The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell Makers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I just purchased some 1921 Liberty Silver Dollars. I need a shell. Anyone out there know of where I can go? Please point me in the right direction...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Do you mean Peace dollars? Or Morgan Dollars?

Here's a Morgan
http://www.goldfingercoin.com/catalog_si......llar.jpg

Here's a Peace
http://www.goldfingercoin.com/catalog_si......llar.jpg

...or is it none of those?

Anyway, I guess I need to PM you
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I emailed you just to be safe.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I'm in more or less the same situation. Have bought many Barber Half coins off eBay and I'm looking for a shell. My impression so far is that you cannot simply get one for these old silver coins as the silver is so soft and prone to wear that all the coins will be a bit different.

So, if you get a shell then maybe you need to get matching coins to go with it. Coins that have been selected to go with it. Which of course means more expenses.

BTW I didn't get why someone would be in danger of being banned for answering this question?
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
If you want someone to take your coins and make an expanded shell out of one, probably both of them can do it. Their expanded shells are similar in quality. I believe the composition of the silver in Peace Dollars makes them more difficult to work with. I've seen some beautiful peace dollar shells by Todd, so he may be better with a bit more experience for those.

The only problem with sending in your own coins is that sometimes the older coins don't match up exactly (which is not the easiest thing to tell just looking at them). that's why its beneficial to let them match up the sets for you. I don't have a big schoolcraft collection (as I do with lassen stuff), but I know Todd does a great job matching the coins.

I should add (as I have in other posts) that I think the Lassen stuff is pretty much perfect. I have never had a complaint. Many people say that about Jamie's stuff - I know he has some serious admirers. But, I have seen some inferior Schoolcraft stuff and heard a number of complaints. Usually the complaints about Todd focus on how tough it is to get a hold of him and how it all takes forever.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I'm glad that there are threads in these forums that offer negative user experiences as well as positive ones. It's no fun to buy something less impressive that everyone seemed to be raving about.

Anyway, I'm sure both of these particular craftsmen are more than good enough for me. Now if I can only find a way of justifying the expense to myself...
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell Makers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL