The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Last Will (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Just out of shear prudence, and being the last member in my particular branch of the family tree (and not in perfect health), I have decided to create a Last Will and Testament as well as a living will.

What I want to know is: Are there any good sites on the web for getting these forms? Also, what other forms do you think I should consider getting in order to leave no stone unturned? Finally, should I mail notarized copies to the recipients & executor?

If anyone knows, please feel free to either PM me or leave an answer here to help others who may be contemplating such things as well.

One final question: To whom would you will all your magic books and apparatus?

Thanks in advance for your answers to my query.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
This is only my opinion but...

Anything magically oriented, assuming you do not have any close relatives or friends who are into magic, should probably go to a local magic club. Magic shops might help you with that too, but they will want a piece of it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Get a decent affordable attorney to do you up one - all legal and like. They usually do these documents as a package (will, living will/medical directive, power of attorney). The attorney will advise you on who gets copies (the executor will probably be responsible for notifying beneficiaries after your demise, but should sign his/her acceptance of the post now before a notary). See that the will is "self proving" if you want to avoid probate.

The potential cost of doing it wrong far outweighs the cost of doing it right.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Like Ross, I'd recommend an affordable yet reliable attorney in your area. Still, if you have a very basic and simple will and you're determined to save a buck, http://www.legalzoom.com has done an excellent job on my business related issues. I get my wills through the military local staff judge advocate office (Retired military bennie) - so I have no idea what they do for wills.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Solitaire
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Solitaire
@clynim:
Have you considered giving your magic books, aparatus, etc to a magic orientated museum? Or you name in your will the folks you want to donate with. Or you could also set up a magic foundation (I don't know the right English word for "Stiftung").

As for the legal aspects concerning last will, etc I cannot give you advice since I am living abroad but I would go to an attorney/notary.

I really hope that your health will remain stable and that you will stay for a long time with us.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I just paid a lawyer to do mine, despite the fact that it was very simple. Better safe than sorry. I had to administer my parents' estate and it was greatly simplified by the fact that they had the paperwork all in order. I want to make sure my daughter has the same.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
Please consider leaving me all of your magic items and I will see to it that they go to a very nice home... no really!! (just kidding) (no not really leave it all to me) ... (Uses the force) you want to leave it all to me... these are not the droids you are looking for...
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Last Will (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL