The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Split Reality? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Has anyone heard from Jeff recently? He was working on a supplement for this routine & I want that dang thing!!

Nathan
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Update...

A supplement is on it's way VERY soon.

Stay tuned!

J
xxx
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Hmmm....

Now would be a good moment for me to ask you for that supplement...

Don't you think, Jeff! Smile Smile Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
...and I could ask about Athos!
;)
J
xxx
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
...and I could ask you both to think of a number...both digits being odd...

Nathan
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
xxx
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Correct...thank you good night!

Nathan
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Interesting effect
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
I realise that I am a bit behind the curve on this but I only found out about this effect yesterday.

It wouldn't look a bit like this effect that I have been performing for the last 5 years would it?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIsYHywf25g

I've performed this is a number of ways & guises (criminals/murder victims, boys/girls etc) and have on occasion had the participants identify themselves retrospectively after they have dealed by way of a bit of wordplay.

The effect (i.e expanding the original O.*.T.W to use two spectators and using photographs) was actually published by Phillp Escoffey aka the Grey Man in about 2003/4, but I think the retrospective identification is mine.
I didn't use it in this performance as I didn't want to tip it.

If it is substantialy different I may purchase one to compare. Please could someone let me know the differences (other than window dressing with left/right hands)?

Best.

Doug
kevin carmean
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of kevin carmean
Great video Doug. I think your effect is much cleaner then split reality in that the participants do all the handling. In split reality the performer deals the photos to each spectator. On your video, unless something was cut out in the edit, I am having a real time with the method. Nice job man!
Kevin
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
I just got "Split Reality". Great product.

I especially like the fact the photographs have a very contemporary, stylish touch to them. They are black an white which not only makes them look more consistent but also aids the working of the effect.

Best,
G.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 05:58, Suffolk wrote:
I realise that I am a bit behind the curve on this but I only found out about this effect yesterday.

It wouldn't look a bit like this effect that I have been performing for the last 5 years would it?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIsYHywf25g

I've performed this is a number of ways & guises (criminals/murder victims, boys/girls etc) and have on occasion had the participants identify themselves retrospectively after they have dealed by way of a bit of wordplay.

The effect (i.e expanding the original O.*.T.W to use two spectators and using photographs) was actually published by Phillp Escoffey aka the Grey Man in about 2003/4, but I think the retrospective identification is mine.

If it is substantialy different I may purchase one to compare. Please could someone let me know the differences (other than window dressing with left/right hands)?

Best.

Doug

So you are suggesting that you are the one that thought up the idea of using OOTW with pictures?
Powers of the Mime
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Powers of the Mime
The idea of using photos in place of cards came from Danny Archer. At least he published the idea. My dad has been using names on the OOTW for a Hindenburg routine since about 1995, no pictures at that time, just names.

Joe
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 19:39, chichi711 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 05:58, Suffolk wrote:

Best.

Doug

So you are suggesting that you are the one that thought up the idea of using OOTW with pictures?

No. I am suggesting that Phillp Escoffey aka the Grey Man came up with the idea of using both photos and two spectators in the same effect

Hopefully that precise enough an explanation of what I was trying to say.

The only thing I have added to the mix is a bit of word play, which from the description only,(I don't own Split Decision - No point) is also coincedentally employed.

So I guess all I'm saying is that:
The sole two elements of this effect (photos & two spectators) that seperates it from a standard O.O.T.W. have been used in an effect which (as far as I know) is visually identical to this one for at least 4/5 years. Maybe longer.
The key thing about using two spectators, and therefore the defining feature of, White Star, From Hell (I assume - don't have that either)& the Grey Man's older effect is that it elimanates the need to switch halfway through as one needs to in a "standard" one person O.O.T.W.

There are at least four different methods for ensuring the cards/photos remain seperate which include identifying features on the front (John Kennedy I think), having them alternating or the method I/The Grey Man utilse.
The first two require the performer to offer the appropriate card/photo to the appropriate spectator to select or re-ject.
The latter allows the spectators to mix the cards/photos and handle them throughout the process themselves. This allows the performer to claim (and this is certainly how they will remember it - particully using a subtlity which I am keeping for myself and I didn't use on the TV show) that he didn't touch the cards/photos once and that the spectators did it all themselves. For this reason alone I consider the Grey Man's version to be superior.

To answer Kevin's preceding question - No. There were no cuts in the edit.

D.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Well I just purchased this. I am now eagerly awaiting my download link...

Luke
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Just received it, that was fast!

There goes my Saturday night. Thanks Jeff. Smile

Luke
haim goldenberg
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of haim goldenberg
Thanks Jeff for introduce your idea to me. I think it is very clever and practical. In the right hands it can be a killer effect.
Korhan
View Profile
Regular user
Istanbul, Turkey
105 Posts

Profile of Korhan
Old links doesn't work, new link for the effect is:
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-......ity.html
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Thanks for all the kind words regarding split reality...

The effect was released one year ago today!

My family and I are both greatful for the support from the community!

All the best!

J
xxx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Split Reality? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL