The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Ze Axtell Ducky... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Hey Chris,

You have a great character...a duck is a sure hit Smile not to forget it's an Axtell Duck, meaning when you bring it out and let it look at the audience, you already get laughter because it's a funny looking duck Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 06:59, jlevey wrote:
As Groucho always said.... "Viaduct is better than no Viaduct" (actually, not sure he said that (lol!).

Actually it was Chico in "Cocoanuts".
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Ok, an update. He DID go "under the knife"...I know, I went back and forth like a ship on a storm...and of course, cutting into a $200 dollar puppet's never been something that exactly "calms me down". Then, the calvary answered...
My wife helped me (she's a great seamstress), and we made the body smaller, to be almost like the Pavlov in body shape (just a little larger, actually). My wife said before she thought it might look cuter with a smaller body. And, we had his "operated on" and "closed up" in about twenty minutes! Honestly, as a shorter guy, this makes it WORLDS easier for me to handle. I'm sure a taller guy would have no problems with the original. However, this smaller body (oh, and we cut the wings down by half), made it even funnier looking as now it has more of a "charicature" type look. A pair of short donated by our 5 year old from his earlier "toddling" days, plus a re-work of the voice (picture one of Donald's nephews) and my own tribute to one of my heroes, Mr. Weldon....(my son's idea, he loves to watch the youtube clips of the man who voiced "Donald Duck").
"Willy Webfoot" was born today!
I'll have a pic as soon as I can! Video, too!
Thanks for the input and great ideas, everyone!
Chris
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
An experienced performer should go with his/her instincts. I've modified a number of the puppets that I didn't build myself. It makes all the difference when you're performing confidently with a character.... unless you make a horrible mistake and destroy an expensive artistic creation thereby reducing it to a pile of rags and rubber!

But-
Thank God for spouses with a sharp eye for detail, artistic sensibility, and a delicate touch with scissors and thread.
I have one too!
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 19:34, chris mcbrien wrote:
and my own tribute to one of my heroes, Mr. Weldon....(my son's idea, he loves to watch the youtube clips of the man who voiced "Donald Duck").

Actually, Jimmy Weldon voiced Yakky Doodle, the little duck that was mothered by the bulldog Chopper on Hanna Barbara cartoons. Donald was voiced by Clarence Nash.

I found Mr. Weldon through Youtube, googled his site and ordered some materials from him - then promptly forgot about them. A month later I got a phone call from the man himself. He had just gotten the order and apologized for the delay in sending it. An awesome, inspiring and very friendly gentleman.

Chris - glad the surgery worked out! Can't wait to see pictures.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Hey Chris, does your wife have a license to operate on puppets Smile Smile Smile

Actually I think they all do...Smile

My wife operated on a MAT Duck and added a really big tummy.

http://www.geocities.com/thepartyzoo/duperduck6.JPG
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 21:11, tacrowl wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 19:34, chris mcbrien wrote:
and my own tribute to one of my heroes, Mr. Weldon....(my son's idea, he loves to watch the youtube clips of the man who voiced "Donald Duck").

Actually, Jimmy Weldon voiced Yakky Doodle, the little duck that was mothered by the bulldog Chopper on Hanna Barbara cartoons. Donald was voiced by Clarence Nash.

I found Mr. Weldon through Youtube, googled his site and ordered some materials from him - then promptly forgot about them. A month later I got a phone call from the man himself. He had just gotten the order and apologized for the delay in sending it. An awesome, inspiring and very friendly gentleman.

Chris - glad the surgery worked out! Can't wait to see pictures.

That's strange...for some reason (someone must have told me or something) I had it in my head that Mr. Weldon did the voice of Disney's Donald duck...
Thanks for the info!
I may have to google his site too. I had no idea he had one...I just had a bunch of his youtube clips stored.
The character is coming along nicely, as is the routine now that I have the actual puppet. I test my routine's on my wife and kids once I have it to a certain point, then tweak the reactions of the puppet and the timing based on the reactions of my family.
Cool modification, Wanlu! Love the character!
Steve: I don't normally hesitate on modifying puppets, but I think it was my kid's and wife's reactions to the "tail shaking" that gave me doubts. I agree with you on the instincts thing. Very true. Now that he's modified, I can still "shake his tail feather", but it's actually funnier now with his new look. Thank goodness for wives with a sharp eye!
Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Clarance Nash was a great friend of mine in his last years. Just a wonderful Disney character in his his own right. Truely lovable in every way. I was so fortunate to know him and got to produce a major show/tribute to him at Caesars Tahoe in the early 80's. 'Ducky' was the most perfect cute little old man you could ever meet. The 'ladies' were head over heels over him especially when he'd do his duck voice.

Suggestion...rather than name your duck Donald, why not have him be the duck that was replaced by Donald at Disney? His name could be Donell or Don L. or some such...reasons Donald took his place? Donell had a REAL temper!! Plus he insisted on wearing shorts!

Have fun!! Clarance would approve of your choice of farm animal. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Thanks for your comments and for the great story, Doug!!! Very appreciated!
I'm inspired to do some "googling" on Clarence for some more info!
Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I probably know more about 'Ducky' than anything you'll find in a google. In fact I know I do. Smile Maybe I'll tell the whole story some day...but it's a long one.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Doug,
Whenever you're ready, I ready to listen. I couldn't find anything much on google at all, and of course I'd rather hear it from you...
Thanks!
Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'll say this...he was worthy of having fans. Sometimes you find out that those you look up to are jerks...Clarance was definately NOT one of those. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Ze Axtell Ducky... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL