The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Art of Astonishment - which effects in it are best for table hopping? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Which effects from Paul Harris's master piece "The Art of Astonishment" do you think are best for table hoppers?

Thank you in advance,

Smile
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-03-18 06:45, phonic69 wrote:
Which effects from Paul Harris's master piece "The Art of Astonishment" do you think are best for table hoppers?

Thank you in advance,

Smile

Saxon,

I don't have AofA but I have a number of the original Paul Harris books. I understand that his AofA series combines most of the effects that were in his early books and adds additional material.

One of the effects that I have always liked is a routine called "Peeler". It is in his original "Close-up Entertainer" book. It is quick and easy to do and has a lot of comedy and astonishment attached to it.

EFFECT:

The performer announces that he is going to mark your card with his fingernail so that he'll be able to find it no matter where in the deck it is placed. He then proceeds to take his fingernail and apparently rips about a 1" strip off the back of the card so that the ripped piece is seen to actually curl up off the back of the card as it is shown to the audience members. Claiming (words to the effect): "OOPS!, I scratched too hard. Let me see if I can make this less noticeable", the magician then "repairs" the card under the noses of the audience and then passes out the card for examination, claiming: "There! That's much better and harder to notice the mark". He then spins the card to the table (or just hands it out for examination). Of course, the card is completely restored.

Great magic--and easy to do.

This routine is a "stand alone". However, you can easily incorporate it into another routine. For example: You can do this effect at the beginning of your routine (such as an ambitious card routine--as you explain how you will always be able to "find their card") or at the end of the routine (explaining that you were always able to find their card because you marked it prior to "finding their card", and, at that point you merely take out any card from the deck and go into the routine.

"Peeler" is quick, can be done in the hands, uses one card only and is very magical and allows great by-play with the audience. And, since it is Paul Harris, it is "Weird Otis" all the way. OH! And did I mention that it is easy to do?

Hope this helps.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Although I don't perform the effect myself, 'Re-Set' would be suitable for table to table magic.

I also like the vanishing deck in volume 1, it blew me away the first time I saw it performed.

A switch would need to be done, but it wouldn't be difficult. Just place the deck in your pocket, do a coin routine then as an afterthought say 'Oh I have one more for you' then bring out the gimmicked card.

Just a suggestion...
-Kevin-
BarryRice
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
88 Posts

Profile of BarryRice
Peeler, by the way, is in volume 2.
"The magic of the tongue is the most dangerous of all spells."
-Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton

http://www.amazingbarry.com
ledzepp1918
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of ledzepp1918
I heard someone mention, in another forum, that flapjacks could be used for table-hopping:
Something on the lines of "Did you know that I am also a chef at this restaurant? My specialty is flapjacks." Then you can go into the routine and end up with the four "flapjacks"

I like the idea. Too bad I don't do alot of restaurant work.

Lake
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Yeah, I saw that too, it looked like it had potential, the only thing that worried me was the amount of time it would take to set-up the cards but it could be worked around!

Smile
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
I use Reset, Sidewinder, Bizzare Twist and a bent Penny trick. Smile
Mark Butcher
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, NY
116 Posts

Profile of Mark Butcher
Solid Deception is a great way to end your card set.

-Mark
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Is Cros Twist the same as Bizarre Twist?

Ivan

PS: What are flapjacks?? Smile Smile
Yours,

Ivan
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
What do you guys think about the classic eleven card trick? I love it!
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
DADE
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland/Highlands.
166 Posts

Profile of DADE
I just got my three volumes about a week ago. Man, they are "jam-packed"with stuff! But for table-hopping. I would have to say: "Reset",which I love,"Galaxy","Un-shuffeling Rebecca",and "Backlash", which I do all the time!.

All the best
Dade, Smile
Only when you've lost everything,are you free to do anything
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Bizzare twist is Cros Twist performed one handed. I wish I could use this handling, but I cant ever get the cards to end up at right angles to each other during the waving motion. To me the Cross twist revelation looks "suspicious" when I do it, and not at all natural. Too much movement I think.....
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
I actually never performed the 11 card trick from the AOA books. What are the reactions?
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Pavlo, Its good to get the audience laughing, probably a good opener to make everyone feel relaxed and comfortable.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
What is the 11 card trick in AoA?

Smile
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

It's in Book 1, called the classic eleven card trick.

phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I should have seen that coming! Smile
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of jasper
I like hefty penetration. A card penetrates a clear plastic bag. Also, like all of the above, cross twist gets incredible reactions.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
Jim Robinson
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Jim Robinson
Hey, I love Flapjacks. It is one of my all-time favorite PH tricks. I've got a great presentation for it, but I don't think I would do it in a restaurant environment again. This is a case of "working horizontal" as Simon Lovell calls it - that is, working on the table top.
I think a lot of the other tricks mentioned above, though I've used many of them in the past, suffer from this same problem and I am working to get up off the table when working in a restaurant (or most anywhere else, for that matter)...
Robinson.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.... He to who this emotion is a stranger ... is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein
Jasonm921
View Profile
New user
NYC
86 Posts

Profile of Jasonm921
I have to agree for a simple trick....Cross Twist packs a great punch.....The color change at the end really creates a stir..and you end totally clean. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Art of Astonishment - which effects in it are best for table hopping? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL