The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Citing Magicians On New Product (Please read. I need help) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
OK so I have a principle that can produce a variety of effects (as you can tell by my vagueness I am no going to say what). One of the problems that my producers are having is that one of the key sleights was made famous by a Magician (though not invented by him) would it be enough to just cite the inventor of the sleight and also the guy who made it famous because as soon as magicians are disclosed the method of one of the effects possible with my principle they say it has a [Magician's Name] "feel" to it. So my producer is on the fence on whether or not to go into production with it. I think that this EFFECT is very different from any effect made by this Magician but I even agree that is has his "feel" on it just because of that sleight. What should I do? Would the company and I get bashed for producing even though we cited everyone and I do stress the fact that my EFFECT is very original and only slightly touched up on a very long time ago using a completely different method. In case I am starting to get confusing pretty much I am asking Will I get bashed for releasing something that is dependent on my principle and someone else's but not limited (AT ALL) to that someone else's because there are many other effects possible with my principle that would also be discussed in the publication?
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I would say that it'd be prudent to contact said Magician, explain to him\her the situation and let'em know you are going to give credit noting that XXX has produced something with a similar feel or whatever. From what I've seen over the years this should cover your bases ethically, especially if your not copying their own unique method\effect. If it is loosely based on then to be honest, I'd make your best efforts to contact the person. If after your attempts you are unsuccessful then their silence shall grant their consent. Credit properly and any who bash you be ***ed.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
I am not copying anything that is theirs I'm sure of it. They use the heck out of it and to be honest this is the magician from which I learned it. So I am going to assume that this is fine. Any more input from anybody?
Wilberto Casillas
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
So does that mean that you're going to contact the individual who's known for the key sleight?
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Yes I am I called yesterday and he is usually in around 2 I hear or something so I will let you guys know.
Wilberto Casillas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Citing Magicians On New Product (Please read. I need help) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL