The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls...best resources for a neophyte? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I've done a search and found some info but would appreciate hearing from Cups and Balls aficionados as to what book, DVD they would find to be the best to obtain as I start to build a Cups and Balls routine. I know that there is an Ambitious Card Omnibus by Daryl and I was hoping that there might be one for the cups. Thanks for your help with this.

jeff

ps. any colour suggestions for me...I have copper cups, no close up pad and was wondering about balls/loads
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Michael Ammar dvds

Here is a link:

http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com/cata......lls.html
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Get the Michael Ammar DVD's and if you can find a copy of it, get his book, The Complete Cups and Balls. It has things that are not on the DVD's and vice-versa.

Once you have that material, get the Bob White DVD.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I would also suggest adding to that the old fashioned way and find a mentor. Someone who has actually done it is best. Smile
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1584 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I also recommend the Ammar book, very complete and easy to follow
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...Ammar.

Also, pay a visit to Bill Palmers museum!

http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com

Mark. Smile
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
I am also about to embark on the cups and balls journey. I've worked on the impromptu Vernon routine in Stars of Magic, but that's it. I have "The Magic of Michael Ammar". How does his teaching of his routine in here fare? I also have Ron Bauer's Don Alan Chop Cup booklet. Should I just start here?
Thanks
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The routine in The Magic of Michael Ammar is from a period when Michael's routine was a work in progress. It's a good routine, don't get me wrong, but he had a certain goal in mind when he worked it out, and now, after performing it for a long time, he doesn't feel that he was necessarily on the right track.

I refer specifically to the requirement that he be able to perform the routine standing up, without a jacket. It's not a bad goal, but it may have presumed that the audience knew too much. Read what he has to say about the big pocket in the back of his trousers. Recently, he said at a lecture, that the big pocket made his trousers resemble a pair of Dr. Denton's or Long Johns.

Now he has started wearing his jacket again, and has modified his loading procedure somewhat. Nevertheless, it is an excellent book, and you should have it.

However, the book that is specifically about the cups and balls is more thorough and exhaustive. The ideal combination, IMHO, is the book and DVD combination.

Ron Bauer's book on the Don Alan chop cup routine is the best of its type. Even though other magicians have gone far afield with the chop cup, I still feel that for the basic purpose of the chop cup, it does it better than any other routine. I saw Don do it a lot of times live, at trade shows and at night clubs.

Ron also has a good book on basic cups and balls technique and some other material as well.

But you have good material to start with.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Ammar is the way!!!Bob White also is a master of the craft!
Good Luck,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Get the cheap little book from Fun INC too. It only costs $5 and is a great resource. There are a couple of moves in there that aren't in some of the bigger texts on c&b.

I keep plugging that Fun INC book - I think I should start getting a commission.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
You want to learn the cups? Become friends with Bill Palmer and Pete Biro. If there is ever a lull in my performance, I put the props down, look at the audience and say, "Did I tell you folks that I'm on a FIRST NAME basis with Bill Palmer and Pete Biro." They gasp.

I perform a variation of the Vernon routine, David Williamson's 2 cup routine and am starting to working on Tommy Wonder's. The best thing about the cups is the ammount of variety that is open to you.
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
It's probably been mentioned in other threads, but I like Al Schneider's stuff on cups and balls. There is some pdfs available on his website, and a routine on vol 3 of "The Al Schneider Technique" dvd set.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Thanks guys. Yes Bill, I did wonder a little about the tailoring of the back pocket of a nice suit trousers! Something I would have had to think long and hard about! I guess I'll crack on with what I've got for now.
Thanks again
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Al Schneider's material is masterful. It is inspirational and definitely worth consideration.

Regarding Ammar's decision on the jacket, etc. He realized that it didn't matter to the audience, whether he kept his jacket on or took it off. And the rear view of those trousers was rather humorous.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
Definitely the Ammar videos. I'm pretty new to C&B myself, but I've picked up a lot of DVDs and books on the subject and find the Ammar videos to be the most thorough introduction to the topic. The DVDs cover the basic terms and moves thoroughly as well as provide routines that range from very basic to very advanced. Ammar does a great job of CLEARLY showing many of the moves that make up the foundation of C&B, and provides good insight into the thinking behind creating a C&B routine.

There's certainly a lot more you could (and might want to) learn about C&B, but these DVDs are hands-down the best place to start.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree the FUN, Inc. (Royal Magic) booklet mentioned above by Richard Evans is pretty good. In fact, it's the one I sell with the small plastic Cup & Ball sets at street fairs. I looked at a few different booklets and thought it was the best instruction and the best value for the price. However, it can be a little overwhelming because it uses the Vernon routine, suggests using a fairly tough sleight (a retention vanish) and in my opinion, doesn't go into enough detail on accomplishing the final loads. Then again, what you want for $5?

A better deal, in my view, is the FUN, Inc. DVD, "25 Tricks with the Cups and Balls," click HERE to view. Troy Hooser does a nice job of explaining a few basic sleights, including the tip-off move, although he does struggle at times with the little lightweight puffballs that ordinarily come with the Royal Magic set (I replace them with 1" dense cotton balls; you can buy them in any craft store).

This DVD is good because it gives a fair amount of information without overwhelming the viewer. In fact, it was this DVD that re-ignited my interest in the Cups & Balls, years after I had played with them and put them down, frustrated with my lack of progress, caused by a lack of decent instruction. Most magic dealers should be able to get this for you, and the price (around $12) is nice, too.

No question that the Ammar videos are the gold standard in Cup & Ball work, but for a beginner, unless he/she is a very determined beginner, they may be overwhelming. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I agree that Ammar is the best place to start(DVDs + book). After that, Al Schneider and Bob White would be good for intermediate-to-advanced study. The Ramsay DVDs (with Andrew Galloway) are also a first-class choice once you get beyond the beginner stage...and, lest I forget, the Books of Wonder and the dvd from Tommy Wonder.

Fortasse

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 11:06pm
Whatever you do...steer clear of the Eddy Ray DVD on cups and balls!

Fortasse
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
If you get hooked to the C&B I would also recommend the first greater magic video library teach in session, in this DVD you will be able to see Charlie Miller, Johnny Paul, Mike rogers and Michael Ammar(again).
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Walid -- that is an excellent suggestion. I never met Charlie Miller. I wish I had. But I knew Mike Rogers. I met Johnny Paul at a couple of the Vegas seminars. He was a delightful person.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
To see four legendary artists performing and explaining the cups and balls, and learn each performer's philosophy it is just wonderful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls...best resources for a neophyte? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL