The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What razor do you use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Braun electric shaver. Ever since I had a teen-aged incident that required stitches in my chin, I have not allowed a traditional razor near my face. I like the precision of an electric shaver since I wear a “tight” goatee.

On the other hand, being a swimmer/water polo player in High School and a Semi-Professional Bicycle Racer in my early 20's. I used the cheap disposables on my legs.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
I remember reading somewhere that if you keep your blades in Mineral Oil(?) you could use the blade indefinately. Anyone know about this?
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Doesn't the guy in the video look just like a young Dan Ackroyd?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3347 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 17:38, rawdawg wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that if you keep your blades in Mineral Oil(?) you could use the blade indefinately. Anyone know about this?

Only if you put it under a crystal pyramid...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3347 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I use a Remington micro-screen that I've had for 20 years or so! I've changed the screen less than 10 times. It's not the closest shave by any means, but it's quick and easy and reliable.

I think I'll stick with it until it dies or I do... Whichever comes first.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
387 Posts

Profile of Bill
My wife bought a Norelco Shaver for me ten years ago. I've never shaved with anything else since. Convenient, fast, no nicks or burns and for me, it shaves just as close as a razor. I doubt if I'll ever change back.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 17:59, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-23 17:38, rawdawg wrote:

Only if you put it under a crystal pyramid...

Check THIS out...

I remember reading about this when I was a kid, seems pretty wacky to me.

Mike
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3347 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Ah, Fnord!

...Is there ANYTHING that crystals and pyramids is not the answer to?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Pyramid Power started with an article in a science magazine by Martin Gardner parodying some of the silly ideas being presented as science at the time. As some are incapable of comprehending parody the Pyramid Power craze swept the world for a couple of years, much to Mr Gardners amusement and horror.

As for razors, someone who needs to shave very closely before they perform told me the vibrating Gillette Fusion can't be beaten.

I needed safety razor blades for the show recently and a packet of 10 Wilkinson Sword cost me over $10 - I'll be careful to wipe them dry after every show!

Destiny
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:

As for razors, someone who needs to shave very closely before they perform told me the vibrating Gillette Fusion can't be beaten.

Interesting. Maybe that certain someone has some tips about skin care, too.

I know that the last thing I would want to do is get a real close shave and then put make-up on, for example. Open those pores up real good and then clog them up with foundation. It hurts to think about.

Do after shave lotions really work, by the way? I've read that alcohol and menthol just dry the skin. I've also read, however, that you should put something on the skin to help it with the trauma that shaving causes.

Shaving as trauma? Gotta stay away from those axes, people!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:

Interesting. Maybe that certain someone has some tips about skin care, too.

I know that the last thing I would want to do is get a real close shave and then put make-up on, for example. Open those pores up real good and then clog them up with foundation. It hurts to think about.

Do after shave lotions really work, by the way? I've read that alcohol and menthol just dry the skin. I've also read, however, that you should put something on the skin to help it with the trauma that shaving causes.

Shaving as trauma? Gotta stay away from those axes, people!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Shaving is actually good for the skin - exfoliates - sloughs off the dead skin and exposes the fresh stuff underneath. Women pay a fortune for jars of stuff that do that job.

As for opening the pores up - a splash of cold water will close them up again.

The trauma of shaving is nothing to the trauma of sun exposure - especially in the tropics where I live - the only thing you really need to put on your skin is sunscreen.

Destiny
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm pretty happy with my Mach three. The vibrations are cool. (although, I'm sure it's just a gimmick!)

But I get a real close shave...no nicks, no cuts...I used to use disposables once upon a time, but I got tired of having to carry my head out of the bathroom in a bloody towel.

My wife got me the razor as a present when she was alive. Amazingly, the batteries went on strong for a couple years or more, and after she passed away, they were still going strong.

When she bought me the razor, I never dreamed those little 2 dollar batteries would outlast her two thousand dollar defibrillator...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
So does anyone (anyone? anyone?) use a real straight edge razor?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I remember when I was a small child..my dad used one..with a brush and a mug...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I keep thinking about buying one, complete with the soap, mug, brush, and strop. It just seems so civilized and quaint. I suppose a box of Band Aids wouldn't be a bad idea either.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2826 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I just use the ninety-five cent six pack of disposable razors at Wal*Mart. (And I get 10 cents off with my employee discount to boot!) And just later up with soap before wacking away at the (quite frankly) pathetic growth of hair. (I couldn't grow a beard if I wanted to. The durn stuff grows in weird patches on my face!)
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I learned to use a straight razor in Beauty School while some guys chose to use the gay one Smile ...JUST KIDDING!!!!!!
I really did use a straight razor in Beauty School (23 years ago) and it's the closest shave you can get as far as I know!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
What razor do I use?

Simple: Verizon!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I use a Shick Quatro with liquid hand soap, but I must use a pig brissel brush.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What razor do you use? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL