The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Making an invisible deck "appear". (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
The invisible deck is working quite nicely as part of my close-up routines.
This is slowly evolving and becoming more of my own every performance.

When it's time I would like to try to make the deck of “invisible” cards appear in
some fashion. Rather than just pulling a deck out of a shirt pocket or such.

What are the options of making a deck of cards appear?

So far I received one comment about sleeving are there any
other options?

Thanks in advance.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Chill Pack" Carneycopia.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
I think sleeving is fine. I suppose it could work with a change bag, if that's your sort of thing. If you are handing it out ala the Malone routine, you could "take it out" of the change bag, showing it empty, do the build up, ask them to drop it back into the bag and voila, it magically appears.
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Jaz: Thanks I will be checking out “Chill Pack” when I get back from
my road trip in a couple of days.

Scott: As I am in the “brainstorm” part of trying to figure this out
I think about all suggested methods. But so far, me and change bags
don’t care for one another too well. Smile
But this may really be the solution in certain situations.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Jaz,

The slight difficulty with Chill Pack is that, as created, it is one of those surprises that comes into play before the trick has apparently started. How do you motivate the actions to the jacket after you've already begin the "invisible" deck premise?

Regarding the appearance, there are a number of ways to do it. Producing it from your sleeve as you reach into your pocket (which they've already verified as empty) could work. Similarly, you could hand out an empty card box, ask them to put it into the double-chambered whatever, and then ask them to pull out the box containing the ID. That double-chambered whatever could be a box, a bag, your jacket pocket, etc.

A similar approach might work with a regular deck switch. There's no end of published methods for that. It's also made easier because everything is boxed. Might be more difficult to routine, though.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
nicky
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of nicky
Just a plain paper bag will work.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I like the plain paper bag approach nicky suggested. You whap open a paper bag and hold it out towards the spectator who is holding the invisible deck, then ask them to toss the deck into the bag. Plop! You hear and see something fall into the bag and you dump out the visible invisible deck.

However, if the situation calls for a more elegant approach, check out my "Elevator Box" from The Wizards' Journal #11 on my site. You make it yourself from a small wooden box from the craft store or gift shop.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Are you sitting down? If so, just put it on your knee. Reach out to retrieve the invisible deck and just pick up the deck with the other hand, bring it out palm down. Turn your hand palm up and drop the invisible deck onto your hand.

Don't draw attention to what you are doing, just do it. Some will see you bring the deck out, most will suddenly be aware of it when it "appears".
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Wow, thanks all.

erlandish thanks for your thoughts on this
there are a couple of things to try here.

nicky/Spellbinder thanks for paper bag idea
and enhanced paper bag comments.

Spellbinder I have been happy with my previous
purchases from you will be looking into “elevator box”
shortly.

marty.sasaki sitting down? (pun was intended right?)

I like it. But more performances than not I am standing.
But there have been a couple of time I am in fact sitting.
Good idea.

As mentioned this is an evolving routine for me so now I
have several things to try.

Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
I saw a good, casual yet startling appearance of a deck being done by a lady performer that I saw in a video, The History of Magic - Close-Up Magic.

I don't have enough time to look for the performance right now, so if you are patient, you can look for it somwhere in the various parts of The History of Magic - Close-Up Magic in YouTube.

Gonna post a link when I can find ample time.

Alel
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Quote:
On 2008-04-19 05:18, Alel wrote:
I saw a good, casual yet startling appearance of a deck being done by a lady performer that I saw in a video, The History of Magic - Close-Up Magic.

I don't have enough time to look for the performance right now, so if you are patient, you can look for it somwhere in the various parts of The History of Magic - Close-Up Magic in YouTube.

Gonna post a link when I can find ample time.

Alel

I think you're referring to Fay Presto:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu......ch_type=

One of the videos found is the first (of six) part of BBCs history of magic - Close-up.

Michael
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Fantasio puts out a prop called the "Deck Switcher" which I've sometimes used with the Invisible Deck. It looks like one of those travel cases that holds two decks of cards, one red and one blue (both Bicycle decks).

I open the travel case, take out the red card case, open it up (it's obviously empty), and removed the invisible deck. I explain that this is a "Polaroid Pack," the latest product from Polaroid, the company known for it's instant picture cameras. After going through all of the gags involving the audience member shuffling the cards, picking a card, etc., I take the invisible deck from them, mime putting it back into the the card case and replace the card case into the empty section of the travel case. I close the travel case and explain that the deck has to be kept in the dark for a bit in order for it to develop. After a beat, I reopen the travel case, remove the red card case (remember, there's only one red card case--the other is a blue card case), open it and pull out the now visible deck. I then ask the spectator to tell us the card that they had just minutes ago selected from the invisible deck.

I'm sure that you can imagine the rest.
Vaughn Ver Steegt
View Profile
New user
Janesville, Iowa
56 Posts

Profile of Vaughn Ver Steegt
I've seen a routine where the magician throws the invisible deck out to someone in the crowd. After the selection of the card the magician had the person throw the deck back to him. He used a bag that resembled a mesh coin bag but was large enough to hold a deck of cards. So at the correct time the invisible deck appeared inside the bag. This routine was not done in a close up situation but I'd think that the bag could work for you.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
You could do a deck from deck using a deck shell. Lay one deck out... then produce a second deck from it just as you would using an expanded shell coin.

I have a deck shell and its pretty useful in many effects. I started using one after stocking them for my online store. I started out using it for deck switches, but so many other ideas came to mind.

if your hands are sized for it, maybe palm a deck or possibly a cuff hide?
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Very helpful indeed.

1. "Chill Pack" Carneycopia.
2. sleeving
3. double-chambered whatever (box, a bag, your jacket pocket, etc.)
4. regular deck switch
5. plain paper bag (You hear and see something fall into the bag and you dump out the visible invisible deck.)
6. Elevator Box
7. just put it on your knee
8. good, casual yet startling appearance of a deck being done by a lady performer
9. Fantasio "Deck Switcher"
10. (large) mesh coin bag
11. deck shell
12. maybe palm a deck or possibly a cuff hide

As I have started experimenting with some of the ideas that have been kindly offer here, it has become obvious, at least to me, that I will be using more than just one solution. As the “environment” changes I may need to change the approach to making the deck of cards appear.

Once in awhile I am sitting, most of the time I am standing. And I have used this for as few as (1) and as many as (25-30). I am also developing slightly different routines based on the environment.

The invisible deck routine has been working so well that I just received my order that had a jumbo invisible deck.

Poliphilo
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Poliphilo
A shimmed box and use of magnets brings about a whole host of different ideas on how to make the deck appear.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Thanks to everyone that took the time to post.

It is now just over a week later.

I have tried many of the above recommendations and I
am moving forward with 3 of the ideas shared in this thread.

Not to "slight" any of the recommendations, pun intended,
but the methods I'm working on right now were selected based
on what works in my current invisible deck routine(s) and my
present skill level. (Not extremely high, but improving.)

Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Jay Sankey'snew DVD, "Invisible" is an awesome reference for this and everything else related to the invisible deck. Highly recommended.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
David Stone has a nice deck production in his DVD, Real Secrets of Magic Vol 1. If my memory serves me correct.

David Stone mostly do performance standing, so I think it will suit you Smile

Basically, it's Sl**v*ng, and it uses a Flash Paper, which surely catch attention Smile

Very nice one.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Robert/qureyoon: Just learned an important lesson. I have both of
these disks here in my library. But I only picked specific things to watch
on each DVD and never saw what each of you just mentioned.

Thanks for the comments. I don't even have to wait "for the order to arrive."

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Making an invisible deck "appear". (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL