The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Geoff Weber's "Poor Man's CTW" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Geoff Weber will finally be releasing his Card Through Window. He's calling it the "Poor Man's card through window" This is the teaser video for it: http://www.outofthehatmagic.com/pmctw.htm

I honestly do not know much about it at this point, other than the fact that the name is in reference to the affordability of the effect. I guess it's an economic take on the plot.

I do know though, that this is something Geoff has been working for about 5 years, and that he is a guy that does put a lot of thought into his magic.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Will it be a DVD or just a gimmick?
P3
practice practice perform.
Ben Morris-Rains
View Profile
Regular user
Larkspur, Colorado
111 Posts

Profile of Ben Morris-Rains
Hi,
I'm Ben Morris-Rains and I own Out Of The Hat Magic.

I have been using Geoff's card through window for some time and have been working on it and tweaking things along the way.

It is going to be a PDF with clear photos and descriptions, as well as many new takes on the object through window plot and even a couple of new effects all together.

It is the most economical and visual version I have ever seen.

Keep an eye out for it.
PUNCTURE: Pen Through Bill
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
It looks pretty good except for the tape. I would love to know how long the set up takes, how portable it is, difficulty of construction, etc.

Evikshin
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I'm sure Geoff will chime in eventually, maybe once it's officially available, and give any details he can.

Like I said - I really have no other knowledge of this, other than what we all see in the trailer. But I have known Geoff for quite a few years now, and I know he does not want to release something, just for the sake of having a product out there.

I'm personally intersted in seeing some new objects thru window, other than cards - which I believe was hinted at with this release.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Cant wait. When is the release? I cant get the Demo/Teaser to play Government. Is it on youtube?
Ben Morris-Rains
View Profile
Regular user
Larkspur, Colorado
111 Posts

It's on daily motion. If you'd like I could email you the teaser.

Peace,
Ben
Ben Morris-Rains
View Profile
Regular user
Larkspur, Colorado
111 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-04-14 22:53, evikshin wrote:
It looks pretty good except for the tape. I would love to know how long the set up takes, how portable it is, difficulty of construction, etc.

Evikshin

As far as difficulty, it is very easy to do and set up. Of course there is a set up like most card through windows but it shouldn't take more than a minute at most and set up time will quicken as you get more familer with the effect.

The tape is not completly crucial. I actually like the tape because it gives the spectators something to focus on. Also in real performances spectators usually think the card is just behind the tape, then they find it completely behind the window.

Construction is something I will not divulge into too much at this point, but let me just say there really is none. It is extreemly minimal.

that's all I'm going to get into right now. I'll let Geoff chime in with more info if he would like.

P.S.: Yes, there will be many other ideas explored in this manuscript other than just cards through window.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Some of you are probably thinking, do we really need another card through window? I have a pretty good, workable, new method; but that by itself was not enough reason to publish it. I had a discussion with Ray Kosby, and he encouraged me to try to find a new approach for the plot as well. We have been exploring some exciting new directions that I hope will really inspire some creativity among magicians, and that specifically, is what I think most people will find valuable in this project.

As for specific questions regarding the practicality and the performing conditions of this effect. I'd say practicality is matter of opinion. Card through window has always been a situational effect, and is unlikely to ever find a spot in your birthday party show, but its great at creating that "moment of astonishment" as Paul Harris likes to say. One advantage of this method is that you'll be able to immediately go and try it out after reading the manuscript. No shopping trips to the hardware store are required.

You can perform this on just about any window, in broad daylight, with only a minimal ammount of setup required. The taped "X" on the window is just one way to present it, (you explain its a "target".) I just recorded a clip yesterday with no tape on the window. We've been emphasizing the Taped X in our graphics and promos, because it helps visually distinguish this version from other CTW effects on the market.
Marc Woods
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
147 Posts

Profile of Marc Woods
Do you have any idea Geoff when you'll release your version of the Card Through Window.

And is it possible to give an indiction for the costs of this effect?

I'd be very happy with the information, because the promo looks good to me.

Regards,
Marc Woods...
MiNDHACKER / goochelaar
https://www.marcwoods.nl
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Very soon and very cheap Smile
Marc Woods
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
147 Posts

Profile of Marc Woods
Smile OK, that's clear!

I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks very much.
MiNDHACKER / goochelaar
https://www.marcwoods.nl
Ben Morris-Rains
View Profile
Regular user
Larkspur, Colorado
111 Posts

evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-04-15 02:26, closeupinventor wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-14 22:53, evikshin wrote:

Evikshin

As far as difficulty, it is very easy to do and set up. Of course there is a set up like most card through windows but it shouldn't take more than a minute at most and set up time will quicken as you get more familer with the effect.

The tape is not completly crucial. I actually like the tape because it gives the spectators something to focus on. Also in real performances spectators usually think the card is just behind the tape, then they find it completely behind the window.

Construction is something I will not divulge into too much at this point, but let me just say there really is none. It is extreemly minimal.

that's all I'm going to get into right now. I'll let Geoff chime in with more info if he would like.

P.S.: Yes, there will be many other ideas explored in this manuscript other than just cards through window.

Thanks for your reply. I will be keeping my eye on this one. Mac has also released a very good CTW that is cheap, easy to build and visual called Axcess Card Through Window. If yours uses a different method, I may have to pick this one up as well, since differing methods probably work best in differing situations.
Ben Morris-Rains
View Profile
Regular user
Larkspur, Colorado
111 Posts

I am about 99 percent sure the methods differ. You don't need to make any trips to the hardware store for Poor Mans.

And I agree, knowing different methods is always a good thing. I have seen the video for Axcess and it looks very good.

Ours however will be less expensive and takes less prep time.

Thanks for the comments.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Just to clarify: axcess requires somethng 99.9% of people have lying around.the hardware is a last resort.the gimmick takes a 3 minutes to built. and now back to what this thread is about, Poor mans CTW.
Ben Morris-Rains
View Profile
Regular user
Larkspur, Colorado
111 Posts

Mac, like I said before, axcess looks great. It kind of sucks on the timing of the releases, but a lot of good things come in pairs, shoes for instance. And Socks. And Twins!(Yeah, just referenced a Coors light commercial) Anyways, I think each one will have it's pros and cons and hopefully invoke some creativity from those who purchase them.

Peace,
Ben
http://www.outofthehatmagic.com/pmctw.htm
altrez
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
218 Posts

Profile of altrez
How much longer before we get to buy this effect? It looks great!

-Altrez
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I love the kids reaction in the demo.

Just listen carefully.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1140 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 07:12, Geoff Weber wrote:
Very soon and very cheap Smile

Hey, Geoff, what about a countdown to celebrate the launch of this product? Smile

(1)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Geoff Weber's "Poor Man's CTW" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL