The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table Hopping - A Few Quick Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
306 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I"m going to be doing some table magic at a local restaurant and, while I have my routine down, I have 3 quick questions... I'm thinking of opening with a flash paper production of sponge bunnies, or closing with a flash paper production of a foil wrapped chocolate coin (and saying something like, "Thank You and dessert is on me," and leaving the chocolate coin of course.) What do you think? And.....

Do you prefer Brainwave/Invisible Deck or Phil Goldstein's B'wave for walkaround?

Thanks
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
Obsidian52,

For the first question, I would say fire effects have been discussed over and over on the Café, but the first thing to establish is whether or not the restaurant
allows flash paper. I've found a couple of places don't, and that will quickly clean that up for you. Plus, a lot of magicians will say that they do not use flash products for safety purposes. I do, and am biased of course, but make sure everything is completely safe. The amount I use is a very small amount and very few times during a walkaround environment.

Secondly, I wouldn't produce a chocolate coin; not my style, as I can't see this being very nice for a spectator. But each to there own, of course. And if it's something that has worked well for you, then ignore me. Secondly, I have removed the Invisible Deck from my routine, as I only used to use it as an out, but I have found a way to use my cards that I have in play as an out. If it's going to be used as a stand-alone effect, then I could not comment on Brainwave Deck, but I like the Invisible Deck the most.

luke

You say that your routine is down, but I was wondering how much you have in you arsenal, i.e. do you have loads of effects, or very few, or something in between? I'm nosy, I know.

Good luck. Hope I've helped.
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
P.S. There is a wealth of knowledge on this website, and anyone will tell you that what I am saying has only been repeated before of course.

luke
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Here is an item you may wish to hook onto your belt...just in case. LOL

http://www.geekalerts.com/pinqy-mini-fire-extinguisher/
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quick answer on your last question:
Invisible Deck for tables of 4 or more, B-wave for couples and trios. Overall, the Invisible Deck has a much bigger impact. Chances are 1 in 52, as opposed to 1 in 4! Both are great closers, as it is hard to top them.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
PaleoMagi,

That's brilliant. I actually fancy buying that. It would be good as a bit of a comedy bit, but in all seriousness, it could save lives... I'm such a geek.

luke
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
306 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
To daviaac (or is it Luke?),

I only (hmmm) carry about 10-12 effects with me (have many more at home....haven't we all), so I can change the effects going from table to table, or even back to the same table if they request...

I'll have to double check at the restaurant as to use of the flash paper. I had only intended to use a piece about an inch wide and maybe 2-3 inches in length... I'm sure the pingy would get a laugh, but if it's crossing the line and THAT risky, I won't use it.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I only use flash paper "In a Flash", but for other purposes, I never use it... Try, maybe you'll get a great reaction! But make sure that the manager of the restaurant and personnel know it. As a very funny experience...in my early times on table hopping and close up, I do the fire wallet. Someone at the bar saw the flames and notified to the manager of a fire at one table (the person didn't know about my fire trick) and was very uncomfortable at this time...but now I'm thinking of it...and it is SO funny.
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2008-04-15 20:19, obsidian52 wrote:
To daviaac (or is it Luke?),

I only (hmmm) carry about 10-12 effects with me (have many more at home....haven't we all), so I can change the effects going from table to table, or even back to the same table if they request...

You carry 10-12 effects with you? That's way too many. Learn to do MORE with LESS. Here's what was in my pockets tonight during a 3 hour strolling gig: 1 deck of cards, 1 deck of double blank cards for a special routine, coin purse with half dollars and Chinese coins, rubber band on my wrist and wand in my breast pocket. I can go for hours on that and what I pick up off the table or borrow from spectators.

In regards to the first question, I would use neither. EVERYTHING in my table-hopping act can be examined, and often is; just personal preference.

In regards to the post about flash paper safety, Luke is dead on. Not only should you find out if the restaurant allows it, but you should look into proper fire safety laws. Do you have insurance to cover you in case of an accident? These are things to consider.

I've NEVER cared for flash paper openings for strolling. In my opinion, this is a crutch for lack of a personality. I perform 3-4 nights a week for the last 7 years. My opening has always been, "Good evening."
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
If you use the routine, I would say something like, "The after dinner mint is on me." "The desert is on me" may be misunderstood. As long as you're paying, I would say "thank you" and order from the menu.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 00:39, pepka wrote:
You carry 10-12 effects with you? That's way too many. Learn to do MORE with LESS. Here's what was in my pockets tonight during a 3 hour strolling gig: 1 deck of cards, 1 deck of double blank cards for a special routine, coin purse with half dollars and Chinese coins, rubber band on my wrist and wand in my breast pocket. I can go for hours on that and what I pick up off the table or borrow from spectators.

I presume you do a few card tricks over those hours?

My own personal preference is to do a maximum of ONE card trick during a performance (and that is rare). I carry a few more objects. I think card magic is mostly boring. Oh, yeah, the specs may say they loved the magic and seemed interested, but they are mostly being polite.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Hi Pepka,
I don't think carrying 10-12 effects with you is too much. That's about what I carry. I believe it depends on the type of gig it is. Performing at a 3 hour gig for 200 people...I agree that you will repeat many of the same effects and could pack very light.

I've been booked for private shows in someone's home for 1 hour + to do walk around on 3 floors of the home for 60 people. When I arrived at the gig, I was told to go down the basement where I found 12 people...they shouted, "Yay...the magician is here!" I had to go back to my car, get my case, and reload my pockets. It basically turned into a formal close-up/stand-up show. I performed for about 1 hour and 15 minutes without repeating an effect. The biggest thing was structuring this show on the fly without a having too much "filler" stuff and ending strong.

I must also say that my show is not very card heavy. I performed a formal close-up show for 35 people last week (I don't do many of these) and only did 4 card tricks in 45 minutes. I guess if you know a zillion card tricks you could go on forever...it's just not my style.

That's what's great about magic. The more you perform, you'll find out what works for you on an individual basis. I think it's better to be prepared for any situation that may come up. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm one of the guys that packs a little heavier than most.

Rich B.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 06:55, meyegr wrote:
I presume you do a few card tricks over those hours?

My own personal preference is to do a maximum of ONE card trick during a performance (and that is rare). I carry a few more objects. I think card magic is mostly boring. Oh, yeah, the specs may say they loved the magic and seemed interested, but they are mostly being polite.

I merely meant that you can do more with less. I will perform usually 3-4 tricks in a set at a table, 2 of them being card tricks. But only one is a pick a card trick. The other might be a torn and restored, a story trick, an oil and water, or something else.

Don't say that spectators are just being nice. That's probably the same for other magicians who feature cards; Bill Malone, Darwin Ortiz, Ricky Jay. All the thousands of spectators who have paid them were probably being nice, too; same goes for their TV specials. I'm not claiming to be in their league; I personally think sponge balls are boring and pointless. They squish up, and you can't tell whether you have 1 or 2 in your hand. Yet thousands of magicians feature them every night, and they go over well. Why? Because it's not about the trick, it's about your personality.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
306 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
As for the 10-12 tricks that I carry (and they include cards, packet tricks, coins, dollars, and rope), I certainly don't perform them all for the same table...but I do use them to have a slightly (or is it completely) different act if I happen to be doing magic at the table right next to theirs.... It saves me the trouble if they are looking over their shoulders in an attempt to see how it's done, OR I can hear it now..."He didn't do that one for us"...
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
895 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:

I disagree with that totally......they can be very boring in the hands of a sloppy bungler, but in the hands of someone who tries VERY hard to make their sleights invisible and their presentations sparkle (I know someone like that....), they can be lethal...you can't fake genuine reactions. I don't think sweeping generalisations, such as "card magic is mostly boring", are wise myself. But, each to there own....Success is just a matter of luck. Ask any failure.
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
magicsantana
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magicsantana
The one thing that you need to know is how to play off people. Pack heavy or light, but get them going, make them lol. If you have a contagious laugh, it's the greatest trick you can bring. There have been guys that built there lives on 45min. with 5 tricks.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2008-04-15 16:52, obsidian52 wrote:
I"m going to be doing some table magic at a local restaurant and, while I have my routine down, I have 3 quick questions... I'm thinking of opening with a flash paper production of sponge bunnies, or closing with a flash paper production of a foil wrapped chocolate coin (and saying something like, "Thank You and dessert is on me," and leaving the chocolate coin of course.) What do you think? And.....

Do you prefer Brainwave/Invisible Deck or Phil Goldstein's B'wave for walkaround?

Thanks

Flash paper is expensive, dangerous, something extra to carry, and a cheap reaction getter. I would suggest leaving it out completely. There is no talent involved to lighting a piece of flash paper. You want your audience to react to your skill and the illusion you create in your magic, not simply because something bright flashed in their eyes.

Handing out a food product to your customers is also not a good idea. Besides having to carry around a bunch of chocolate coins all night, you don't ever want to get blamed for making some one sick from a medical reaction or bad chocolate. Easier to avoid that all together and leave it out.

People are much more impressed with skill than props.

I would go for B'wave, just because it's easier to carry.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
306 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Thanks for all of your replies to my posting...and without meaning to disrespect anyone, the reply by kammagic truly spoke to me....flash paper being a cheap reaction getter. I would rather have them react to my personality and magic rather than flash paper, and to avoid problems with handing out chocolate....

Skill rather than props are much more impressive....

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table Hopping - A Few Quick Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL