The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls...best resources for a neophyte? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kick me if you will... but the best thing you can do with cups and balls is to NOT watch others. Get off on your own and experiment and see what you can create.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I will never kick you, but I belive the best way to learn is look what the big guys are doing, no to copy them but to get their knowledge and try to move one step ahead.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:26pm
But don't get me wrong, I am suggesting Michael Ammar to get into the cups and balls, but if you wanna go ahead deeply get what others guys already suggest and the greater magic # 1 dvd.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Aldo Colombini's original Mama-Mia Cups and Balls is a wonderful routine that is largely over looked. Smile
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I'll second Pete's idea. I had read and seen Wonder's routine, Vernon's, Mendoza's and my personal favorite Michael Ammar's. I sat down one day with several great books open, read them and went off on a completely different tangent.

Not everything has been discovered. Not all possibilities are set in stone. I think if you play with your cups, experiment with different sequences you will find your own routine, hiding within those cups of yours.

My routine is not necessarily anywhere near as good as the ones I mentioned, it is my own, in sequence and several of the "moves".
If you insist on reading magic books, and you should do as much research as you can afford I'd go down this path . . .

Even though I'm sure someone else mentioned Al Schneider in this thread. You should read everything he's written on the cups and balls. I feel his writings have some thoughtful ideas that few other magicians are doing. Learn some of his sequences and perhaps they will lead you to sequences of your very own. Also!, Harry Riser's routine in Feints and Temps is wonderful. He had Charlie Miller as a house guest for quite sometime and his routine is a, little read or seen gem!

If you take the goal of mystifying all who see your magic as tantamount, accept no part of your magic that is "just good enough" you will find the real secret in this little amusement of ours. I have!

All my best,
KG
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I'm so thankful for all of the folks that have taken the time to answer my original post...much appreciated. It would seem that I should pick up a few resources and this is for my benefit in terms of seeing what moves are being used. I have some interest in the 2 cup routine and was toying with the idea of a routine that used some different cups. I think that I will start by securing a copy of the Ammar book and The Greater Magic Teach In series which has some real magic legends presenting the cups. I also would like to see what's available on Tommy Wonder's 2 cup routine.

I recently purchased a beautiful set of Brett Sherwood engraved copper cups and was hoping to find a matching chop cup in the engraved copper so any leads on this would be greatly appreciated. My other purchase was a Thomas Wayne coffee chop cup. I really like this cup because it looks so innocuous. I was also wanting to look for a chop cup that looked more antique/historical. I'm not sure if anyone can suggest something on this. Another option I have is to ask my friend who makes sets/props for the theatre/TV to try and do something with a nice wooden chop cup that I found kicking around in my magic drawer.

I also truly appreciate Pete Biro when he advocates for creating my own original routine. I've just returned from Mystery School and have been reading and re-reading all of Eugene Burger's work. I want a routine that is my own and matches me and the context of where I would like to present the cups. What I'd really like to see is the different sleights that are used with the cups.

Thanks again for your assistance with this thread. It's so nice to be able to come to the Café and receive direction on a place to start.

jeff

ps. Thanks to Bill Palmer for allowing me access to his amazing Cups and Balls museum.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
For two cups routine also check Aldo Colombini on "Essential Colombini" dvds,
All the best...
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Jeff,

Brett Sherwood will gladly make you a matching cup for your engraved copper cups. I seriously doubt anyone else has the tooling to duplicate one of his cups. It would be most unprofessional to have someone copy one of his cups. It won't be cheap, send him an email. The price may be on his site, I do not remember. If you decide to get the chopped cup, PM me. I have some interesting ideas that only work with his cups.

Kudos for pursuing your own routine. Two cup routines that rock:
David Williamson's and the immortal Tommy Wonder. Both routines can be found in their author's respective tomes.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2008-04-25 00:51, kentfgunn wrote:
My routine is not necessarily anywhere near as good as the ones I mentioned, it is my own, in sequence and several of the "moves".....

Your routine is my favorite, Kent. I anxiously await your release of the routine.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I can't wait to ssee him "LIVE" at the WMS in Las Vegas this next week.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Glenn, the routine is written up. I have no mechanism to publish this thing. It will be a while. I'll shop for an illustrator . . . someday.

Pete, you're the only reason I'm getting a shot at WMS. If you have some time at the convention, prior to the actual competition, I'd like to run through the routine in front of some live people. If you can, let me know if you could help me out.

Thanks,

KG
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I have a set of Sherwood engraved copper cups and would like to obtain a matching chop cup. Brett Sherwood advises that he doesn't have any and at this time that there are no plans to make any more. I've posted a WTB in the Tricks and Effects thread but haven't had anyone come forward as yet.

Anyways I was playing around with the Sherwood cups and also a Thomas Wayne coffee mug chop cup and I started wondering if a regular Sherwood copper cup could be "converted" into a chop cup by using a stronger m***e* in the crocheted balls? I was thinking about some kind of PK m***e* that could be added to a ball. It would have to be just the right strength so that ball holds but isn't glued on. Has anyone thought of this, tried this or have any thoughts or suggestions as to how this could be done or even if it can be done? I've never owned any PK's and so I don't know anything about their size, strength and so on.

Thanks for your help with this.

jeff
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
If Brett won't turn one out. Call up Mad Jake at RNTII. He has the Mendoza cups for sale, for less than you'd pay for Brett's Chop cup. If that fails, the Johnson Cups with a chopper work jez fine. If you're set on those Sherwoods offer Brett mo money.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2134 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
You can make your own, all you ill need is an original Sherwood engraved copper cup, 3/4" gaff and a piece of .020 copper approx 6x6 square to cut a disk from.

If you can't figure it out from there, PM me or write me at jake@rnt2.com and I'll give you the rest of the instructions. I no longer alter Sherwoods in any way but can tell you how to make your own.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls...best resources for a neophyte? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL