The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Expect a Tip...am I wrong? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
When I perform a private party I expect to be tipped at the end of the show. I performed at a birthday party for a senior, at a restaurant yesterday. The owner closed the place down for the private party. He called the agency that books me and prepaid the affair.

I was supposed to perform walk around, close-up magic for 1 hour. I did and everyone loved it, they had a great time, laughing and applauding and whooping it up. When I finished, I went to say goodbye to the restaurant owner but he was nowhere in sight???

Some of the wait staff said how much they enjoyed my magic, and yet I was mystified as to the owners’ whereabouts. So, I left.

I was a little miffed on the drive home.

Why no tip?

When I perform for corporations I don't expect a tip. (Even though it does happen from time to time.) But when I perform at a private event, I EXPECT a tip.

I did a great job. Arrived early and stayed a little longer (about 20 minutes) I was well groomed, clean-shaven, polite, friendly, professional, and everyone was very complimentary.

So again, why no tip?

It makes me feel like I didn't do a good job.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21006 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you expect a tip, charge more.

I can't believe you are asking this! Why is a tip "expectec" exactly?

All you listed falls under the catagory of "doing one's job" and is not really tip worthy anyhow.

If you want a tip for staying the extra 20 minutes, leave. Or negotiate it prior to the event.

In either case to "expect" a tip, is really...... man I have no word that is not inflamitory, so insert your own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3418 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 12:38, Justin Style wrote:
When I perform a private party I expect to be tipped at the end of the show.

Oh man!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I feel like it's a service business. Yeah, I expect to be tipped. Why not?

You don't need to get all high and mighty about it.

You work a catered affair, they tip the caterer, the food servers and the bar tenders. So, you say the performer does NOT deserve a tip?

I disagree.

I tip everybody. I’m not cheap.

Thanks for your feedback and restraint.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I never EXPECT a tip... but I graciously accept them when offered.

Lyndel
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I'm with Lyndel on this. I never expect one.
Take the pessamistic approach. Expect the worst and then you can only be pleasantly surprised.
Keep in mind, yes, we are a service industry, but you will not find how much we should be tipped in any guide to manners.
No one really knows whether we should be tipped or not (At least in a hired situation. Working for tips is another manner entirely)
Gwyd
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I'm from New York City...Tipping is a way of life, it's the norm.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I prefer to mug people. Tipping under duress.

So you get paid for what you did do (The show)
You get tipped for what you didn't do (manslaughter)

Remember, you can't spell "manslaughter" without "laughter".
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Not sure I can offer anything but this anecdote, from an unrelated business pursuit:

Christmas Eve, 1989, 1990, somethin' like that, I'm working for a client, installing new mirrored closet doors. Did I mention it was Christmas Eve? The client was giving the new doors as a gift to the missus, but the doors he'd bought were the WRONG SIZE, so I shlepped them back to the hardware store 20 miles away and got the RIGHT SIZE doors. The whole time I'm there they're baking cookies, pies, roasting a turkey, prepping hors d'oeurves, and various others (postman, water delivery guy, neighbours) are popping in and enjoying snacks and drinks. As I'm wrapping up and putting away tools, the family is sitting down to dinner...and the old man says, "You're not charging me extra for returning the doors, ARE YOU?"
Not only did I NOT get a tip, but I wasn't even offered a friggin' cookie.

But, like any pirate....uh, I mean, "carpenter" working on Christmas Eve, I did not work cheap. I bought my own cookies on the way home, and had plenty of dough left over.

Better luck next time, Justin Smile
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Yeah,,,but how did you feel on the drive home?

that's all I'm sayin.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3352 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 13:40, Justin Style wrote:
You don't need to get all high and mighty about it.

Justin, do you actually read these forums? Smile heh!

But seriously, I concur -charge more! You're worth it!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21006 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
High and mighty? OH LORD you EXPECT a tip and you call me high and mighty?

Hey maybe if tipping is the norm, and you consider yourself in the service industry and you didn't get tipped, then perhaps this should tell you something? Maybe you didn't do as great a job as you thought? This IS one solution to the problem isn't it?

Now I may be wrong but a "tip" is voluntary right? I mean the people at McDonalds are bringing you food, do you tip them?

Like I said if it is the "norm" and everyone is getting a tip but you, then look in the mirror.

And then you get angry when you DON'T get one?

Reminds me of my practice wife. She would ask if I wanted to do something, then get angry when I said something other than what she wanted LOL.

Only way to "expect" one is to charge more. No way around it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I have to agree ... you should never "expect" a tip. Just because everyone liked your magic doesn't mean the owner felt he should tip.

You shouldn't feel bad because he didn't tip ... that's like complaining the glass is half-empty. What you should do is feel good when someone does tip.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Well okay...

Maybe it WAS me. Maybe I didn't do as good a job as I thought, I mean with every one happy and all.

Just to be clear Doyle (and stop trying to instigate) I am NOT angry.

McDonalds is a different business. WE ARE in the service business.

TIP Means: To Insure Promptness.

I did not set up the show, the agencey did. it was prepaid.

You show up at my gig, do a good job, I give you a tip. EOS.

But from what you all say, You don't expect tips...cool by me.

I guess (even though I don't really feel) that I'm wrong on this one?
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 13:54, Josh Riel wrote:
I prefer to mug people.

Mugging people is for suckers!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 16:27, Justin Style wrote:
I guess (even though I don't really feel) that I'm wrong on this one?

I don't think it's a question of right or wrong - it's a matter of perspective. Your perspective says you should be paid more than you charge. The best solution is to just charge more than you want to be paid. Then you won't feel bad if they don't tip because you already included it in your fee.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2464 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
If waiters/waitresses were allowed to design their own jobs, do you think they'd choose the "payment in tips" model?

You design your own terms - ask for what you want and get it. Tips are "gravy."

You can maximize them, but you'd be walking a fine line in terms of customer relations - when I was in balloon-a-grams I could usually get away with asking "would you like me to include a tip for the messenger?", but booking shows the most I could get away with was "my shows have satisfied hundreds of clients, I know because many of them tell me they're happy with a tip."
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
It's not that at all. Believe me, I charge a lot as it is...lol No matter how much I charge a tip is always appreciated. And yes, sometimes I DO look for it.

I don't ALWAYS expect a tip. Most of the time I'm happy with just getting paid.

But I can't deny the fact that a tip (to me) says thanks for doing a good job.

The guy is in the service business and therefore I would think he would be sensitive to the situation.

On the other hand; what if you and I ate at the restaurant, had a great meal and left without a tip? Should the waitperson be happy with that? After all, they get paid for doing their job.
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
Maybe your agent/agency should've mentioned to the client that you often receive tips from clients. I know NYC is all about tips - but in rural American it isn't a foregone conclusion. Even when I quote a birthday party (long before the event) I mention that many times people tip me if they are happy with the show - that usually puts the idea in their head and I often receive good tips - but still not every time.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 12:38, Justin Style wrote:

When I finished, I went to say goodbye to the restaurant owner but he was nowhere in sight???

Some of the wait staff said how much they enjoyed my magic, and yet I was mystified as to the owners’ whereabouts. So, I left.

Regardless of whether or not you were tipped, I would have expected someone in charge to speak to you at the end of the event.

Maybe a courtesy call back is in order, to check that the owner was satisfied?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Expect a Tip...am I wrong? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL