact, my own version -- Through the Looking Glass -- appeared in my Showtime column the Linking Ring magazine in 1991.

Having had a bit of an argument over this with another poster at the Electronic Grymoire digest (which led to my leaving the digest), I wrote Nick Brown, who said:

"I fully agree with you
that the trapdoor principle has been used in different ways by different
imaginative magicians, and that the credit-chain begins with Bob Neale
(with credit for the folding/creasing improvement probably going to David
Britland, unless you know of an earlier source)."

BTW, anyone interested in my Showtime article can e-mail me and I'll be happy to e-mail the routine back to you.
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
I usually do a card trick, such as Dai Vernon's Out of Mind Trick (great trick!) because I have a deck of cards with me most of the time. I also have some gimmicked bills and coins in my wallet. I also have the MagiCard in my wallet although it's more of a gag than a trick. Smile
1magicshop
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of 1magicshop
I do Kolossal Killer.
Great Prices, Great Magic
http://www.1magicshop.com
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Heavens to Mercitroids
I always like to do a money morph
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
One of my favorites is called "Ear it is" (I think it is a Mac King effect). I say that I WOULD make a coin disappear, but I need a wand. I borrow a pen or pencil to use as a wand. I borrow a quarter. I show the quarter and tap it three times with the borrowed pencil and the pencil disappears. I turn slightly and they see the pencil behind my ear -- a little joke. I remove the pencil, tap my hand three times again and the quarter has disappeared. I have to give them my own money to replace the quarter.

0pus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » when someone asks 'do a trick' (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL