The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Expect a Tip...am I wrong? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2365 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Justin,

You just got paid very well for something you enjoy doing. Count you lucky stars you are one of the few! Besides, your attitude of doing more than asked for will pay off big time in the long run. I suspect it already has.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks Pep and Ken!

Believe me, I never say a word, all I ask for is my pay. I don't accept anything other than a glass of water. Period.

I don't know what happened that day? (I've been doing shows for more than 20 years) But for some reason I lost focus of the big picture. I can't explain what made me think a tip was coming, which I do believe, is a bad thing to do.

Maybe I just felt diss'd? maybe it was because the previous three, I got tipped? I got caught up in it and then I fell into the trap of thinking I should get a another one. Maybe if the guy would have been around and just said thanks, I'm sure I would have been happy with that.

Maybe afterall, I was just hoping for an "atta boy"? So that's why I had hurt feelings, I guess.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21016 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Justin you seem to be looking inward, which may be on the right track buddy.

I am NOT BEING SARCASTIC I hope you know right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Set your price up front, not your expectations of what you might, could or should get in the end.
POOF!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks. I'm only human. I laugh, I cry, I make mistakes, I always try to learn from all I meet. I ain't perfect....(but thank God, I'm super good looking! hey now.) I try my best.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
My brother entered a business arrangement with a man without honor. My brother trusted the arrangement and lost twenty grand out of pocket.

Always layout terms of a contract in writing.
Never say yes to quick.
No, means negotiate.
Always set your price high and live up to the hype you pitched.
POOF!
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2008-04-21 13:40, Justin Style wrote:
I feel like it's a service business. Yeah, I expect to be tipped. Why not?

Sorry but I don't agree. I don't consider myself a 'servant.'

A waiter/ess has to serve on you hand and foot. Ensure you are completely satisfied and get you anything you ask for. People will more likely tip someone they know is on a low salary.

I’m there to entertain, not serve… I write my own script!

Ta,

John
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with that thought. I think it's your ego speaking, and here's why.

I get hired to perform at an event, private party, high-end social affair, etc. I feel I am just another spoke in the wheel to make the event a success. The wheel makes up many spokes, each one as important to the success of the event. And it starts at the parking lot as the guest' arrive for the event.

Once I start to believe that they are there to see me, (unless of course, you are the headline, keynote or marquee performer) then I have crossed the line and become delusional. It’s not about me, it’s about the host of the event. I am just another (fill in your own word) utility, in the drawer to be used to make the event organizer look great. I understand that and that’s why when people tell me how great a time they are having with me and the magic, I tell them to make sure the host of the event knows how much fun they’ve had. It makes the host feel like they are throwing a successful party and all of their hard work is paying off.

The other day I crossed the line and became delusional and therefore started salivating for a tip. It was stupid, plain and simple, therefore my ego allowed my feelings to be hurt.

I learned my lesson. Sometimes I have to be knocked over the head but eventually, I do learn.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
After closing on my house a buddy asked me if I tipped the title company representative . I didn't and had never heard of that.

Is that Common?
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2008-04-24 10:56, Justin Style wrote:
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with that thought. I think it's your ego speaking, and here's why.

I get hired to perform at an event, private party, high-end social affair, etc. I feel I am just another spoke in the wheel to make the event a success. The wheel makes up many spokes, each one as important to the success of the event. And it starts at the parking lot as the guest' arrive for the event.

Once I start to believe that they are there to see me, (unless of course, you are the headline, keynote or marquee performer) then I have crossed the line and become delusional. It’s not about me, it’s about the host of the event. I am just another (fill in your own word) utility, in the drawer to be used to make the event organizer look great. I understand that and that’s why when people tell me how great a time they are having with me and the magic, I tell them to make sure the host of the event knows how much fun they’ve had. It makes the host feel like they are throwing a successful party and all of their hard work is paying off.

The other day I crossed the line and became delusional and therefore started salivating for a tip. It was stupid, plain and simple, therefore my ego allowed my feelings to be hurt.

I learned my lesson. Sometimes I have to be knocked over the head but eventually, I do learn.

I agree, good post!

Ego aside, I still think one should present themselves differently from the waiting staff.

Ta,

John
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7503 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Wow, Justin. I like the growth you made through this thread.

It's all about the customer, and his/her needs, wants and desires.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks Donald. I'm always open to growth, just not around my waist...lol

But seriously, after twenty two years in this game, I can tell you this. I still have a long way to go and there is a lot I need to work on and improve. The key, for me, is trying not to make the same mistake twice; Make mistake, learn, grow and move on...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
I'm always open to growth

Usually, when I'm on the internet, growth is exactly what I'm looking for.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
...hey now!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Let's move on before I get banned.

Tips...uh...yeah...uh...tips are good, I like tips. What was the question?
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
So, check this out;

I get a call from the agency last night and they tell me that the guy wants me back for another affair this coming Sunday!

I asked my contact if the guy mentioned anything from the last show. Oh yeah, he said, the guy said everyone loved you and you were a big hit.

Well, I guess I'll be there again, this Sunday!

Do you think I'll get a tip?!

(Ok, only kidding about the tip...lol)
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
All's well that ends well.

I guess in this situation you should go straight up to the guy and ask him directly about the tip, since you'll have the chance.

What's with your avatar? I've seen it change twice this afternoon.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I'm going to staff mum about the tip...lol! Maybe, I'll just steal something instead...lol

I'm going through an avatar crisis, can't pick out a flattering photo to go along with my mood.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Maybe you should tell the agency to refuse the gig...say that you were unhappy about not getting your usual $500 gratuity...and that you had never felt so insulted.

I'd definitely try it.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
WHOA! (or as you might say...Hey now!)

That makes three different avatars that I've seen. How many have you already tried out?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Expect a Tip...am I wrong? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL