The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Close-up/strolling magic for a one-handed magi (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

qwism
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of qwism
Can you point me to any magic ideas or routines/tricks that are possible only using one hand? Primarily close-up/stand-up situation, though I wouldn't dismiss needing a small performing surface. I'll take any help I can get.

I've broken my arm + wrist, and the healing will take about 12 weeks...and there's rehab after.

I already practice palm reading, and I have Rene Levand's material. The only thing is his material is going to take a lot more than 12 weeks to get down in a short time, and his material requires a table most of the time. Though, I will definitely be practicing his card control and Triumph...and his deals. Anyhow, digressing.

I'd just like to be able to do something if my magic performing is brought up, and I really hate using my broken arm as an excuse for not being able to do anything.

Thanks.
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

Rene Levand's material is HARD. It's beautiful magic that's well worth learning, but in the short term, here are a few places to start:

Can you do a one-handed cut or shuffle? Turning a triple cut into a quadruple cut makes it blind. If you can do a one-handed shuffle, work on maintaining top or bottom stock.

The "ultra-move" is a good one-handed replacement for the double lift. Harry Lorayne published it somewhere, but it was previously published in Buckley's Card Control under the trick "Mass Hypnosis" (the best value-for-money card book, IMHO). The ultra-move can also be used as a one-handed card control.

Do you have a topit, Norm Nielsen Necktie Servant, or body servante? Ditching becomes very important in some routines.

Is there any utility purpose your cast can use? (Who was the guy who would ditch/produce using a hollowed out wooden leg?)

As far as one-hand-able tricks, off the top of my head consider Lethal Tender, Scotch and Soda, sponge balls, etc.

There is a whole section of one-handed card magic in Expert Card Technique.

I could probably think of more if you want...let me know.

Good luck, man!
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
No magic to offer -- just passing along some encouragement and a bit of admiration for your determination and positive attitude. Smile
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...as one who has had broken arms in the past, I know what you're going through. Keep up the positive attitude, and you'll be over it before you realize.

As for tricks, how about mentalism, as you mention? Check out some Richard Osterlind stuff. It kills. Pocket trick? How about the "hot rod?" It's a favorite of mine. Force a card previously set up in the deck (cut deeper or criss-cross force) and reveal it on your cast. Try your hand at a magic square. There are a LOT of options for you to continue having fun and entertaining others.

Remember that even though you have a broken arm, you still have the use of your fingers. Put them to use!

Good luck. Mark.
qwism
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of qwism
I really like the card force idea, as it's something that seems so readily available.

I am able to do a one-handed shuffle and numerous cuts that I've tried transferring over to my right hand now. I think my learning curve is helped by knowing how to do the sleights left-handed, but just the whole being uncoordinated deal with the right is killing me.

I've been going through the etc. material and will work some controls. The ultra move combined with a shuffle + top palm came to mind when mentioned. Thanks a lot.

I also thought about the doing the ring routine, and sponge balls + bunnies, but my fingers not being able to close fully is ruining the illusion at the moment.
And I will definitely check out the Osterlind material.

And thank you for your unsolicited encouragement.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
You might be able to pull some ideas from Wayne Dobson. Wayne does amazing magic and is handicapped. He has a book out called WD40, as well as many videos.

Keep in mind that his earlier stuff will be before his condition set in, so it may not be as streamlined.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Hugard and Braue

"Expert Card Technique"
Chapter Five
One-handed Card Tricks
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Well, are you going to be working at a table because then that will make D.L.'s a whole lot easier and, depending on audience, I would even do a one-handed "Slop Shuffle" Triumph routine. And the slop shuffle in general is good. I would also use a Short Card if I was at a table. It would make card location a whole lot easier. You shouldn't be too bad, man. This might be a good thing, it will improve your dexterity with both hands. Smile
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
If you can use your cast to reveal a prediction, that would be cool. And PM me for a one-handed riffle force. Smile
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
qwism
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of qwism
I'm getting a lot of mileage with the Svengali deck at the moment.
The material in ECT in the one-handed section involves a lot of putting the cards behind your back, and I've never really liked doing that in my regular work. Especially, with my right hand being the "weaker" hand. Dropping cards behind my back would be really awkward, and it just doesn't look right.

The short card is my savior, though.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
One of the beauties of magic, and a benefit of your current injury, is learning to be ambidextrous. How about that for advancing ones skill?

Mark. Smile
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
Sorry to hear about that. All you should do, and the best thing to do, is to just practise normal effects with one hand, but you might want to stay away from coin tricks.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I didn't read everyone's thoughts, so this may have been said...but can you utilize your injury to your advantage? Write a prediction on your cast and do the cross over force or the cut deeper force, etc.? Just an idea...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
247 Posts

Profile of gocall911
Check out Jason Dean's one-handed card trick. It is fantastic, and I use it all the time.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Get a dupe in there, force selection, vanish card via some magi's wax or double-sided tape. Get a sudden itch in your arm, and use your ever present piece of clothes hanger or knitting needle to perform a card stab inside your cast. Remove. Act surprised.

Start thinking about what you are going to reveal inside your cast the day you take it off. (Take it off yourself.)

Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Problema Dice
Coin Unique
One-handed knot-tying
MacDonald's Ace trick was named after a guy that did it one-handed...

Plenty of Howard Adams effects, where the spectator simply follows your directions.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Close-up/strolling magic for a one-handed magi (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL