The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Street Fair Evangelism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2695 Posts

Profile of John Long
I intend to attend a street fair with my church - they will have a booth set up to hand out tracks.

Last year I joined my church, and found that standing in the walkway with a ~2ft hundred dollar bill was reasonably good at getting people's attention. If they stopped, I did a Wonderland effect with the bill, and talked about how some people try to hold onto their money, but quote from Mt 6 about how fleeting it really is. A few were open to talking more.

I would like to try something else. Does anyone have some suggestions for getting people's attention in this setting?

Thanks;
John
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
You could use Richard Sanders' 'Extreme Burn' with the same idea of holding onto money and it turns into just paper cuttings (or paper cuttings to money).

Or how about doing a coin trick with the 10 Commandment coins found at http://www.livingwaters.com/Merchant2/me......TM-TRACT You get 50 coins for $8. Such a deal!
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I have been thinking about doing this for awhile. I would actually like to busk with the intent of preaching the gospel at the end. I've been looking at a lot of different tricks and have come up with a few that I think will draw a crowd. You may want to take a look at the Sidewalk Shuffle section of the Café.

I hope to get everything together soon. We have a lot of fairs and festivals nearby and I would love to start going out and doing this as often as possible.

I think that rope tricks (Richard Sander's Fiber Optics) work really well and are visible. The key is to find something that people are going to see and to use noise, color, and motion to get their attention and draw them in...

I don't know if I helped but...Smile
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
A straitjacket is great for getting people's attention. And they won't leave until they see you escape. So you can deliver your message before you escape and they will stick around for it.

Just my observations...
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
They would be waiting all day for me to get out of the thing...I could preach a lot...lol
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I have seen videos of some buskers and that's all they do is the straitjacket escape. It goes for like 10 or 20 minutes. Of course there's humor and stuff...but it's definitely possible. I don't think that I could do that...lol
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
This year I joined our churches out reach Fishers of Men..
Guess I will have to send my jacket to the cleaners.

The chains of sin are sometimes to soft to be felt, till they are too hard to be broken. (Actually the above quote was heard about addiction..which is of course trying to fill up a God Sized hole with things like alcohol and other drugs, gambling.....

Haven't used my strait jacket in a while ..Thanks for the reminder...

I have an upcoming event in an urban area...While getting one hand free out will come my harmonica and play songs such as Amazing Grace, testimony..He's got the whole world..testimony...etc...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2695 Posts

Profile of John Long
Joe:
I have the coins (which is also where I got the oversize $100), very good prices!
Yet I'm not sure the coins would catch peoples attention as they walk by (the $100 does get their attention, but I want to try something else).

Where can I find extreme burn? is there a video of it?

MarD: "I think that rope tricks (Richard Sander's Fiber Optics) work really well and are visible." That may be something I should try (but that is one rope effect I do not have, but I've considered doing some ring off rope effects with my own "spectator"

Terry: "They would be waiting all day for me to get out of the thing...I could preach a lot...lol" ditto.
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Joe,

Here's an idea I was going to save until I could get out and do it but I would love to know how well it goes too...Smile

Get some of the new Mind Game tracks from http://www.livingwaters.com. They are basically the princess card trick. Then, when you do your show, offer anyone who stays for the whole thing the opportunity to learn a magic trick. After the show (and the gospel! Smile), hand out the Mind Game tracts and show the kids/adults how they work and have them read them. Then, you can encourage them to show the trick (and the tract!) to their friends and family. I would think that this coupled with the draw of a magic show would be an awesome opportunity all the way around...Smile

If you aren't interested in Fiber Optics, you may also want to look at Brother Paul's Rope Trick (www.brotherpaulmagic.com). It was made for street performances and lasts about 5 min. or so...

Mike
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi Mike, that's a really great suggestion for the Mind Game tracts sold in packages of 100 for only $7 US at http://www.livingwaters.com/Merchant2/me......eltracts ! Did I just do a commercial? Anyway, good thinking. I'll have to order some and pass them out at our next FCM monthly meeting. We have a 'teach a trick' time each meeting and this would be a good one! Thanks for sharing.

John: You can get Extreme Burn along with Fiber Optics Extended at Richard Sander's site http://www.sandersfx.com . Watch the trailer on his website. It looks exactly like that. There are no camera tricks in the trailer. Looks like real magic. Just too cool.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I have Fiber Optics Extended and do parts of the routine...like Joe said, looks like real magic.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Yeah, what Terry said!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2695 Posts

Profile of John Long
Will FO attract peoples attention that are otherwise just walking by?
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I would think that it would. Especially if you're making noise or talking to attract their attention. You could do it silent too, but if you can catch their eyes or ears and get them to look at you for a sec while you do part of the routine, you'll hook em...Smile
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
When you're pulling ends off of ropes and putting middles back in, you just keep doing the routine, it will stop a crowd...imho
Bendy
View Profile
Elite user
Winter Garden, Florida
491 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2008-04-14 08:03, Terry Owens wrote:
They would be waiting all day for me to get out of the thing...I could preach a lot...lol

As I was thinking what a good idea the straight jacket idea was, I ran across this post. And I laughed out loud. Thanks for the smile.

...And I'm with you, there. I'm a little clausterphobic, (was that spelled right?); so getting me into one of those things willingly would be quite a trick in and of itself!
Bendy
View Profile
Elite user
Winter Garden, Florida
491 Posts

Profile of Bendy
John: I'm assuming you get the large bill tracts and coins from Living Waters, (aka, Way of the Master). They also have a "Curved Illusion" tract. And they have a newer one called, "Mind Game." Both are great to give out during a magic performance. Regarding the Curved Illusion tract: Have those ready to hand out. There is a trick on the market called "Baffling Boomerangs"; which is the same illusion as the tract, only with wooden curved pieces measuring about 15 inches long. You could ask which is bigger and get some comments. One of the "boomerangs" actually ends up smaller if you'd like. You can then offer to give a "pocket" or "paper" version of that trick to those who you have interacted with or who witnessed you performing the illusion; handing them the Gospel tracts.

...Not as strong of a crowd drawing device as a straight jacket; but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you could use it.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2695 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ok, I went an ordered FO extended.

Bendy, yes the large $100's came from Living Waters (it does get peoples attention), and when I do, I do a Wonderland effect with the theme of Mt 6

I'm about to order the Mind Game and other tracts from them; I'll give a second look at the curved illusion. I'm not sure how that would get their attention though.

Yet, I will try something, a few things hopefully.

John
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
Quote:
I'll give a second look at the curved illusion. I'm not sure how that would get their attention though.

Make a giant set, and then stop a few people and show them. A crowd draws a crowd. Then hand out the smaller tract versions. I've used this formula at least 500 times and it ALWAYS draws a crowd and gets the gospel in their hands.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2695 Posts

Profile of John Long
Well I bought a bunch of tracks from Living waters, but not the curved illusion. Frankly, it just seems that people have already seen that.

I would still like to hear other ideas on attracting peoples attention.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Street Fair Evangelism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL