The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The new Silver Bullet Lite (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
There is a Silver Bullet Lite on market now and it is far cheaper than the original one. Is there anyone here who has it that can give a review or is there more limitation of this one than the original one?

Also can it only be used for a book test or some thing else? Thanks for your help.
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
It's exactly like the original, the gimmick just looks very different. It can be used for many things, though I find the book test the most clever effect yet. I would like to see a booklet covering different effects with the bullet. My guess is that there're many effects out there.

Sincerly,
Daniel Young
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
Manfredo
View Profile
New user
Nuernberg/Germany
93 Posts

Profile of Manfredo
It is much better: the handling is easier, the prop is lighter and looks more innocent. You also get some new ideas. Smile
Lamberto
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of Lamberto
Last weekend I bought mine at his lecture. As just said: it looks so innocent, nothing to worry about because it just looks like a "medicated lip balm". Smile
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Thanks all for the replies. I heard by using it, it will cause some damage to the page you selected in the book. Is it true? And will audiences have the chance to check it or do they not even do not know the prop is in your pocket?
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Wonderful. After I just purchased the full-blown version. Bah. I hope I will be sent or somehow have access to the new routines for my purchase, as well.

Besides the different container, is there noticeably less of the gaff material in the lite version? I need something to help justify the HUGE discrepancy in price between the two versions.

Brian
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2479 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I will make a guess and say that the price was changed in order to sell some after word got out what the "gimmick" was.
Sorry Brian

s
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
The price difference is because the large brass gimmick from the original version cost significantly more to manufacture than the small (and better designed) gimmick from the new version.

It's worth noting that, according to Lee, in addition to being smaller, the new gimmick has some other advantages over the old one, but which I'm not comfortable discussing in an open forum. Suffice to say that it solves some risks with the old gimmick that, while not necessarily anything an audience would notice, could cause some non-performance related trouble for the performer, as well as adding another more directly performance related benefit.

Brian,
According to his website, if you're a registered owner of the original, you can contact him for a special thank-you offer regarding the new version. I have no idea what the offer is, whether it's a copy of the new effects added to the instructions, a discount offer on the new gimmick, a complimentary new gimmick, or what. You'll have to ask Lee for details.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of jasper
I've just bought the lite version and apart from making a mess when first opening it Smile my mind won't stop thinking of devious applications! I like the book test and the shooting blanks effect, but have not yet had a chance to try any!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
I just received my bullet lite, and I am very please with it! I will be posting some ideas soon.

Rudy
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of jasper
Shooting blanks:

A spectator is asked to look at three blank index cards and imagine a pattern on one side and a simple shape (or whatever) on the other. Then one card is chosen and turned over unseen by anyone! I think the cards are then mixed around! The magician then gazes into the spectator's eyes and is able to reveal the contents of their thoughts!
I've written this from memory but think it's right.

I like this idea because everything is imagined and mentally projected onto blank cards and this enables the magician to also see what is only imagined. The moment of magic seems very real and I feel this lends itself to a very strong presentation.
--Albert Einstein
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
549 Posts

Profile of debaser
Jasper - I'm sorry, but that effect doesn't make any sense. If there are 3 cards with NOTHING on them, and Nothing is WRITTEN on them there can be no reason to mix them up or for them to even be there.

So are you missing something or am I?

By the way, I had a dream about this thing the other night. Maybe it'ss possesing me.

Matt
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2027 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I just got this, and I'm diggin' it. It's something I'll be carrying with me everywhere.

One thing to note is that for once the ads are guilty of understatement rather than exaggeration; contrary to what they say, you CAN use hardcover books for the book test. The only handling modification is to open the book, grab all the pages in between the covers (that is, everything but the covers themselves), and handle them as per the instructions for the whole book. This is easily justifiable in the presentation, even using the included patter unaltered.

This seems so obvious, and like such a significant improvement/selling point ("any book at all" as opposed to "any paperback") that it makes me think I must be missing something and it's actually not reliable. But I just tried it with five different hardcovers of varying ages and paper qualities, and it worked every time. I'd be interested to hear about other people's results with it.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of jasper
You're right, Matt. There is no need to mix them around. I was mis-remembering the effect but the rest is the same! I've been working on revealing the thought of shape by actually drawing it on the card they are visualizing it on! If the shape was a circle for example and you matched the size of their thought of image, this could be a strange experience indeed! Are there other tricks that involve this type of revelation?
--Albert Einstein
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Is Silver Bullet Lite practical in its handling? Is it contrived? Do you have to be a STRONG performer in order to "get away with it"? (i,e, is it something that only a Kenton Knepper or a Docc Hilford can get away with or is it a utility item that most mentalists of average ability will be able to effective utilize?) Is the end effect a KILLER or just another revelation? Is the method so unique and revolutionary that a performer just MUST get it and use it? Does Silver Bullet Lite make obtaining information easier to obtain and does it take this to a "new higher" level?

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
On 2003-03-19 14:31, Magic4all wrote:
Last weekend I bought mine at his lecture. As just said: it looks so innocent, nothing to worry about because it just looks like a "medicated lip balm". Smile

What am I missing here? Why (other than using as a bill tube type apparatus) would you have a "medicated lip balm" in ANY magic or mentalism act? Just because a spectator accepts the item for what it purports to be doesn't justify or explain its presence in the routine. (NOTE: I undersand that the "working" portion of this item is or can be messy and that the lip balm tube is the storage device for the "working" portion.)

I'm not asking for any method to be explained, I'm just having difficulty trying to understand the "logic" of having a spectator even be in the situation of seeing (and implicitly accepting) the device as what it purports to be. Is its use supposed to be sereptitious, but, if "caught", the spectator merely accepts the device as just an ordinary lip balm container that the magician just "happens to have" on his person (i.e. just like a handful of coins, his car keys, etc.)?

Puzzled in Portland

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2027 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Turk,

The point of the lip balm appearance is to give you the option of doing the "dirty work" out in the open rather than on the sly. The lip balm never plays a part in the routine; you just need to find a few seconds of down time beforehand (in between effects, or during a lull when a selection is being made, or while a volunteer is walking onstage, or before you walk up to the person at the party you want to impress, or...) to take it out and (apparently) use it as you normally would. Your audience should no more remember this than they would remember you taking a drink of water. It's not as though afterward someone will be driving home and thinking, "Gosh, that sure was amazing when he knew which word in the book I was thinking of, I wonder how he did it... WAIT A MINUTE!!! A few minutes beforehand he took a tube of LIP BALM out of his pocket and used it! Oh, it's all so obvious now!"

Whether the effect is "KILLER or just another revelation" will depend entirely on how you use it; it's nothing more or less than a technique to find out information that you apparently had no way of finding out. The technique is not so revolutionary that it will turn the world of mentalism on its ear, rendering everyone who doesn't start using it marginal and irrelevant. But it is practical, not contrived, not technically demanding, and you don't have to be a master linguist/hypnotist/NLP practitioner with Docc's physical presence and Derren Brown's charm to get away with it.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
549 Posts

Profile of debaser
Ok Jasper, so why are you using cards at all if there is nothing whatsoever on them? If the answer gives away the effect then you don't have to tell me, but this still makes no sense.

Matt
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks for the post, Quinn.

On a logical analysis, your explanation was exactly what I thought was happening. And that is what I was concerned about.

Whether or not the audience would ever make a connection between the effect and the lip balm the performer would take out and apply during the middle of the effect, IMHO, the use of the lip balm in the middle of the act (much less in the middle of the routine in question) just seemed a little "unprofessional" to me and hence, a little inelegant.

Carrying this rationale to the next level (the end justifies the means) I have to wonder what's next. Cutting your finger nails? Getting out hand creme and putting it on your hands? Applying eye drops? Taking medications? Sure they are not patently illogical but they are something that "a British Gentleman" would not do.

IMHO, you should take care of "your kit" (personal grooming acts) either before or after your act and not during the act.

This does not mean that I will not buy the Silver Bullet Lite. I'm certain that the impression/information gathering method is very good. After all, it is from Lee Earle.

But if I cannot find a way to utilize the "necessary something" without having to apply lip balm on my lips during the middle of the routine, I'll reluctantly put the item into my "forgotten magic" drawer.

OH! One other question: Is the "magic something" something that you can replenish yourself, or, are you at the mercy of Lee Earle and have to purchase it directly from him or an "authorized dealer"?

Thanks again for all the information and the time you took to post the info. It was VERY much appreciated and will allow me to make a more informed decision regarding this item.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Turk, PM me please. I will tell you more about this wonderful gimmick.

Kuffs
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Can the gimmick only could be used for "Book Test" effects?

Hengky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The new Silver Bullet Lite (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL