The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Bound to Please or Six-Hour Memorized Deck (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
I am ready to learn a memorized deck. I'm now trying to decide which one of these to get: Six-Hour Memorized Deck by Martin Joyal and Bound to Please by Simon Aronson? Any suggestions?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2154 Posts

Profile of ddyment
You'll find a variety of information on this issue (which is a non-trivial one) in the following on-line text: An Introduction to Full-Deck Stacks.

You'll also find no shortage of opinions from people who prefer the stack that they took the trouble to learn, of course!

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Mark Butcher
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, NY
116 Posts

Profile of Mark Butcher
Most memorized deck routines are stack independent so what stack you decide on isn't going to prevent you from doing most routines. That being said, I would recommend the Aronson stack for ttwo reasons. Number 1 being their are plenty of built in tricks to the stack. Number two, based on my non-scientific poll it seems to be the most popular stack (at least in the US) and when two magicians get together and know the stack, watch out.

-Mark
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
758 Posts

Profile of leondo
Do you need poker hands dealt in your routines or act?
If you don't you'll find either stack wonderful and full of miracles.
Ted (Leondo)
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Just a note: in performance, the audience never knows how long you took to learn the stack. If all a stack has going for it is that it can be learned quickly (and I'm NOT saying that this is true of the Joyal stack)it's really not much of an advantage. Unless, I suppose, someone has kidnapped your family, and to get them back, you need to do a memorized deck trick tomorrow.

One built-in feature of the Aronson stack is that you've got Simon Aronson and friends all working on new material all the time. In that aspect, it has the best product support of any magic item I've ever seen.

I also do not use the poker deal aspects of the stack, but there is still quite a bit of other stuff.

If you decide to learn your own stack, you can still use Aronson's system to learn any stack of your choosing. I'm pretty sure that's not true of the Joyal stack.

If you do decide to take that route, you might want to try this: Learn a really good version of "Sam the Bellhop" or another story deck. Give the stacked deck seven out faros. Memorize the result. Now you can perform any number of M deck effects, then give the deck one final out faro, and go into "Sam", from a genuinely shuffled deck, no less.

This might strike some as being a little cheeky, but it's appealing.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Martin Joyal
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Martin Joyal
>>> manipulator

Both stacks are good. I'm glad you are taking the time the chose the one that best suits your needs.

There are four points to consider when you choose a stack to memorized:

* Does it look like a shuffled deck?
* How easy will you reach your goal of memorizing it?
* Will it remains in your memory for a long time?
* Are there any built-in tricks?

The way you prioritize these questions will lead you to the right stack to memorize.

Good luck!

Martin
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
Thanks for the help, everyone. Your advices sure help me on deciding which to learn. Smile
kryptonite76
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kryptonite76
bbguy09
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of bbguy09
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2003, ddyment wrote:
You'll find a variety of information on this issue (which is a non-trivial one) in the following on-line text: An Introduction to Full-Deck Stacks.

Seventeen years later, this is still an exceptionally valuable resource. Here is an updated link.

Thank you for sharing, Doug!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8424 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Manipulator: Stay away from the books that have sold over 12 million copies all over the world - books like: HOW TO DEVELOP A SUPER-POWER MEMORY, THE MEMORY BOOK, AGELESS MEMORY, and so on. Amazing.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
MC Mirak
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Wikipedia says "50 Shades of Grey" alone has sold 15.2 million copies so he should probably pick that up first, right? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Bound to Please or Six-Hour Memorized Deck (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL