The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ambitious Card Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Clarissa

I really like the Snap Double, it's a really nice, novel way to do a DL and I use it from time to time. However, (and this is just my opinion) I wouldn't practice it to the exclusion of another type of DL. I can immediately think of one serious handicap with the Snap Double. If you have a card outjogged and you need to turn another double, you will not be able to execute it. So yes, get it down, but I personally think you need to have another one at your disposal. And for me that is (practiced essentially to the exclusion of all others) the Instantaneous DL. (Credit, anyone?).
My 0.015

Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Wow! That Tommy Wonder is amazing!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Was Amazing. He passed away a few years ago of cancer. He is sorely missed.

My favorite line of his.." You know I became a magician to find out how I do this??"
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
While there is nothing wrong with having a couple of DL/DT's , as I myself said I also want a DT from the middle of the deck. What I mean is...practice one to the exclusion of all others until that one is mastered.

While there may be situations where one DT may be better than the one you are using of course,... add it to your repertoire, but what SHOULD be avoided is, the practicing 5 or 6 different DT/DL's simultaneously. That would just lead to confusion, and none would be mastered in my humble opinion.

Also, there are many DL/DT's that do exactly the same thing. Just in different ways. I think a distinction needs to be made about different DT's that fulfill different functions, ( a DT from top... a DT from the middle ... a DT that allows an Outjogged display... etc.) and different DT/DL's that basically fill the same function but look different.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 15:10, clarissa35f wrote:
Konjurer, I will look into that. Just curious. I really like the Jennings Snap cause it looks very invisible... How deceptive is the Knock Out DL?

I think it's pretty deceptive. I feel much more confident in getting a good double every time. Here's a quick video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAn3XF5udRs

You can see I pretty comfortable with the card before the replacement. I can snap it and really give the illusion of handling one card. I believe it is credited to Martin Nash and Wilson does a great job of teaching it.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On 2008-05-31 17:09, clarissa35f wrote:
Also, there are many DL/DT's that do exactly the same thing. Just in different ways. I think a distinction needs to be made about different DT's that fulfill different functions, ( a DT from top... a DT from the middle ... a DT that allows an Outjogged display... etc.) and different DT/DL's that basically fill the same function but look different.

Greg Wilson has a bunch of different purpose DLs. Taking a DL from a fan, taking a DL from a dribble, taking a DL from a tabled deck, using DLs for color changes and something he calls an illogical double which is showing the top card (a double), then dropping it face down on the table - when the tabled card is flipped over it has changed for a very cool effect.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Quote:
On 2008-05-31 17:02, clarissa35f wrote:
Was Amazing. He passed away a few years ago of cancer. He is sorely missed.

My favorite line of his.." You know I became a magician to find out how I do this??"

That's too bad about his passing, but that line is hilarious! Smile

I'd be happy if I could just do the first phase of the trick where he brings her card to the top the first time!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Scott-Thanks for the info. That trick looks SICK! And I'm an old nerd who usually doesn't say hip, modern stuff like "sick" unless I have the flu. I HAVE to learn this!
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Answering my own question - Dr Jacob Daley

Preston, maybe look into Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD. It teaches his own routine, which has about 10 phases and then he teaches about another 10 or so moves, all of which you can use to develop your own routine.
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ambitious Card Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL