The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Gum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Ok I have been wondering about this.

Is there any resources available that has tricks with sticks of gum?

I carry gum around alot and so do my friends. I want to be able to take a stick or 2 and do some magic.

Can't find anything yet!

chris
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Chris,

I don't know of any effects with gum offhand but what immediately came to mind when reading your post was : Dan Harlan's Cheese Whiz Routine. Have you ever seen it? Hilarious routine where the slices of processed cheese are used in place of cards..yup he even shuffles them!

Okay letting my imagination run a bit rampant here but would be funny to do the same thing with sticks of gum. Would be difficult to shuffle them however..(ha ha) But how about signed stick of gum? Return the spec's signature to the pack...okay you'll have to take it from there. Hopefully the others will have better input than me.
:O)
Good Luck! Smile
Alpen
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
163 Posts

Profile of Alpen
Hey Chris...

For a few routines with gum, check out Aaron Fisher's early lecture notes "The Sleight Album." The two really good ones that come to mind are "Elanore Wrigley" and "Hey, Chewed" and he has a few published in the Minotaur, which was a magic periodical put out by Dan Harlan and Marv Leventhal.

Alpen
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
552 Posts

Profile of debaser
Jay Sankey has a routine in 100% sankey called "wrap it up"

You take a piece of chewed Bazooka gum, set it down in the wrapper and toss it into the air and it visually wraps itself back up in the wrapper prestinely

great effect.

Theres also a new effect by Sankey I think that involves a signed card to juicy fruit wrapper.

Matt
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
What!! The gum wraps in the air?!?!
What book/video is it in?
Thanks!
Chris
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Chris,
For an alternative approach to the gum re-wrapping effect, see my effect "Sticky Situation", at http://www.asquaredproductions.com/shop/......tion.asp

In my version, you take out a chewed up wad of gum, and as you stretch it out, it visibly changes into a dry stick. Then, waving the stick in the air with one hand, the stick visibly re-wraps itself, and you can give it to an audience member to chew.

It has an extra phase beyond the Sankey (and identical Jim Pace) version, and is a lot easier to carry around and do on a seemingly impromptu basis, as it's entirely self-contained (excepting an ungaffed wrapped piece, if you want to be able to hand it out at the end).

--Andy

P.S.-It's worth noting that mine was developed independently of both the Sankey/Pace and Fisher versions of the plot. Also, although I'm a biased source, all of the folks I know who are familiar with all three versions have said mine is the best :o)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Sounds cool Andy!
Maybe I should do a review for the Café!(hint hint!)

heehee. Don't take it the wrong way. Just joking!
Chris
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
552 Posts

Profile of debaser
Sounds interesting. Hopefully Ill see it one day.
Andy, do you not like video demos?

matt
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Matt,
Well, the primary reason I don't have video demos of any of my effects is that I don't have easy access to a camera to shoot them with.

That aside, I have mixed feelings on video demos, because, as I mentioned in another thread on my new rubberband effect, too many people end up watching the demo over and over again, and start "reviewing" the product publicly (and typically negatively) as if they're experts on it, when they only have a theory of how it works (usually incorrect) from having watched the video a few times. I don't mind a negative review, but I prefer it to be by somebody who actually knows what he's talking about, and nearly every time I've seen a thread here of an effect where a video demo was available, there has been a slew of factually inaccurate negative reviews of the product based on viewing the video without seeing the actual product.

There's also the fact that these effects are designed to be performed in the real world, for real people, not for a non-moving webcam. Misdirection just doesn't work the same in a video demo, so it doesn't offer an accurate portrayal of the effect (this is part of the cause of the problem I just mentioned, because what seems transparent in a demo can be incredibly deceptive in real life).

Also, certain effects (said rubberband effect, for example) just don't hold up well to that sort of repeated viewing by a magician intent on figuring it out. "Sticky Situation" doesn't really suffer from this, though, so it's more the previous few reasons (mostly the first) that there's no demo of it on my site.

I did see one video demo of this effect on another retailer's site, but it was horrible. The guy did the effect so poorly that he might as well have taken a chewed piece of gum, blatantly switched it behind the cover of his hand for a dry stick, and then done the same for a wrapped stick--that's sure what it looked like he was doing, and that's not what the effect really looks like if performed properly. It almost tempted me to put a clause restricting online performance of my effects in all my future releases.

There have been a few reviews of this effect here at the Café, if you do a search you should easily turn them up.

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17099 Posts

Profile of joseph
Buy it. The effect is super. It is made very well, and is a great opener. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5750 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
"Sticky Situation" looks like real magic! I saw Chad Long use it at The Abbott's Close-up Convention and jaws were dropping. It got a great reaction!
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
An effect with sticks of gum can be found in Steve Spill's "The Spill Bar and Grille", page 59. In the "Gum Stick Trick" five different sticks of gum are laid on the table, one is chosen and the other four change to match the selected one.
Two strange effects using chewing gum are Tom Mullica's "Gum Gozinta Balloon" ("Show Time at the Tom Foolery", page 82) and Mike Montgomery's "Cofessions of a Bubble-Gum Addict" ("Spectacle", page 103). I won't try to describe Mullica's routine, you just have to see Tom do it. In Mike's routine you use your hand as a puppet. The puppet chews a piece of gum and blows bubbles.
Sankey's gum effect "Wrap It Up" can be found in his book "100% Sankey", page 52. It's also included in his 1986 booklet "Memorable Images", page 10.
schmitty65
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of schmitty65
Does anybody have any demos of "Sticky Situation" because I have been looking to buy this effect for like a year. But every time I buy something from the internet it is not what it seems. aka "bracos floating ball"
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Tom Foolery has a great gag where he stretches a chewed piece of gum and does a cut and restored gum. I wouldn't do it but it is funny.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Schmitty65, I tried sending you a PM, but kept getting a browser error. If you didn't get it, e-mail me at magiccafe@andy-l.com
EricClark
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
68 Posts

Profile of EricClark
Dan Harlan has some gum tricks on his videos.

Ultimate Impromptu - Volume 1 has Eleanor Wrigley and Gum Together (which I think are both Aaron Fisher effects)

Premium Blend - Volume 4 (which I haven't seen)
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
For an easy effect in the right context use the new gum-colored mouth coils.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I do a fun impromptu chewed and restored gum. You chew up a piece then shape back into a brand new stick.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17099 Posts

Profile of joseph
You can view Sticky Situation demo at Elmwood Magic.....

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=51

:cool:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
That was the wrong link for Sticky Situation...

The correct link is http://www.asquaredproductions.com/shop/......tion.asp
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Gum (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL