The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ball colors and sources (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou very much! Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Those are nice Laurie, I was not able to see them earlier.
I swear all I saw was a picture of a monkey on your web page.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, Frank! The monkey is on my old viviti website which will be expiring in a few months. If you click on him, he'll take you to the monkey fists on my new site. Smile

Laurie
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Back to color:

On a black close-up mat, I think RNTII's green (7/8" money) balls look great with my aluminum mini DA chop cup and I just got some yellow 1" stingers that look great with the "BAR" cup. Also, I think white looks great with copper cups!

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
558 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Your monkey fist balls look great! You should be proud.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
If perchance that was directed at me, I'll add another Thankyou! Smile

Laurie

Posted: May 2, 2011 4:36pm
I've got some new colours available now! See my "PUNCH of Colour Celebration" banner on the main page of the Café!

Laurie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I ordered three sets of Magicalaurie's monkey fist balls in yellow, and she threw in a sample of the "punch of colour celebration" ball, as well. This is a really nice ball that should work well on any dark background. It brings back memories of some of the more tasteful pastel tie-dyed clothing of the '60's.

I realize that it may be difficult for some of you to think of tie-dyed clothing as being tasteful, but if that doesn't work for you, think of some of the nicer-looking tie-dyed silks. I think Laurie has a winner on her hands.

Bill
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
You have memories of the '60s?
Wow.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was more of an observer than a participator.

Someone had to drive. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cdmdu
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cdmdu
Dave, I use a black close-up pad too. Therefore I have bought several different coloured crochets balls. I think that the red ones I used before didn't provide a good contrast with my pad (I don't tell any patter about vampires). Nowadays, I use white balls with my chop cup (and another green one) which is in aluminium. To use with my combo nickel plated set, I have turquoise blue (with silver metal) balls. I can use them with a cooper set too. The green sparkling balls - dragon scales (RnT2) are brilliant too and available with either cooper or grey-metallised cups.

I just have some colours-associated fears:
I think yellow and especially orange balls aren't giving a perfect contrast with copper cups.
I fear that my white balls become dirty and not so clean as they are now.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you allow your copper cups to patinize, yellow will work very well with them. Not only that, you will eliminate flashing by reflection, that is, people won't see reflections of things they shouldn't see.

Patinized cups can look very good. When they get to the point that you like, apply a little oil to the surface, allow it to set overnight, then wipe it off. The oil will stop the patinization from proceeding further, and will give the cups a bit of sheen.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
797 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 12:57, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you allow your copper cups to patinize, yellow will work very well with them. Not only that, you will eliminate flashing by reflection, that is, people won't see reflections of things they shouldn't see.

Patinized cups can look very good. When they get to the point that you like, apply a little oil to the surface, allow it to set overnight, then wipe it off. The oil will stop the patinization from proceeding further, and will give the cups a bit of sheen.

Dear Mr Palmer,

Is there a particular type of oil?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
797 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2011-05-06 19:40, cdmdu wrote:

I just have some colours-associated fears:
I think yellow and especially orange balls aren't giving a perfect contrast with copper cups.

Not really.

Click here to view attached image.
cdmdu
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cdmdu
I know that. But it's in my mind that these colours (it's just orange and some sort of yellow, not so flashy as those shown on the photo) don't fit with my copper cups (and strangely I don't like patina on my cup, so they always are shiny).
So, I don't use yellow or orange balls.
Certainly not the universal truth, but just my little one.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is, of course, a matter of personal taste. If you are going to use shiny cups, you need a color that will contrast with them, as well as with your close-up mat and your clothing.

@ Yin Howe -- almost any light, clear oil will do. Mineral oil would probably work well. If you play a brass instrument, the oil that is used on the slides of these instruments should do nicely.

Jojoba oil should work. I don't know if I would use corn oil. I wouldn't want my cups to smell like Doritos!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
797 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2011-05-08 15:55, Bill Palmer wrote:

@ Yin Howe -- almost any light, clear oil will do. Mineral oil would probably work well. If you play a brass instrument, the oil that is used on the slides of these instruments should do nicely.

Jojoba oil should work. I don't know if I would use corn oil. I wouldn't want my cups to smell like Doritos!

unfortunately I dun play any instruments, so I have no knowlegde of the oils used on brass intruments.
Will baby oil work? (wow..i feel stupid typing this)
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
If you would, please keep an eye on the What's Cooking? forum for Café members only specials on Magicalaurie's Monkey Fists thru May 31. Smile

Laurie
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I've got some more new colours here now: http://magicalaurie.media.officelive.com/monkeyfists.aspx
My apologies if the page loads a little slowly- I'm working on changing the layout.

Laurie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-05-09 03:39, yin_howe wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-08 15:55, Bill Palmer wrote:

unfortunately I dun play any instruments, so I have no knowlegde of the oils used on brass intruments.
Will baby oil work? (wow..i feel stupid typing this)

Very light machine oil should work. Rub it on, let it sit, wipe it off.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
A couple more new colours up tonight. Smile

Magicalaurie's Monkey Fists

Check out What's Cooking? for 3 Specials running through May 31.

Laurie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ball colors and sources (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL